Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 02:18 PM
bourbon!

Fruit snacks are where it's at for me. I'll have to try gummy bears.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Sour Patch Kids.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM

I like these:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:57 PM

You're correct about the composition.
However, the sites of metabolism of are different. Sucrose is metabolized in the small intestine. Fructose is metabolized primarily by the liver. It can be turned into glucose and be used for energy just like glucose. But unlike glucose where fructose enters the "breakdown of glucose for energy" pathway can make fructose turn into fats without regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I believe that sucrose is just one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose, and is cleaved almost instantaneously once in your body. I'm not sure if there is a metabolic difference between eating sucrose and equal parts glucose and fructose.

I vote for maple syrup though Best was when my grandfather would make it himself!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Would you like to share mine? They are still warm. They've been in my pocket all day.
Bueller . . . . Bueller . . . . Bueller
Old 03-04-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
You should try the sugar free Haribos. Judging from the Amazon reviews they definitely impact your performance.
came here to post that
Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I believe you are right about the sucrose. disacharide, the others are mono?

Anyway, you mentioned MAPLE SYRUP!! My wee little sugarhouse, my evaporator in action (we just finished our second run before the cold snap):
That is a sweet (no pun intended) set up. The first year my grand parents tried to do it, probably around 1970) they brought they were boiling the sap outside and then they decided to bring it into the house 'to finish it'... turns out they were no where near done, and the resulting steam in the house caused all the wall paper on the first floor of the house to peel off. They tore the house down a few years later and rebuilt it (it was a civil war era farm house in poor condition, so the wall paper wasn't a huge loss).

How many gallons do you make per year? (or, do you measure in quarts?)

Do you make enough to sell locally? Since my grandfather died, I don't have a family source anymore. Remind me where in Vermont you are again, I might have to ride over to get some of your product.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 PM

The Haribo gummy bears from Amazon are supposedly from Germany. The fizzy cola flavor is on sale, just ordered 12 5 ounce packs for $9.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Vendor

Quote:

Anyway, you mentioned MAPLE SYRUP!! My wee little sugarhouse, my evaporator in action (we just finished our second run before the cold snap):
That's awesome!

Cyclingtips did a writeup on those gummy bears:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/pete...s-gummy-bears/
Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Bueller . . . . Bueller . . . . Bueller
Yay! Someone got it!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 AM

A local natural living grocery store sells vegan gummy worms. Unfortunately they are bulk so no idea of the brand. The texture is slightly different but the taste is better. I think they are set with pectin rather than gelatin.

Haribos are also on my go to list.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:20 AM

Whole Foods has good stroopwafels in their bakery section. The ones sold by weight, not prepackaged. My friend in Amsterdam brings stroopwafels every time he visits the US, and there is little if any difference. I tend to be fairly discerning about food, so I was really surprised by how good the Whole Foods version tastes.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Gotta go with the bears...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bears.jpg (45.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
That is a sweet (no pun intended) set up. The first year my grand parents tried to do it, probably around 1970) they brought they were boiling the sap outside and then they decided to bring it into the house 'to finish it'... turns out they were no where near done, and the resulting steam in the house caused all the wall paper on the first floor of the house to peel off. They tore the house down a few years later and rebuilt it (it was a civil war era farm house in poor condition, so the wall paper wasn't a huge loss).

How many gallons do you make per year? (or, do you measure in quarts?)

Do you make enough to sell locally? Since my grandfather died, I don't have a family source anymore. Remind me where in Vermont you are again, I might have to ride over to get some of your product.
MT, Thanks for the nice comments. When you boil off about 30 gallons of liquid to get a gallon of syrup, that's a lot of water vapor, yreah.
Making maple syrup is one of the great ways to get outside in the early spring when the weather is not much good for anything else. We do it the old fashioned way, with buckets, hence a high level of work. So, we don't do it commercially. Sugaring for us has two or three runs (weekends). Its more of a party than an enterprise. We'll make 3, 4, 5 gallons, call it good, and have enough to use all year and give away for presents or trade for honey or something. We're on the other side of the state, in Hinesburg, not far from the Addison County line. There are a lot of local sugarers here, with great product. I'm sure there are plenty down in the Hanover area too. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday look like they might be days for good sap runs. If you are out and about, you can just look for the steam rising in the woods, and stop in to a sugar house. The proprietors are usually happy to have visitors.

Sorry for the thread drift from the main gummy topic!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:

oh man...a small tear falls. My sister had a framstead in Mn with a nice stand of Sugar Maple. They did not have such a sweet set up as this, just the large pan setup outside over a fire. A good year for them would be about 12 Gal. I really thing the limiting factor was just the labor!

She sold the farm recently but had kept me well stocked in syrup for years.
it was fun comparing the syrups from one season to the next. Single origin Syrup. Very different from the blended stuff.

Keep it up. Maple Gummies anyone?