Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Don't tell Moots but I also have 3 Serotta's (TDF Lugged, Meivici, and CST), Ibis Silk Ti and a Colnago C50. As we all know I am SOL if those bikes break.

Cool, so when you get back your Moots, you'll realize that you need to sell your superfluous Silk Ti. To me
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
Don't tell Moots but I also have 3 Serotta's (TDF Lugged, Meivici, and CST), Ibis Silk Ti and a Colnago C50. As we all know I am SOL if those bikes break.

Cool, so when you get back your Moots, you'll realize that you need to sell your superfluous Silk Ti. To me
LoL I actually owed two Silk-Ti's for the longest time. The SilkTi is an amazing machine if something ever happened to my original SilkTi I wanted a backup. I finally sold my backup SilkTi to a guy in Singapore. I really want a 29er SilkTi but I can't swallow the price of a new one right now and I have yet to find a second hand 29er SilkTi in my size.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Yup, I too love Moots. Cool they covered the return shipping too. Were the refurb and bearings included no cost to you? Just curious. If so that is incredible. Proud owner of two Moots.
Yep Moots is covering everything. Iam going to buy a new Cable set, brake pads and seals for the fox fork and I should be good to go.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Cool. Any info provided about the nature of the failure?
Moots didn't offer an insight but as BobO pointed out the crack looks to of originated at the start stop of the weld. Then the crack propogated around the tube in the weakest direction. Iam betting the tube has been cracked for 4 or 5 years. Glad it wasn't Carbon!

I will post photos of the repair when I get it back.

Last edited by Satellite; 03-24-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
Moots didn't offer an insight but as BobO pointed out the crack look to of originated at the start stop of the weld. Then the crack propogated around the tube in the weakest direction. Iam betting the tube has been cracked for 4 or 5 years. Glad it wasn't Carbon!

I will post photos of the repair when I get it back.
I don't expect a 0% failure rate of people I do business with, I do however, expect people to treat me with fairness when something goes wrong. It sounds as though Moots has acted with integrity, kudos to them. They have moved up on my personal list of bike builders.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Yep Moots is covering everything. Iam going to buy a new Cable set, brake pads and seals for the fox fork and I should be good to go.
Not surprised. They are a class act.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:31 PM

Mootaineer Update and correction

Quote:
So Moots is pretty much the bike company all bike companies should aspire to be.

So one big huge shout out to Moots. Not only did they repair my 14 year old frame but they paid for return shipping and replaced the bearings and refurbished the frame. There isn't much else you can ask from a Manufacture. I will continue to be a loyal Moots owner.

I will post some photos when I get the Mootaineer back to show the repair. I am very interested to see how they fixed it. Got to love Titanium.

Thanks Moots,

Satellite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Yup, I too love Moots. Cool they covered the return shipping too. Were the refurb and bearings included no cost to you? Just curious. If so that is incredible. Proud owner of two Moots.
Quote:

So my Mootaineer is back and ready be built back up. Repair looks solid not sure what they did with the actual crack but there is now a plate welded over where the crack is/was. Moots also did a refurbish on the bike complete with new decals. A Mr. Moots decal is in place of the "Mootaineer" Model name on the top tube.

I had asked if Moots could drill out the V-Brake cable stops so I could run a hydraulic line and eliminate the Problem Solver solution. I would have paid for the service. That was a no go they don't modify the frame once built. So I am back to using the problem solver.

I would like to make a correction Moots did in fact charge me for the return shipping back to me. When I inquired about why they pay for shipping back to the factory and charge the customer for return shipping (seemed backwards to me). I was informed warranty repairs don't include shipping either way but because, "I am kind of a big deal" (just kidding) they paid for the initial shipping. So the process cost me a hair over $45 and the time to tear the bike down and rebuild.

The repair took less than a month to and from my porch. I shipped the frame on 15 March and had it back on 10 April. I was told the frame repair was done very quickly the hold up was the refurbish. Either way I wasn't in a rush I have an amazing back up Mountain Bike (Ibis Silk-Ti).

The refurbish came out amazing, two little marks are distinguishable where I got some chain suck. Ti cleans up extremely well, I almost don't want to build it back up.

My only regret I was hoping to be able to jump up to a 29er but I am pretty excited to have my Mootaineer back. I bet a 29er Mootaineer would be an amazing bike.

Some photos for your viewing enjoyment.

Thanks again Moots!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (1).jpg (45.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (2).jpg (42.5 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (3).jpg (33.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (9).jpg (48.1 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (4).jpg (36.5 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (7).jpg (45.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg MootaineerRepair (8).jpg (55.6 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by Satellite; 04-22-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM

So cool that the frame gets a new life. I had Moots refininsh a YBB SL after having them add disc tabs to the frame, and know what you mean about almost not wanting to build the frame back up. The frame looks brand new.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
So cool that the frame gets a new life. I had Moots refininsh a YBB SL after having them add disc tabs to the frame, and know what you mean about almost not wanting to build the frame back up. The frame looks brand new.
So true but I started to add one thing here one thing there and before you know it I am knee deep in the rebuild. I have to take a deep breath and decide if I am ready to tackle the fork rebuild right now. I can't really go any further with out adding the fork. I just got the headset pressed in and I am really wanting to just finish. So I am sure the fork is about to be dismantled.

Last edited by Satellite; 04-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM

I got a Rigor off ebay. The seller had it refurbished by Moots and then never built it up before selling. It's a 2002 model that looks brand new. It had no chain suck too so that was cool. It looked as if it was built yesterday. Love Moots.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Well I finally found out what Moots did. Something stuck me when I looked at the photos of the crack I posted here. Moots must have replaced the whole tube??? Below is my question to Moots and there response. Thanks again Mr. Moots!!!

Moots,

I was looking over the Mootaineer, did Moots do a complete tube replacement? At first I thought the crack was just under the gusset that was added. On closer inspection I recall the crack going 3/4 around the tube and I can't find any trace of where the crack was. So I am assuming you replaced the whole tube or the whole rearend?

This is just a curiosity question I have full confidence the frame is fixed and ready to build back up and ride. Thanks for the repair I truly love my Mootaineer. The Mootaineer would be an amazing 29er platform.

Best regards,

Satellite

Satellite,

We were able to use a refurbished rear-end we had on the shelf. It was one of the updated ones with the gussets.

If you have any other questions let us know.

Thanks again and talk to you soon,

Mr. Moots
2545 Copper Ridge Dr.
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
moots.com
Old 05-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Customer service at its best! Love Moots bikes and also love to hear Moots beeing great ppl!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well I finally found out what Moots did. Something stuck me when I looked at the photos of the crack I posted here. Moots must have replaced the whole tube??? Below is my question to Moots and there response. Thanks again Mr. Moots!!!
Excellent!