Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 PM

It's DEFINITELY the titanium stem.

In a comparable diameter, titanium will flex more than steel. That's why titanium frame tubes are larger than steel tubes, and why welded aluminum stems are larger in diameter than solid cast aluminum stems of yore.

Go back to an older Cinelli 1/A or TTT stem, or if you really want stiff, get a welded steel stem such as an older Salsa or perhaps a custom threadless stem such as made by Soulcraft, and use an adapter.

Remember, the pros of yesteryear had no problems with quill stems and 26.0mm bars and they were faster than you!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
It's DEFINITELY the titanium stem.

In a comparable diameter, titanium will flex more than steel. That's why titanium frame tubes are larger than steel tubes, and why welded aluminum stems are larger in diameter than solid cast aluminum stems of yore.

Go back to an older Cinelli 1/A or TTT stem, or if you really want stiff, get a welded steel stem such as an older Salsa or perhaps a custom threadless stem such as made by Soulcraft, and use an adapter.

Remember, the pros of yesteryear had no problems with quill stems and 26.0mm bars and they were faster than you!
Reading this thread reminds me that I need to pick up a nice stem for my Ritchey Road Logic 20th anniversary repaint/rebuild. Considering 3ttt Status, Cinelli Pinocchio, Cinelli XA, or Nitto Pearl. Headed to some vintage bike shops in Tokyo for some variety. Very curious to see how different this setup will be compared to the modern oversized head tube/Bars/stem setup on the Zank Alu.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
You got that right! I rode quills in the 90's of course like everyone else on my road and mtb rigs - just forgot what it felt like after a few years away.

I ran out of time to do the stem swap tonight, but I should get to it tomorrow - will report.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Could be the Ti stem.

I was worried about cockpit stiffness when I got my MX Leader last summer. All of my prior bikes have had threadless. I landed on a TIG'ed steel ITM Eclypse stem (110mm) and Deda 215 shallow round bar and have not noticed any flex.

A steel stem would be worth trying, and would be a minimal investment.

BTW - that's a gorgeous MXL you got there - looks like the same graphics with different colors as what I'm working on? How do you like the ride overall and how long have you had it? Is it a permanent stable fixture, or passing through?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:08 AM

A steel stem can help, but keep in mind that a lot of the flex is from the quill-steerer interface. A threadless steerer-stem combo, even in 1" diameter will be considerably stiffer. If you are at all contemplating a custom stem, you may as well get a fork / steerer replaced, adding a commercial stem. (A Ritchey WCS or Syntace or an X2 will look reasonably slim, in good proportion to the frame tubes.)
Nice bike, BTW!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM

This Syncros feels much better - may not be the final choice, but it's a good improvement.

I still haven't taken it for a proper long ride; some short punchy efforts felt good though and it liked being mashed up some climbs. The Campy stuff is in great shape, better than I thought at first, and the shifting is super crisp. Love me a Regal(e) saddle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Dig the paint.

Today I did a gravel ride. Huge pot holes, washboards with lots of bunny hops and lifting the front end to get over bumps. Never once did it occur to me my quill stem was flexing.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 PM

That actually looks better than I thought. It matches the post and wheels nicely.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 PM

I like it.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 PM

I've found my Winter stem is plenty stiff.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I've found my Winter stem is plenty stiff.

That's one hawt stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
BTW - that's a gorgeous MXL you got there - looks like the same graphics with different colors as what I'm working on? How do you like the ride overall and how long have you had it? Is it a permanent stable fixture, or passing through?
It's my favorite bike that I own, by far. I built it up last June or July with a 6800 group. Over the winter, I upgraded a few parts to 9000 and brought over those T11 > CX-Ray > Archetype wheels from another build, which really cemented its place atop my collection.

It's as much a keeper as any bike could be for someone who likes to try out all kinds of different stuff.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Syncros

Keep an eye on that Syncros stem- those tended to break.