Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Dump-truck hits rider in our group this morning

Yes, the title is correct...we had a dump-truck run into the back of one of our riders this morning on our group ride. Amazingly, she is going to be okay...the same can't be said for her bike.

This is a weekly ride we do all year long, and we typically have about 1/2 dozen or so in the group. The ride was just getting started and we were heading east, and the sun was just coming up and directly in the eyes of anyone going in that direction. Two of us were a little ways in front, with a third rider hanging back waiting on the last rider who was 100ft or so behind him. The road is a fairly quite two lane rural road, but there were a bunch of dump-trucks on there today. The rider was just rolling along and she heard the truck come up behind her and she knew she was going to be hit.

She has a fair amount of road rash, but no broken bones or other injuries. The ambulance took her to the ER and they checked her out, and didn't find any issues other than the road rash. It amazing that her injuries aren't more serious or even worse.

We are going to need to rethink riding this stretch of road until the sun shifts a little more out of the eyes of the drivers.

I'm really thankful to have this riding pal still with us today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LindsayBikeCrash.jpg (148.9 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by Keith A; 09-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Wow Keith
The result could have so much worse. I get nervous riding into the sun for that reason and started to always have a blinky going on any road ride. I'd rather be paranoid .

I'm so glad to hear your friend is okay.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Yes, it really could have been bad...very bad. At least two of us had rear lights on, and I run my rear light much of the time now...certainly anytime it's remotely close to dawn or dusk.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Glad she's ok. Wow.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Small ring

So glad this isn't another one of 'those stories'. Not many people get hit by a heavy truck and come out 'okay'.

Tell her to lawyer up, and not to discount what seems to be healing today for what may be debilitating injuries in a few years.

Been there.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Administrator

i was on a road unexpectedly the other day with the sun low in the sky and glaring down. i felt VERY uneasy and got off of it as soon as i could. it's of course not an excuse for the driver in any way, but it can be very difficult to see the full road in front of you when the sun is just such in the sky.

glad that it appears to be relatively minor injuries, considering the mass involved.

stay safe all!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Classics Fan

damn, glad she's doing fair (given the situation).

Since we (cyclists) are in a pretty vulnerable position, it seems best to avoid such conditions for the sake of safety. (even when it is our legal right to ride those roads.)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i was on a road unexpectedly the other day with the sun low in the sky and glaring down. i felt VERY uneasy and got off of it as soon as i could. it's of course not an excuse for the driver in any way, but it can be very difficult to see the full road in front of you when the sun is just such in the sky.

glad that it appears to be relatively minor injuries, considering the mass involved.

stay safe all!
We are only on this stretch of road going east into the sun for a short distance, but obviously any distance is long enough for this to happen. Unfortunately, there isn't another good way to get to where we are going without using this road...but I'm not sure I want to be on there again until the sun shifts a bit more.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
We are only on this stretch of road going east into the sun for a short distance, but obviously any distance is long enough for this to happen. Unfortunately, there isn't another good way to get to where we are going without using this road...but I'm not sure I want to be on there again until the sun shifts a bit more.
Sometimes it is just a matter of 10 minutes earlier or later. I will say that if the group is on high alert, (which I'm sure you will be) and briefed that the area is a dangerous section, people will be more cautious, and have bail out options in mind. Sad but true, if it is a section of road that you cannot avoid.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Administrator

DANG!! Very glad no got seriously hurt or worse there!

William
Old 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Picshooter

Were the cops called? I am happy to hear it's not worse. And would be really happy to hear it won't discourage her from riding again.

I don't like disparaging the truck driving profession but on this side of Florida we have too many of what I refer to as unprofessional dump truck drivers.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 PM
cmg

glad to hear her injuries aren't any worse. I had a car lock up the wheels behind me earlier this year. Took me a long while to go back down that road again.

"Tell her to lawyer up, and not to discount what seems to be healing today for what may be debilitating injuries in a few years." Kind of really agree with this. no matter the outcome take them to court.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 PM

This is why I ride with a Dinotte on at all hours -- wishing the best for your friend's speedy recovery!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:14 PM

I hope she ends up 100% OK.

I would not assume that the sun was the cause of the accident. Were the police called and a report filed? I would strongly suggest that the driver's phone be examined. Remember that dump truck drivers have a CDL. Their livelihood depends on it and a clean driving record. She has that working for her. Have the cops get the phone.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Absolutely, the cops were called and the driver did wait and was very apologetic. However, none of us really spoke to him as we were focused on helping our friend. She was in a state of shock, and was very worried that her injuries were serious and so we were busy trying to keep her calm while we waited on the EMT to arrive.

The FHP called me and asked for a statement of what happened. I assume my friend should be able to get their report of what action was taken.