Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Have you tried catching him at his day job?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Have you tried catching him at his day job?
I don't know what this is, or if it exists.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Yes but addiction is a terrible thing and I'm having a tough time holding him responsible. It's getting harder and harder to give him the benefit of the doubt though, as the doubt dries up.
As someone who has been too close to addictions too many times, I can tell you that you do him no service by not holding him responsible. Addicts need people to hold them accountable, that is part of the path towards recovery.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM

If he's local you might try police and/or small claims court. Had a similar situation with a landscaper many years ago and a $10k deposit. Long story but references and reputation were solid. Unfortunately he was snorting deposit and asking for more "to secure materials". That was part of the hook that undid him - larceny by false pretenses. Local police helped pursue him and file court proceedings. He skipped out on trial dates and eventually was tossed in jail for it - a few times. Was a long ordeal and took diligent pursuit, but court forced him to return most of the deposit. When he missed payments they tracked him down and gave him more jail time.

I tried the "nice guy" approach for a while and he played it for all it was worth ... until I decided there was no value to me or to him to let it slide.

Good luck - hope it works out for all parties.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
His shop is 4 miles from my office in brooklyn.
if he's in as bad of shape as he claims to be, that can't possibly last too long.

rent in BK aint cheap, thats for sure.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 PM

How would you like to be treated if you were in this situation? I have no personal experience, but that is all I can come to. I doubt holding his feet to the fire is going to help him, and doubt you will get your money back as mentioned prior.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
His shop is 4 miles from my office in brooklyn.

But - his sister said he's in a rehab facility (in and out between that and a halfway house) and the stuff is in storage. Man, what I would give to get into that storage unit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would get back in touch with the sister and het her to help you out getting your parts back. Tell her that you will involve the police and courts if she won't help.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I would get back in touch with the sister and het her to help you out getting your parts back. Tell her that you will involve the police and courts if she won't help.

While I agree this person shouldn't be allowed to slide out of their obligation it I don't agree with threatening his sister with legal recourse. Would you like it if you had a deadbeat sibling or friend and a person who they pissed off or cheated came threatening you? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Edit: Now if you mean against her brother then by all means go ahead. I had an initial reaction reading your post but now see it from a different light.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
While I agree this person shouldn't be allowed to slide out of their obligation it I don't agree with threatening his sister with legal recourse. Would you like it if you had a deadbeat sibling or friend and a person who they pissed off or cheated came threatening you? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Edit: Now if you mean against her brother then by all means go ahead. I had an initial reaction reading your post but now see it from a different light.
Defiantly against her brother, there is no recourse available against the sister. I was just saying use the relationship with her to get something...anything out of this. With the situation described, I would be surprised if anything is received.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
if he's in as bad of shape as he claims to be, that can't possibly last too long.

rent in BK aint cheap, thats for sure.
I think he mentioned all his stuff is in storage, there is no more shop I don't think. There is also no more website. Its a tough situation for sure. I would be happy to just get the parts back but does he even till have the parts?!?!? thats the question
Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 PM

So have you given him money as well as components that will be used to assemble the frames he'd have built for you into bikes?

dave
Old 09-19-2017, 02:18 PM

That cracks me up, sadly. Reason why is a buddy of mine did exactly that with the founder of Spooky years ago. Brand new Di2 group, if I recall. Boy was that Spooky guy a trainwreck.

Sounds like anyone and anything associated with Spooky is a trainwreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
So have you given him money as well as components that will be used to assemble the frames he'd have built for you into bikes?

dave
Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
That cracks me up, sadly. Reason why is a buddy of mine did exactly that with the founder of Spooky years ago. Brand new Di2 group, if I recall. Boy was that Spooky guy a trainwreck.

Sounds like anyone and anything associated with Spooky is a trainwreck.
I think Frank the Welder is a reliable guy/ never heard a single bad thing about him so its not fair to say that.

but yes, Spooky was a disaster of a business.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

dave
Yes. He has 2 frames completely paid for, + 3 deposits.

A few forks and one complete gruppo, wheels included.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Administrator

i understand if you dont want to get into it, but how is it that he winds up with two bikes that are completely paid for?