Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt review

After years of just using a basic cyclometer I wanted something to assist with navigation when riding in unfamiliar areas. I downloaded a route sheet from some website and printed it out for the ride. Other than the pain of having to keep pulling it out of my pocket to check for the next turn I found it a really nice change to be exploring new areas. So, what GPS to get?

Over the years I would check out the reviews of the latest Garmin but was put off by all the complaints. This time, the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt got my attention. The reviews were very positive, of course there are always some minor nits with any product, so I picked one up at my local REI.

Setup was a breeze but you do need a smartphone to do so. These days that is not much of a hindrance though. The Bolt has a really sleek design that integrates the unit with its mount to make it very aerodynamic. While the gain of a watt matters little to me I do like the sleek design.

What at first seemed like drawbacks actually turned out to be features. The B&W screen is actually much more readable in the sunlight as opposed to Garmin’s color one. The Bolt comes with global maps but very few street names. However, when you use RideWithGPS or Komoot to create maps you get turn-by-turn directions that pop up just prior to each turn. It also beeps to remind you and has different tones for a correct turn as opposed to a wrong one. It does not re-route you though. It also uses buttons instead of a touchscreen but they work in the wet or dry, gloves or bare fingers. You can easily scroll through pages of data or customize what you want to see. Zoom buttons on the right side let you show 9 data fields all the way down to one. It pairs with all sorts of sensors but I don’t track power/heart rate/cadence etc. When back from a ride it automatically downloads your data to the Wahoo phone app, on your home wireless, and uploads to RideWithGPS, or any other site you link it with using the phone app.

So, I am really impressed with this device. It has way more data that I really need, or want, but it makes riding in new areas so much more fun. I know some enjoy getting lost but I’ve been there and have little appetite for going back. Running out of food and energy and not sure how many hills and miles are left in the ride. Thank you technology!

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 09-15-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Category VI

But does it work with Stray-Va?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
But does it work with Stray-Va?
Yes. No issues. But if you download a route from strava there are no turn by turn directions just a map. I think this is a Strava issue ans not a whaoo issue. The only minus I see with the element is the battery life is not as long and the 510 garmin. I can get about 6hrs with mapping using the wahoo.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Yes. No issues. But if you download a route from strava there are no turn by turn directions just a map. I think this is a Strava issue ans not a whaoo issue. The only minus I see with the element is the battery life is not as long and the 510 garmin. I can get about 6hrs with mapping using the wahoo.
I've had the opposite experience. I generally get about 12 hours on a ride, or closer to 10 hours if I'm mapping. But I have a slim battery pack that I'll bring with me if I know I'll be out sun up to sun down, or close to it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 AM

A riding buddy has one paired to a Quarq. I get a kick out of making him light up the red lights.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I generally get about 12 hours on a ride, or closer to 10 hours if I'm mapping. But I have a slim battery pack that I'll bring with me if I know I'll be out sun up to sun down, or close to it.
Hmmm. definitely not the case with me. Its no big deal since if I am on A lone ride like that I bring an external battery pack. Wonder if I have my setting on battery drain mode.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 AM

I echo Tim's comments above. I dumped my Garmin's after reading DCR's review of the Bolt and a few other sites. Having setup via an app at first seemed a little clumsy, but once you start playing around with it the device/app it's a pretty slick and easy way to accomplish the tasks. Setting up the Stages PM took all of 5 seconds. The display is excellent and the data field configuration is very flexible. Turn by turn directions and mapping is a huge plus. I would imagine the other features will be easily added/integrated due to the way the device is configured.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 AM

I am a fan as well and very similar to the OP, this is my first GPS computer. We just bought the Mini for my wife and it's ok as an alternative to just a basic bike computer but I have to say that I like the size and functionality of the Bolt.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM

I also have excellent battery life. Something might be wrong with yours. I can easily get 12 hours when using navigation.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM

I so want to switch to a Bolt from my 510, but there's not support for the Garmin Varia radar light, which I can't ride without anymore.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospastic View Post
I also have excellent battery life. Something might be wrong with yours. I can easily get 12 hours when using navigation.
Going to know. I must have something wrong with my settings
Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Going to know. I must have something wrong with my settings
I don't know - I had pretty short battery life, too, when I was mapping. I did an 86 mile ride (Bike MS: Colorado) and my battery died after just 2/3 of the ride. I even only have data from the first 50 minutes!

Maybe I'll ask Wahoo what drains the battery quickly...

But, like the OP, I really like my Bolt. Now that they have added workouts via TrainingPeaks and Today's Plan I like it even more.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Just picked one up. Setup is already light years ahead of Garmin.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM

these are my primary reasons to go to wahoo from my garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

The B&W screen is actually much more readable in the sunlight as opposed to Garmin’s color one. ....

It also uses buttons instead of a touchscreen but they work in the wet or dry, gloves or bare fingers. .....

Tim
Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM

What a timely thread! I just bought one and received it last week. I got mine for "free" using attaboy points through my employer to purchase REI gift cards, and ordered online via REI's website.

Like a doofus, I actually ordered the wrong device. I added the Wahoo to my cart, and had intended to buy a Garmin 520. My wife did the final checkout because she wanted something via REI as well. I didn't notice the error until I got a shipping confirmation from REI. The units were identically priced, and both were the same shape - so it just happened.

I did some more research before I received the Wahoo and it had such good reviews that I decided not to exchange it when it arrived.

I got it to use with a power meter, which is also new to me. I'm one of the last guys around to have been using a old, wired computer up until now. The most advanced data that it displayed was average speed.

Setup via the cel phone was probably easier than fooling around with the head unit itself. The setup process and connection was easy. I'm still fiddling with the data fields that I want displayed. Power output seems consistent based on my effort, so far. I don't have too much of a baseline (some computrainer work).

I doubt that I will use the mapping function. I'm pretty familiar with the roads around here, so I have it turned off. I've ridden about 7 hours with the unit and last night it said that I sill have 55% battery life. I can't complain about that.

There are a lot of things that I am still learning. I synced it to TrainingPeaks today. That is also new to me. It was super easy.

The purpose for all of this stuff for me is to do workouts with power as a factor. I like doing structured workouts, and ride a lot on my own, so I think I will like it. Now I just need to figure out the basics (what my FTP is, how to base workouts on it,, what the numbers can tell me about my training progress). I hope that my TT's next season can benefit from this.

Last edited by berserk87; 09-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.