Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
This is why I ride with a Dinotte on at all hours -- wishing the best for your friend's speedy recovery!
Great idea, but if you're riding into a bright sun low in the sky, even that may not be enough. Rode with someone for several years who would plan routes this time of the year specifically to avoid that scenario.

Glad to hear only minor injuries.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 PM

As with the others, glad she is ok.

I've pretty much given up/refuse to ride those certain hours when the sun is at those angles. Just not worth it.

Even last night as my daughter logging some behind the wheel hours for her license, we hit that bright sun/low angle. Could not even really see the cars in front of us, let alone someone on a bike(blinky light or not).
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Sorry to hear this. Speedy recovery, and ride safe.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Good to hear shes ok. Hope this doesn't discourage her from riding on the road.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM

I'm glad she's okay!

Too often it doesn't work out like that - I'm going to a wake tomorrow night for a guy I knew from high school who was struck and killed last week.

I also, like many others, now ride with a "blinky" at all times ... even though I understand it might not help.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Picshooter

Keith,
It sounds like you did everything right. Troopers have a time frame to complete an accident report. If there are injuries than they should use a long form. I purchased mine online. It took about a week and was $16. I purchased mine (in Fl) from www.Buycrash.com
I hope she heals well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Absolutely, the cops were called and the driver did wait and was very apologetic. However, none of us really spoke to him as we were focused on helping our friend. She was in a state of shock, and was very worried that her injuries were serious and so we were busy trying to keep her calm while we waited on the EMT to arrive.

The FHP called me and asked for a statement of what happened. I assume my friend should be able to get their report of what action was taken.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Glad to hear she wasn't seriously injured.

Friend who helps me with hay drove into my barnyard a couple of weeks ago and drove over my air compressor. Not as big a lump as a cyclist, but he was probably only going 10 mph and couldn't see it for the sun.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 PM

So sorry to hear about this. I hope she heals up. If it had been one of the ladies in our group I probably would have been invited for a ride in the Police car. Your composure is to be applauded.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 AM

Sigh of relief that your friend is not seriously injured. Based on the thread title I opened prepared to read something different. Wishing her a speedy and full recovery.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 AM

Keith, good to know she's doing ok. That's a scary situation to find yourself in.
I had a guy stop me one day & tell me that, because of the sun angle, he didn't see me until he was right on top of me. I hadn't thought about the cars seeing me because of the sun. I did what you are doing - avoided that road at that time for a few weeks. Sometimes it just takes being aware & going the other direction to make yourself safer.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Grateful that she is ok. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombtfslpk View Post
So sorry to hear about this. I hope she heals up. If it had been one of the ladies in our group I probably would have been invited for a ride in the Police car. Your composure is to be applauded.
We had one of the other cyclist in our group ride in the ambulance with her, and my friend asked me to ride to her car and then drive it to the hospital. We also arranged to for someone to pick up her bike from the side of the road -- so we made sure she was taken care and had a friendly face with her the whole time.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Yes, the title is correct...we had a dump-truck run into the back of one of our riders this morning on our group ride. Amazingly, she is going to be okay...the same can't be said for her bike.

This is a weekly ride we do all year long, and we typically have about 1/2 dozen or so in the group. The ride was just getting started and we were heading east, and the sun was just coming up and directly in the eyes of anyone going in that direction. Two of us were a little ways in front, with a third rider hanging back waiting on the last rider who was 100ft or so behind him. The road is a fairly quite two lane rural road, but there were a bunch of dump-trucks on there today. The rider was just rolling along and she heard the truck come up behind her and she knew she was going to be hit.

She has a fair amount of road rash, but no broken bones or other injuries. The ambulance took her to the ER and they checked her out, and didn't find any issues other than the road rash. It amazing that her injuries aren't more serious or even worse.

We are going to need to rethink riding this stretch of road until the sun shifts a little more out of the eyes of the drivers.

I'm really thankful to have this riding pal still with us today.
Glad she is going to be OK..I HOPE you called the police(see that you did)..Have her get a good lawyer too, even if the driver was 'apologetic'..their insurance company will try to save $..(from a guy who was hit from behind by a 'commercial' vehicle..).

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-22-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM

glad she's alright overall and that injuries weren't more serious. that could've been quite bad.

as others said, best to do everything you can to avoid riding into/away from the sun, especially this time of year when we're trying to maximize riding time and it's low in the sky.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
We had one of the other cyclist in our group ride in the ambulance with her, and my friend asked me to ride to her car and then drive it to the hospital. We also arranged to for someone to pick up her bike from the side of the road -- so we made sure she was taken care and had a friendly face with her the whole time.
Keith pal, y'all did a superb job taking care of your friend. Hope she recovers well.