Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM
kg

DA 9001 chews RD cables too!

I've been using DA 9001 shifters for a handful of months now, but my rear shifter stopped working with about 10km (and one unfortunate climb) to go on yesterdays ride, leaving me in my 39x11.

It turns out that the cable had begun to fray and one broken strand of cable was sticking up enough that is blocked the shifter from moving.

Curiously, the fraying is not right at the cable head but starts about 1cm down and extends for about 1cm. There's clearly something rubbing the cable in the shifter assembly.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know that DA 9000 suffered from a problem with the cables, but I thought a) the problem was associated with chewing the heads off like my 7800 used to and b) this particular problem was fixed with 9001. Is my issue the same-old, same-old or something else?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Same thing happened to me on 9001 shifter. I know that it is not supposed to happen.
Mine went almost all the way through- when I pulled on it, the cable snapped.
I also had a 1500 foot climb between where I was and home.
Took my mini tool and moved derailleur limit in as far as it would go- this put the chain on the 14 instead of the 11. 26 min @ 46 rpm later I was at the top of the climb.
I don't even know where to go with this- I was all over Shimano 1st time around with the 9000 shifters. I got warranty replacements on all of those. Not sure that I want to start again with these.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Vendor

Does this happen with Ultegra as well? Or is it just a Dura Ace problem? Anecdotally, friends have complained that since Shimano started tucking the cables under the bar tape it's been a problem but I didn't know it happened with 7800 too.

I don't know about the other 'levels' of Shimano.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Hmm, I don't know anything about the 9000/1 shifting setup. I do however have/had 7800 setup on every one of my bikes for more than a few years now, and not one of them have had any fraying. Absolutely every one of the bikes (which I still have, i.e. not sold) are still on their original shifter cables.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I've been using DA 9001 shifters for a handful of months now, but my rear shifter stopped working with about 10km (and one unfortunate climb) to go on yesterdays ride, leaving me in my 39x11.

It turns out that the cable had begun to fray and one broken strand of cable was sticking up enough that is blocked the shifter from moving.

Curiously, the fraying is not right at the cable head but starts about 1cm down and extends for about 1cm. There's clearly something rubbing the cable in the shifter assembly.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know that DA 9000 suffered from a problem with the cables, but I thought a) the problem was associated with chewing the heads off like my 7800 used to and b) this particular problem was fixed with 9001. Is my issue the same-old, same-old or something else?
This from a 9001 lever. Call to shimano says, yes they know 9001 levers do this, no the 9001 lever wasn't a fix for this, yes, they are working on it..pix and conversation relayed from Vecchio's. Same issue with 7800..didn't see it much with 7900.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1104 copy.jpg (46.0 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1109 copy.jpg (50.2 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-19-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Ugly.

Did those 11spd "ergo lever style" microshift levers ever come out?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 PM

I believe so... not at their website tho...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/07/...ad-drivetrain/

Ps: clearly the problem shimano has is the cable spooler, there is no way they can come up with a revision or something?? Never seen the cable problem with campagnolo and honestly I recycle cables like maniac.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:57 PM

DA 9001 chews RD cables too!

My 6800 levers are fine. Not sure why the big S can't get the same reliability from their top tier stuff. Seems stupid.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
My 6800 levers are fine. Not sure why the big S can't get the same reliability from their top tier stuff. Seems stupid.
well, if you look at parts breakdown, seems except for brake lever, 6800/9001 shift assemblies are the same or nearly so..same innards probably.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 PM

I believe it isn't really an outright defect, but a problem with the design that makes it easy for people who aren't careful enough to route the cable the wrong way and cause it to fray rapidly. I was with a Shimano team mechanic who showed me how the cable can be run two slightly different ways and how one doesn't even feel the same inside. The coating on 9000 cables further clogs the cables, accelerating further wear, and it only takes one strand breaking to screw up everything. I went back and looked at three of my own 9000 setups and one was wrong, two were right. The wrong one had fraying already, the other two were fine. Now, 4000 kilometers later (mostly on one that was right), I haven't had a hint of further problems. I wouldn't call this purely user error, but Shimano has become extremely particular in their instructions on how to load the cable into the lever. It's like the front derailleur -- read carefully or install at your own risk. It should be better, but hope this little bit from someone who was supposed to know will help shape your appreciation of Dura Ace.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
I believe it isn't really an outright defect, but a problem with the design that makes it easy for people who aren't careful enough to route the cable the wrong way and cause it to fray rapidly. I was with a Shimano team mechanic who showed me how the cable can be run two slightly different ways and how one doesn't even feel the same inside.
I'm curious what the subtly wrong way was. I just rechecked the dealer manual and found nothing that would suggest that it is easy to make a mistake and not notice in the stand.

Installing 6800 was pretty straight forward to me besides making sure using the right end caps.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Instructions

I have not seen the instructions that you describe.
Can you share this info or provide a link?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 AM
kg

Hmm. I'm dubious that installation error was the problem in my case. The bike was built by the resident Shimano 9000 expert at Mellow Johnny's in Austin. I bet he knows the subtleties -- not that it shod require subtlety to install a simple derailleur cable. But now that I'm in Madrid and haven't found a reliable LBS, I would like to know what how to do it right myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I don't even know where to go with this- I was all over Shimano 1st time around with the 9000 shifters. I got warranty replacements on all of those. Not sure that I want to start again with these.
Campagnolo Record
Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
I believe it isn't really an outright defect, but a problem with the design that makes it easy for people who aren't careful enough to route the cable the wrong way and cause it to fray rapidly. I was with a Shimano team mechanic who showed me how the cable can be run two slightly different ways and how one doesn't even feel the same inside. The coating on 9000 cables further clogs the cables, accelerating further wear, and it only takes one strand breaking to screw up everything. I went back and looked at three of my own 9000 setups and one was wrong, two were right. The wrong one had fraying already, the other two were fine. Now, 4000 kilometers later (mostly on one that was right), I haven't had a hint of further problems. I wouldn't call this purely user error, but Shimano has become extremely particular in their instructions on how to load the cable into the lever. It's like the front derailleur -- read carefully or install at your own risk. It should be better, but hope this little bit from someone who was supposed to know will help shape your appreciation of Dura Ace.
Which two ways?

What made them wrong?