Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 03:48 PM

Gorilla tape for tubeless?

I just had a nice set of tubeless wheels built (VO Voyageur rims) and ran a layer of black gorilla tape on the rim because I didn’t have any stans tape.

I inflated thr tire without sealant and it worked, then it was flat in the morning.

Should I just not be cheap and buy real tape or continue with this strategy, adding the fluid? I am so cheap.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:51 PM

I would say just buy actual tubeless tape. Im not sure if people still do the gorilla tape thing or if that was just because in the old days there wasn't as many options. Its not something you have to replace often once you put it on.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:54 PM

I used to use gorilla tape but eventually it fails and makes a huge mess on the rim when you need to remove it. Just move on to strapping/blue tape or the branded rim tapes.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:02 PM

Yea don’t be cheap. I tried it a few times and had similar results.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:07 PM

Worked perfectly when i did it. but hard to get the residue off later. But i only took it off to sell the wheelset. Downside is its heavy. I just use stans tape now.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:18 PM
n - 1

In the early days of tubeless, gorilla tape was my go-to. This was 14-15 years ago, I think. It was useful since the rims being converted to tubeless didn’t have the required tight tolerance, and a couple of wraps with gorilla tape got the job done. But not always. Like you experienced, it sometimes took a while to seal up. I had to use more than typical amount of sealant. It appears to soak up the sealant. But eventually it sealed up.

I would not recommend this with all the great tubeless products available today. Spend a few $ and get the right tape. Unless you enjoy spending hours scrubbing tape residue.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:39 PM
litcrazy

I use gorilla tape if the bead isn’t quite tight enough with a particular tire. This helps with the panaracer family of tires. Works really well.
I alway put the gorilla tape on top of another really thin tape in order to avoid the residue issues.
I see it as a useful tool in my box of tubeless tapes as the thickest. That’s my view of it (rather than cost savings).
Old 05-17-2024, 05:00 PM

Even with Stan tape or Brontager strip, mine would deflate the next day until I put on sealant. Once the sealant is in, they don't lose very little air.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:30 PM

I used Gorilla tape for years, but really didn't know any better. It can work great, but it can be an absolute mess as well. I had tried Stan's years ago and it was just too stiff and worked like crap (for me at least, back then). I'm now a Muc-Off convert. It works great compared to Gorilla tape. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and have converted all my wheels to it.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:10 PM

I thought the cheap-out solution was 3M 8896 or 8898?
Old 05-17-2024, 06:16 PM

I've used gorilla tape for years and have had no issue.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 PM

Another fan of Muc-Off tape here. I have a lot of tubeless bikes, and the other tapes just don't work as well.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:40 PM

I like Muc-Off and Stan's. I tried Gorilla tape when I had nothing else handy and it worked, but I needed a red shop rag and a lot of alcohol to scrub the adhesive out of the rim. One other thing I noticed was the tape splitting at the valve stem hole. Gorilla tape is designed to tear in strips.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:54 PM

Lol I've done this. Similar thing happened. It was awful to clean up though!
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 PM
n - 1

Although I recently had issues with their sealant, this tape I got from them works pretty well. It’s got a bit of stretch so it goes on tight. Less than 1/5 of cost of Muc Off/Stans.

https://www.truckerco.com/product-pa...5mm-x-50m-roll