Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM

Ultra-Distance Riders - How'd you get started?

I did a solo-century on a whim last weekend and it got me thinking about setting some goals for the summer that are of the ultra-endurance variety...

So, those of you who've made the jump to brevets and ultras, how'd you get there? Resources I should look into?

I know the snarky answer is: ride a hundred miles, then keep going.

And I have in my mind something like 200K+ as being a nominal dividing line - don't know any better, just seems about right.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 PM

Can you bike commute?

If so, the jump isn't that hard if you can get to a 40+ mile round trip commute.

When I started commuting my office was 11 miles away. Then the company moved and it was 26 and I just kept doing the rides. Putting 250+ miles in just commuting every day got me ready for any/all distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 09:49 PM

In 2001 I rode my first double century. In 2002 I rode six doubles and countless centuries. I quickly learned about Brevets and heard stories of riders pushing into hallucinations as they did 1200k in 3 days. I swore that was crazy and I'd never try such madness. In 2003 I rode my first PBP. Its been downhill so to speak ever since.

Explore and join RUSA. UMCA is also a good resource as are most local cycling clubs that run brevet series. San Francisco Randonneurs, Davis Bike Club, Seattle International Randonneurs and many others.

Good luck and have fun! You'll meet some terrific folks along the way.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM

I felt like 5hit because I spent a bunch of money on bikes and only rode once a week so I started doing more training rides and then attended a local randonneurs club. Then I completed PBP in 74:35
Old 05-24-2017, 10:43 PM

I just felt like riding further and the distance just kind of happened and I found I really enjoyed long days on the bike. Now my favorite distance is a 300k so I guess it just kind of happened but I enjoy long days on the bike and then looking at a map where I had been and thinking about all cool people I meet and places I saw that day. Look Up Oregon Randonneurs they have some fantastic rides, fantastic people, and the rides are very inexpensive and low key.
Anyway have fun
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 PM

I'm just starting out too, but just putting events on the calendar far enough out that they motivate you train is a big help. I did a very hilly 200K for my first RUSA ride last year, felt great about it, and just did my first double century last weekend. Both motivated me to ride more, with more structure to my training. I dig it.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'm still waiting for someone to be honest and post something like:

"I woke up early one Saturday with a brain fever and decided to ride 400 km in one go that very weekend."

Because that's the only way I can explain doing this sort of thing...

You guys have all my respect.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 AM

It dawns on me, that via charity rides, I'm close to that category.

i've done 111mi in a day, and several centuries all in the name of charitable fundraising.

the supported rides make it easier. only managed a metric century solo unsupported.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 AM
but not really

As far as training, just build up to it. You did 100 miles recently. This weekend, go out for 125. Map out a route in advance that you know will get you the distance you want. Then the next weekend go for 150, etc. It's similar to runners training for a marathon.

Once you are routinely riding centuries and longer, you probably won't feel the need to "build up" to a 200 mile ride, but for a 400k brevet or bigger, you should continue the build up model. You might realize your nutrition is fine but your gearing inadequate after 12 hours or your chamois is uncomfortable.

When I did a 500k (my longest in one shot), I got very sore shoulders after 400k. I've never had that discomfort on a shorter ride, but after 15 hours...
Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 AM

The longer I ride the better the food tastes and the more I get to eat.

I kinda jumped into longer rides and suffered a lot. A smarter way would have been building to the distance. I did try that at one point after the heads first approach, and found it to be boring due to limited route options and once you start doing double century training rides I think it takes a special kind of personality.

That is when I switched to road racing. It turns out ultra distance race training was the ultimate base training platform to work with for road racing. First cat five race of two or so laps in Central Park??

Regardless consistency is key and weekly building of longer rides a requirement if you want to be comfortable and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 AM
slower than you

Man, this is the place to get advice about shorts.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 AM

Regarding shorts, eventually your ass becomes iron. I started with Assos and chamois cream but eventually could do centuries in baggie shorts and tightee whitees with maybe a bottle of water on a hot day.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 AM

Just doing the brevet schedule in order helps. I finished a 600k my first year trying it just by following the progression up from 200, 300 400... Getting in unsupported training centuries by yourself definitely helps with confidence. If you ever transition to van-supported racing (which kind of seems to be on the way out) you'll have nothing to worry about. If you are interested in that kind of thing, being on a crew is a good way to get a look. I crewed for a couple FC 508 teams before taking that distance on solo.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM

My first tough ride was the 2008 Death Ride. Then in 2009 I started doing double centuries after seeing my friends Triple Crown jersey. As of right now, the fun has a limit of 206 miles (Devil Mountain Double). One year on the Mt. Tam double a few of us took a wrong turn and ended up with 211 miles at the end, my longest ride thus far.

I have a regular training ride from West San Jose to San Francisco and back. Either 100 miles to the SF Zoo and back or 120 to Chrissy Field. It's around 7000 to 8000' of climbing plus plenty of flat and wind to cover all the bases of training. Last Saturday was tough with temps all over the place. Fog by the time I got to SF and blazing upper 90's the last 3 hours of the ride.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM

After riding my first century, I asked what else cyclists do; if there was anything more than 100 miles. People said, "No, you just start training to go faster and/or start racing."

Realizing I was asking the wrong crowd, I dug around and found out about randonneuring. Showed up sheepish to my first 200k, but after completion, realized that miles ain't anything but a number. With proper training and mindset, you can ride however far you want....

The brevet distances are good training for the next and teach you important lessons about your own body and your own mind. I told myself I wouldn't attempt Crush the Commonwealth (Pittsburgh -- Philadelphia) until I did my first 'official' 600km brevet. So I did my first 600 last year, and completed my first CtC this year. First 1200k on the docket in August, shooting for PBP 2019, and a crack at Trans-Am if I ever can save up enough money to eat my way across the whole US!

But yeah, as everyone said, Randonneurs USA and UltraMarathon Cycling Association. Lots and lots of resources online; people are more than happy to share their experiences and knowledge with you.