Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
GREAT ride, thanks Mr Lefty and Ti.

Good riding with you Shovel.
+1

Here's the only pic I took at our first stop at Bolton Orchards... maybe Ti will post some others.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000937_s.jpg (94.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg P1000942_s.jpg (95.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg P1000946_s.jpg (81.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg P1000954_s.jpg (99.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 08-28-2016, 05:38 PM
ZhugeLiang

Nice!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Great ride

Leftyfreak and Ti,

It was great to meet you both and ride with you and your friends. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If any of you would like to do a western MA ride, let me know.

Here is a unedited 10 minute clip from my Fly6:

https://youtu.be/FkTAhzedpYg

A few of you were interested in the drought in western MA. Here are a couple of shots from the dam at the Quabbin. The normal water line is where the green begins.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to come out for the ride today: OldCrank, xeladragon, and especially to shovelhd who drove more than 90 minutes each way to be with us. Along with the other folks who joined us from Ti Designs' regular gang of riders, we made a group of 11 people. Because of all of you, this "Next Tour" was a great success and made the day feel like something more than just another ride.

Hopefully we can do it again in the not-too-distant future!

Here's my one photo from the first rest stop, Bolton Orchards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (54.2 KB, 144 views)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 AM
ferro verum est

Last edited by sonicCows; 02-13-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
Couldn't make it but I'd go on next one if my schedule permits it. BTW do you mind disclosing where the window house is on the page you made for the ride? Would love to check it out on a ride, unless it's a secret I can only uncover if I ride with you folks
The window house is on Cleaves Hill Rd. in Harvard--it's worth taking a look at!

Ti Designs and I will have to discuss dates, but hopefully we'll schedule another ride in late September or early October...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 AM
needs adult supervision

Once fall gets into full swing, another 'refueling' stop worth thinking about is in Stow, off of 62. I can't remember the name but it's an apple orchard that makes their own, fresh donuts. I'm terrible at remembering road names, but if you're on 62 heading from Stow toward Hudson, it's off to the left and maybe a mile or two up the hills a bit.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Once fall gets into full swing, another 'refueling' stop worth thinking about is in Stow, off of 62. I can't remember the name but it's an apple orchard that makes their own, fresh donuts. I'm terrible at remembering road names, but if you're on 62 heading from Stow toward Hudson, it's off to the left and maybe a mile or two up the hills a bit.
There are two places that could fit that description. Carver Hill is smaller and closer to Stow, whereas Honey Pot is much bigger and closer to Hudson. Either of those ring a bell?

By the way, you should join us for one of these rides--we went right past the Old North Bridge on our way to Strawberry Hill at the beginning of the ride yesterday.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfreak View Post
There are two places that could fit that description. Carver Hill is smaller and closer to Stow, whereas Honey Pot is much bigger and closer to Hudson. Either of those ring a bell?

By the way, you should join us for one of these rides--we went right past the Old North Bridge on our way to Strawberry Hill at the beginning of the ride yesterday.
Maybe Honey Pot?

Yeah, I would like to ride with ya'll, but I don't want to slow you down. It's been a strange summer of riding. Got in a good block of riding, with fitness coming around, then got bronchitis. But I'll keep an eye on the next edition of the ride and hope the date and my fitness coincide.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

Climb pal, you will be fine, join them!
The most you get some personal coaching from Ti at the back of the group. Wouldn't that be nice?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Maybe Honey Pot?

Yeah, I would like to ride with ya'll, but I don't want to slow you down. It's been a strange summer of riding. Got in a good block of riding, with fitness coming around, then got bronchitis. But I'll keep an eye on the next edition of the ride and hope the date and my fitness coincide.
Ha, by the end of the ride yesterday, I was slowing everyone down! I cramped in the last mile or so on 225 heading back to Bedford Center and limped back in on my own. Fortunately, that's the one part of the route that Ed can actually do reliably, so I just let him go.

Like you, I've had an interesting season of riding. I had the best base miles ever (you might remember that Ed and I rode to Wachusett in April) and by June was riding once a week, occasionally twice. My family and I were traveling at the end of July and the first couple weeks of August--no bike--and when we were in Germany I had a terrible allergic reaction which turned into a nasty infection that I'm now almost recovered from. Which is to say that I hadn't been on a bike for five weeks before we rode yesterday, with the exception of a two hour jaunt with Ed on Thursday. I was lucky that I only cramped so close the end of the ride!

The moral of the story? My training suggested that I was in no shape to lead this ride, but I decided to do it anyway. I'd been *really* wanting to do this, and it's all for fun after all right? Not doing the ride would have been much worse than the cramping! So, if you're interested in joining us next time, go for it! The group of people that are coming to these rides get it--we've all been the "slow one" at some point, and if we're lucky, we'll all be the "fast one" sometimes too.

Ultimately, I'm thrilled with this idea of the Next Tour and I think there's the potential for something really powerful at the core of it, but it won't grow or strengthen without a community of like-minded riders. Thanks again to everyone who rode yesterday!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 PM

Well, the weather is not going to be as summery as our previous ride, but a ride on October 30th will have its own charms!

So here's the scoop: we'll gather at the Bedford Depot (120 South Rd. with parking off Loomis St.) for a 7:00am departure on Sunday, October 30th. Ti Designs has requested that we head out towards Dunstable for this edition of the Next Tour. There's a pretty good chance that there will be a state line as part of the route, for those interested in a prize more exciting than town line bragging rights. Well, actually, there had better be two state line crossings--if not, that means I will have gotten everyone very lost. Along the way, we may find Lost Lake, many cows, a phone booth in a farm field (no joke--but I can't vouch for its functionality), a pond or two, fresh baked goods, although we might be too early to find Bliss (a bakery in Groton that has the terrible habit of not opening till 9:30am), and some general New England autumn glory.

The numbers, for those interested, will be something like 60 miles +/-, 16-17 mph average, and probably about 3K feet of climbing. There will be plenty of shelter within the group for those who don't want to pull at that speed all morning, and no one will be left behind. Fair warning: if Bliss is closed (and I expect that to be the case), our rest stop will not be till after 40+ miles on the road (unless someone gets desperate and we stop at a Dunkin' or a gas station convenience store), so I'd recommend bringing at least some fuel along with you.

Please let me and/or Ti Designs know if you'd like to join us--we'd love to ride with some more members of the Paceline community!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 AM

The weather predictions are looking pretty good at this point, though I know it's too early to put any real trust in them. But, I'd be satisfied with a start in the mid-forties, warming up into the fifties with some sunshine.

It should be a great morning!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 AM

If the weather holds out, I'm going to try and make it again. My fitness is shot to hell so you guys should have some fun.