Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
Isn't welding a fatigue fracture just delaying the inevitable? It will just fatigue crack there again.

I guess I did get a lot of miles for 8 years.
If done right, I don't see why it shouldn't be a permanent fix. That's what's great about metal. It can be fixed.

FWIW, if that's a small frame, maybe I'd be interested in fixing it for myself...
Old 09-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Git 1 o' these

Got me to the finish line on everything i started.

Moots PX/ENVE Fork w/Shimano Hydro Disc brakes. Only option to consider is more clearance in rear fork...then just go Routt to clear 40s in rear.

Blown up rear bag is a tailgater that got too much mud in the zippers for closing.(Worked fine after cleaning)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0085.jpg (61.2 KB, 325 views)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
If done right, I don't see why it shouldn't be a permanent fix. That's what's great about metal. It can be fixed.

FWIW, if that's a small frame, maybe I'd be interested in fixing it for myself...
It also makes me wonder if the seat post did not have enough insertion depth which caused a high load in that area.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Just be patient and youll find a moots in your price range. Easy to find moots framesets for around 1500.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM

My seatpost is long

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube View Post
It also makes me wonder if the seat post did not have enough insertion depth which caused a high load in that area.
I have one of the longer seatposts. The long seatpost is splinting the crack. I noticed the crack 15 min before a 205 mile ride. I rode and finished the ride. The seatpost flexed a little, but lasted 12 hr.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 PM

Did you have a rack or some thing else mounted to the seat tube, there appears to be some type of abrasions on the tube? Was this the cause of the fracture?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 AM

Seat post water bottle holder.

I had a seattube water bottle holder mounted there. I do not think that was the cause of the failure. I weigh 200 lbs. Why would a few lbs of water cause the fatigue crack?

I think the failure was caused by lots of miles and 200 lbs.

Last edited by cetuximab; 09-23-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Another vote for Moots, but also Kent Eriksen (founder of Moots) and Jim Kish. I have all three - just terrific bikes that'll last a lifetime.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:00 AM

Next bike advice: Litespeed, Lynsky, Habanero

Sorry, I'm confused. If your budget is $4500 but you are recycling most of the parts from the existing bike, why is a Moots (or other frame) out of range? Get a custom frame from builder of your choice for a lot less than that.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM

If he's going to hydraulic disc, he's going to be in for shifters and calipers at minimum. Since his Tammaso is a few years old, it may well be 10-speed, which means most of his group would have to be replaced as well to match the 11-speed shifters.

There are probably ways to fudge it to keep this and that, but it would be easy to see why he might need a bigger budget.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM

A bike is but a tool. Depends on what your own desires are. Nothing the matter with Habaneros other than it's not a designer label. I like the Hab cx version for an all rounder plus $2000-3000 is a lot of money to pay extra for a label.
Though I've owned a few labels,Merlin, Moots, Seven,Cinelli,Serotta's etc to name a few and liked them all besides when you come right down to it the placebo effect cannot be discounted.
Right now my main ride is a Soma Stanyan, I would put the ride quality and feel of it against any bike I've owned but then again that is subjective and my needs are minimalistic and simple.
I'm at that part of my life I've pretty much fulfilled all my bucket list so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
A bike is but a tool. Depends on what your own desires are. Nothing the matter with Habaneros other than it's not a designer label. I like the Hab cx version for an all rounder plus $2000-3000 is a lot of money to pay extra for a label.
Though I've owned a few labels,Merlin, Moots, Seven,Cinelli,Serotta's etc to name a few and liked them all besides when you come right down to it the placebo effect cannot be discounted.
Right now my main ride is a Soma Stanyan, I would put the ride quality and feel of it against any bike I've owned but then again that is subjective and my needs are minimalistic and simple.
I'm at that part of my life I've pretty much fulfilled all my bucket list so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
+1. Nothing wrong with a Moots or a Firefly. Aesthetically, they are top notch and I would love to own either. But I agree that there is not a world of difference when riding one decent bike vs. another. Ride quality is subjective and fit/wheels/tires/saddle make a bigger difference than the frame or how beautiful the welds are. One man's noodle is another man's cloud. When you take away the price and brand cache, I suspect our preferences would be all over the place.

That being said, I appreciate aesthetics/heritage/craftsmanship and don't mind paying for those when the $ and desire are there.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 PM

I'm a new owner of Lynskey. was thinking of going 2nd hand for "other brands" but couldn't beat the Lynskey sale prices. Give them a if ordering, couldn't have helped me more.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 AM

The budget is flexible...It is just hard to spend money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacII View Post
Sorry, I'm confused. If your budget is $4500 but you are recycling most of the parts from the existing bike, why is a Moots (or other frame) out of range? Get a custom frame from builder of your choice for a lot less than that.
After many years, my career and budget is to a point where I could buy "that bike". But is it hard to spend money.

The Moots Routt looks beautiful.

The Habanero is $2k cheaper.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 AM

Dean.

http://www.deanbikes.com/rando2.html

Tags
disc, road, titanium