Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
So I take it that you decided on your color choice? Are you going to share that with us or make us wait

I have already:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK
I finally went for a Sizzler GS with Sapphire Blue forks and front, Arancio for the little stripe behind that, and then naked titanium (brushed satin) and carbon for the remainder of the bike. Decals are largely white with black border.
It's a little complex looking on the Serotta Paint Tool, but I think it's going to be quite perfect. It has the correct mixes of each colour to match the club colours, and still exposes the sheer beauty of the materials and workmanship of the frame.

I was set on a 3/4 - 1/4 scheme right up until Cycle Fit helped convince me that the Nove was the one for me... then I changed my mind
Old 04-19-2006, 04:56 PM

I've seen so many wonderful Serottas that I thought I'd share one of the nastiest. Yes even Serotta can have a bike look nasty.

Back in the day I had the job of inspecting bikes before they got shipped out everyday. I walked up to the wall of shiny bikes one morning and one stood out.............and not in a good way. I pulled it down of it's hook and had to bring it back to the paint shop to be sure that the bike was painted correctly. It was so bad I thought there must have been a mix up with the colors. But no, it was painted exactly as the customer wished

The bike was gold metallic fade to non-metallic comp yellow. These two colors next to each other were truly sickening. The best part was that the fade area was a poop brown. Now this bike looked so bad I walked it into the office to see if it was just me or if everyone else felt the same way. You could hear the wave of groans as I walked down the length of the office. I called the customer and told him that he might want to reconsider. He said no that "those are my tow favorite colors". So be it. He got the bike and loved it.

To each his own.

Dave
Old 04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Administrator

DavidK -- I must have missed your post on this, thanks for filling in the details and best of luck on your new Serotta!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

So this is about what your Nove will look like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NovePaint.jpg (24.7 KB, 752 views)
Old 04-20-2006, 02:56 PM

bro i.m.ho the one I'm goin to have someday .cheers
Old 04-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Close, but the online tool is showing the wrong schema for 'Sizzler GS'.

Sizzler is actually this:

This picture of Warrick doing his stuff gives you the club colours:

My Nove will look more like this one attached, though I expect more beautiful when it's real:
Attached Images
File Type: png Nove.png (43.1 KB, 745 views)
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator

It should be very nice indeed!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hey DavidK -- I was just wondering if you had given any thought to having the carbon rear in the blue clear coat? The clear coated carbon is pretty subtle and it might look sharp with your color scheme. Just a thought.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 AM

I did think about it. The sample pieces of carbon tubing in Cycle Fit look great. My only concern was that it's not the simplest paint job as it is, and anything more might be too much. That, and I'd be losing the black from the club colours.

If someone comes up with a good use harlequin I'd love to see it. The sample for that is wonderful.

Oh, and the red tint is so incredibly subtle. You can tell that one would come to life in sunlight.

So I loved them, just didn't think they were quite 'me' though, and the earlier paint jobs I had fallen for in this thread all had some element of total nakedness. I wanted the same
Old 04-22-2006, 04:20 PM

Hey David!

Since the Dynamo forum's down, thought I'd crash your thread here...

It's interesting to see all the different things that people think of as "gorgeous". Choosing bike colours from infinite possibilities is true existential angst! For my tri bike, I started with the concept of colours that were "light as air and fast as lightning" and originally wanted Sizzler with white front, quicksilver rear, comp yellow stripe, white w/black outline decals. But in the end (can't remember why) I settled on Race instead with the same colours.

When I went back for the Legend ST, I wanted club colours, but didn't really feel like I "deserved" to ride them. Even though I'm planning to race on it, hey, I'm never going to win anything! But the guys I ran it past said not to be silly, of course it would be cool to ride a bike in club colours! So I went for Race, with Arancio as the main colour (it's just such a happy colour and it makes me smile - and it gives off a Merckx-Molteni vibe), true blue stripes (matches the kit better, I think - sapphire blue seemed too purple-y), accent tape in black, rear end in polished ti, decals white with black outline except matte ti on the chainstay (more durable). On the ST stay and fork, I've got the "S"s painted in true blue outlined with platinum - to tie in with the branding on the Stella Azzurra cranks (snap!) and seatpost.

I'm so excited, but I don't even have an estimated delivery date yet! Plenty of time to think about wheels, then...

I've seen some Argon18 bikes with red tinted carbon - the way it changes as it captures the light from different angles is mesmerisingly beautiful! I was tempted to blue tint the fork and ST stay on the Legend, but thought I'd leave myself somewhere new to go design-wise with a carbon-based bike next year!

My word! Aren't we going to smarten up the Surrey Hills ride when they finally arrive!

- K
Old 04-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbers
Since the Dynamo forum's down, thought I'd crash your thread here...
Hehe, I got so bored not being able to cycle this weekend, and with the forum down, that I've taken to uninstalling Windows and installing Linux for kicks.

Today was so lovely I'm itching to get back in the saddle. I may disregard doc advice tomorrow and do a few laps of Richmond Park for the hell of it.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Bringing this thread back to life for Bostondrunk.......see page 2
Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 PM
cmg

google "serotta" then hit images and enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1214b4e3eadb02fb42d51360f882195c.jpg (71.7 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 2j4pqvm.jpg (42.0 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by cmg; 03-30-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
google "serotta" then hit images and enjoy.
I love that green so much. It always reminded me of Schwinn Stingray green. I had a friend with a Colorado Ti that color.

I almost painted a recently purchased bike that color and failed to do so.

Some day.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM

this one