Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Problems with Contour camera

I have a Contour Roam2 camera that I've rarely used over the few years I've owned it. I decided to start recording my commutes because of numerous close calls. The lights and beeps seem to indicate that it's working, but I can't get it to be recognized by a computer.

I've tried changing and reformatting the memory card, changing cables and plugging it into different computers. When I plug it in it beeps and starts charging, but it is not seen by the computer either in Contour's Storyteller program or as an external device in File Explorer.

Has anyone here owned one of these and encountered anything similar? Contour's product "support" has been useless and there's not an option to call and talk to a person.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM

Does it record and have videos in the memory card when you plug the card into the computer? I have the knock off version of it and it uses microSD card. It still works fine for me but I never connect it to the computer.

I also don't see the need to use any programs to process the videos. Between Handbrake and Windows Moviemaker I have the tools I need to convert, trim, etc.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 PM

What kind of computer (OS etc).

Have you pulled the microSD memory card out and just used that (in an SD adapter most likely).
Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Yes, if I plug the card directly into the computer it can read the files on it. The problem is that I can't change any of the camera settings unless it is plugged into, and recognized by, a computer. I also don't carry an adapter for a microSD with me all the time. I've tried on both a couple of PCs and a Mac.

What's really frustrating is Countour's complete lack of support. There is no phone number and, although I've emailed them multiple times, I only got one reply and the information they provided was useless.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:50 PM

Have two contours - Roam2 and Contour+2 - both sync/charge with no issues on last 3 versions of OS X. Have not tried to connect to a Windows system for a very long time.

Couple of basic troubleshooting steps would be to examine/reinstall USB drivers and/or delete and reinstall StoryTeller. If you know someone with a Mac, might try connecting to that first as a quick check before messing with Windows.

Contour basically out of business. Acquired by ION after Contour's doors were shuttered overnight without notice a couple of years ago. Neither company is fairing well against the 800lbs gorilla (GoPro). Basically ION appears to be drawing down whatever inventory was left at the time of acquisition. The supply of available accessories, batteries, etc, is more and more "out of stock". Mine have been great cameras, but probably not worth investing anything in them if they need repair ... dead money. GoPro Session line basically obsoletes most of what made Contour a leader early on - compact, waterproof without case, one-touch recording, etc. GPS is about all that is missing.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Contour basically out of business. Acquired by ION after Contour's doors were shuttered overnight without notice a couple of years ago. Neither company is fairing well against the 800lbs gorilla (GoPro). Basically ION appears to be drawing down whatever inventory was left at the time of acquisition. The supply of available accessories, batteries, etc, is more and more "out of stock". Mine have been great cameras, but probably not worth investing anything in them if they need repair ... dead money. GoPro Session line basically obsoletes most of what made Contour a leader early on - compact, waterproof without case, one-touch recording, etc. GPS is about all that is missing.
Yeah, I had heard they were pretty much dead, but I was hoping I might get lucky with someone helpful.

I've tried different cables, memory cards, and computers (both Mac and PC). I'm pretty sure the problem is with the connection point inside the camera. My only option is to just use it without ever being able to change settings on the camera and always having to eject the SD card and use an adaptor to download files. I thought about opening it up and seeing if I could find the bad connection point to repair, but it's really well sealed (duh, waterproof!). I don't think I can do it without damaging the casing.

I suppose I'll go through some of the many old threads on this site and see if there's a consensus for a low cost alternative.