Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM

With such a complex paint blend, the chance of the repair shop paint matching to your satisfaction is very low. You might request that they leave it un-painted so that you can inspect the repair and then paint it yourself....which you would have to do anyway if it doesn't match well.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
With such a complex paint blend, the chance of the repair shop paint matching to your satisfaction is very low. You might request that they leave it un-painted so that you can inspect the repair and then paint it yourself....which you would have to do anyway if it doesn't match well.
Depends on the frame repair place. The two I see the most of are nothing short of wizards at painting.

Joey at the Frame Doctor is absolutely incredible at paint, and the guys at cyclocarbon seem to do some crazy things,too.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Update:

The shop was very cool about it. (...)
Rad bike. Glad to hear they took good care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
(...) You might request that they leave it un-painted so that you can inspect the repair and then paint it yourself (...)
I don't know if being able to inspect the repair is all that helpful. How many times have people on this forum said you can't really judge carbon fiber integrity by just looking at it? The repair will have some kind of warranty, perhaps for the life of the frame. So I say let them paint it. They might do a great job and then the OP won't need to bother. He always has the option to paint it himself if he feels he needs to.

Last edited by dgauthier; 05-26-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Wayne77 you are over your PM storage limit. please let me know when you clear your Inbox.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Glad your shop stepped up, because that's how it should work. Wrenches make mistakes. I did, never like yours, but it happened. The few shops I've worked in sold highest end machines, and so we covered problems as best we could.

Nice looking bike!