Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely conscious of the bb height when pedalling. I'd ordered the 45mm pari motos but shop brought in the 38s by accident and I didn't want to wait. What I'm thinking I will do now is buy one of the 45s and put it on the front. Will slacken the head angle a bit for steep gravel/dirt etc which will be nice plus raise the bb somewhat.
Are you sure you don't mean 42-584? I'm unaware of a 45mm version.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Hmm seems you're right. I thought there was a 1.75 inch version (45ishmm). Maybe I should put a fatter compass tire on the front instead. Apparently a 584 47mm front should squeeze in. Eyeballing it that seems about right.

On a semi related note - I blew the rear pari Moto off the rim setting up tubeless at 60 psi (apparently a very stupid tubeless rookie mistake going that high) it's riding fine now at 40psi tubeless - for safety would you guys put a tube in now given its blown off once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hmm seems you're right. I thought there was a 1.75 inch version (45ishmm). Maybe I should put a fatter compass tire on the front instead. Apparently a 584 47mm front should squeeze in. Eyeballing it that seems about right.

On a semi related note - I blew the rear pari Moto off the rim setting up tubeless at 60 psi (apparently a very stupid tubeless rookie mistake going that high) it's riding fine now at 40psi tubeless - for safety would you guys put a tube in now given its blown off once?

The 42-584 Pacentis are labeled 1.75" and the 38mm labeled 1.5"; pretty silly. Even though they are not tubeless ready I mounted them that way. Same story here. It was my first tubeless install and I left them overnight at 50psi with Orange Seal. Early the next morning I heard the asplosion of the front and walked to the basement to see a few ounces of Orange Seal over everything.

I ran them at 40/35 psi and the tubeless setup was fine for the few hundred miles I rode them (moved the wheelset along). My 1.75" tires measured exactly that on Blunt SS (26.6 internal). With those Crests I would imagine you'll get 42-43mm for sure. I wouldn't risk the Compass SBH. FWIW, they measured 51.5mm on the same Blunt SS rims (with tubes). The Pari Moto is about the lightest and most fragile (thin tread) 650b fatty you can buy. My 42-584s weighed 325g and 326g.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-28-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 AM

That's awesome insight Lloyd, thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely conscious of the bb height when pedalling. I'd ordered the 45mm pari motos but shop brought in the 38s by accident and I didn't want to wait. What I'm thinking I will do now is buy one of the 45s and put it on the front. Will slacken the head angle a bit for steep gravel/dirt etc which will be nice plus raise the bb somewhat.

What's the six-month follow-up assessment here, geordanh? One of these could save me a buncha money over Gunnar Hyper-XX...
Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 AM

It's a sweet bike. It's a blast on the dirt with 650b wheels, and rides great on the road obviously with it's pretty standard geo. super flexible bike. Just a bit on the heavier side with the Alu steerer fork. That's the only downside in my opinion. Selling mine now cause I just bought a stigmata cause I'm too much of a weenie.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Dig the bike. I could roll one of these for sure.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM

I could be in the market for a Fog Cutter!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It's a sweet bike. It's a blast on the dirt with 650b wheels, and rides great on the road obviously with it's pretty standard geo. super flexible bike. Just a bit on the heavier side with the Alu steerer fork. That's the only downside in my opinion. Selling mine now cause I just bought a stigmata cause I'm too much of a weenie.

What does the bike weigh? I've got a Bruce Gordon BLT that I'm using as a gravel bike and it weighs 28 lbs. I want some lighter.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 AM

Mine came in at around 23lbs with pedals and stuff. Could go lighter with finishing kit and maybe shave a bit on saddle and wheels and drop the power meter.

Bumped my classifieds post if any of you want a 58cm. I haven't gotten to taking proper pics yet. Still riding it. Will strip it down and get some proper frame detail shots up.