Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2024, 06:03 PM

I had a Soma Grand Randonneur for a while. Taiwanese Tange Prestige rode very well and would suit those who believe the theory of planing. Discontinued for years but occasionally surface in the used market. I sold mine because it was a shade too small and pedestrian by comparison to what I’m used to.

I’ve been looking for a 650b Jeff Lyon L’Avecaise since reading Bicycle Quarterly’s review a few years ago, but I have yet to see one in any size for resale anywhere…
Old 02-23-2024, 06:10 PM

https://bikerecyclery.com/road-forks/ You could build it around the Lyon 700c fork that is still for sale.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:52 PM

Budget be damned get one of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 6.51.18 PM.jpg (82.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Budget be damned get one of these...
I inquired with Brian about getting one a few months ago, and it didn’t seem like one could even get on a waitlist too easily. Perhaps Brian was somewhat selective? Which I get — some customers can be more trouble to deal with than they’re worth, and I’m sure he’s got enough repeat business or referrals. Perhaps also this has changed more recently?

If you’re going to splurge, I’d recommend Ebisu from Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha. It’s not as inexpensive as it used to be, but IME they are done right down to the tiniest details. I’ve two - they’re just great. My next bike is going to be quite different, I think, so I’m gonna go with a different builder.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:35 PM

For converting an older bike, check out this recent thread on the 650B list:

https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/SJpTauWet4s
Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
I’m looking to fit the stereotype.
I’m starting to think 700c might be the way to go.. I definitely have those parts on hand. Just wonder about max tire w/ fender.
If you go with a 700c road frame and you find that you can't fit tires as wide as you want, it's a really easy conversion to 650b - easy enough that you could conceivably even switch back and forth from time to time if you feel like it. You need a 650b wheel set and some long reach brakes. These work really well: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...g-reach-brakes
Old 02-23-2024, 09:10 PM

custom 650b

https://galluscycles.com/bio.html

Jeremy Schlacter, Gallus bikes, check it out. DM
Old 02-23-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphey View Post
https://galluscycles.com/bio.html

Jeremy Schlacter, Gallus bikes, check it out. DM
Oh cool. Extra points for the biplane fork and being a fellow ex messenger.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:02 PM

Are you lookin for a rando to ride brevets?

Id look for a Box Dog Pelican if you can find one used.
If youre not riding brevets than I think any decent all road frame with rack mounts will do.

Also whats youre price range?
Old 02-24-2024, 09:32 AM

You might want to hop over to Bike Forums to see what folks are doing with older frames refitted for 650B. And hook up with Gugie, who does a bunch of 700c to 650b conversions. If nothing else, he can give you some good advice on what to look for in a conversion candidate.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:33 AM

Honestly, you should also just stick around here long enough to qualify for the classifieds and then ask here. You'd want to know your size, which you haven't mentioned yet, but if you have a good idea of your fit there are all sorts of options out there.

If you happen to be tall, I've got a Rawland Stag that I might let go of...
Old 02-24-2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Honestly, you should also just stick around here long enough to qualify for the classifieds and then ask here. You'd want to know your size, which you haven't mentioned yet, but if you have a good idea of your fit there are all sorts of options out there.

If you happen to be tall, I've got a Rawland Stag that I might let go of...
That would definitely be useful.

56-57 tt 16ht
Old 02-24-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
https://bikerecyclery.com/road-forks/ You could build it around the Lyon 700c fork that is still for sale.
If I got anything out of starting this thread it is learning of bikerecyclery. That is a cool site. Mostly a museum tho!
Old 02-24-2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
Are you looking for something to ride brevets on? Or are you looking for something that generally fits the internet's overall concept of what "randonneur bike" means? Because the range of bikes that people happily and comfortably use for randonneuring is much broader than the internet's image of what constitutes a "randonneur rig".

There's nothing wrong with the stereotypical randonneuring bike, but it's only one choice among many of what people ride for actual randonneuring. Lots of people ride plain ol' stock road bikes, gravel bikes, cross bikes, etc, perfectly happily. And lots of people ride custom bikes, and vintage bikes, and 650b conversion bikes, old bikes, new bikes, and so on.
Agreed! Good advice for the OP here.

Around 10 to 12 years ago I rode brevets on an 80’s Bianchi road bike I converted to rando mode with 650B wheels, fenders, and a big Carradice saddle bag. That Bianchi was my only bike as the time! Since then I’ve put together more bikes and done all sorts of riding including traditional road riding and races, gravel rides and races, CX races. When I finally go back for another brevet, I’ll either ride my Allez Sprint or my single speed steel CX bike, that will be a tough choice!
Old 02-25-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
If I got anything out of starting this thread it is learning of bikerecyclery. That is a cool site. Mostly a museum tho!
Owner is a PLer, you'll see her bikes up here from time to time.