Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 10:13 PM

Looking for Suggestions for a Light 24mm Axle Crank

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for a lightweight crank with a 24 mm axle for a project I’m working on.

I’m going to fit a Gates belt drive “chainring” on it so it needs to fit either a 130 BCD 5-arm spider or a 104 BCD 4-arm spider.

I see lots of 30 mm axle cranks out there but I need to stick with a 24 mm in order to be able to use a Philcentric bottom bracket.

So far, I found Middleburn and the Rotor.

At 153 mm, the q-factor on the Middleburn is wider than I would like.

In terms of the Rotor ALDHU, I’m not sure what type of spiders fit on there, and whether I can find a 130 BCD.

Any help or suggestions about cranks I might’ve missed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greyfox
Old 03-02-2024, 10:22 PM

I can’t find a weight on them and they’re not the most beautiful cranks in the world but Shimano Alfine FC-S501 cranks fit your requirements.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:37 PM

As far as Rotor Adhu cranks: There are multiple spiders available, including 110mm 5 arm, but there doesn't appear to be a 130mm 5 arm spider.

As far as other lightweight 24mm spindle cranks, one of the lightest out there is the SRAM Red 22 GXP crankset, which is available in both 130mm 5 arm and 110mm 5 arm. The SRAM GXP spindle is actually 24mm/22mm, but there appears to be a Philcentric BB for SRAM GXP. Also note that the Red 22 cranks has a hidden-fifth-arm design, so that may affect how the toothed pulley bolts onto the crank.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:41 AM

How light is lightweight? There are lots of older shimano options out there that are not terribly heavy.

And if you can make Sram work and can live with a GXP BB, those are reasonably light too.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the replies and help.

Mark speaks highly of the Rotor Aldu so I was looking for one but, like Mark, I’ve been unable to find 130 BCD spider for it.

The suggestion about a Shimano Alfine FC-S501 and some older Shimano cranks made me remember the Dura Ace 7900 crank. It is perfect for my needs - 130 BCD with Shimano Hollowtech - which I prefer to GPX. So thank you for that.

Now the search for a 7900 crank in very good condition and in 170 begins.

I’ll post a wanted ad in the classifieds but if anyone reading this has one, please get in touch.

Thanks again.

Greyfox