Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Very nice, Dave! And looks fun.
I like the elements in the shot such as:
* Air gap under tire
* Snow-capped mountain peaks in background
* Montana Agriculture / Irrigation in background
* Solid grip on the wheel
But your plates could be JKS 11 (eleven). No?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Thanks - I'm by no means living high on the hog but I smile a good bit.

dave
Wait, isn't that what the good life IS? Skiing with my 9 year old son or watching my 13 year old daughter play in her concert band makes me smile way more than looking at my 401(k) balance!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM

I love seeing your shop space! It shows that your attention to detail starts long before the tubes are cut.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM

And we're back to bikes. This JKS is headed to Germany today.

dave

Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM

I am totally NOT a car guy, and this question may show it: why don't you wear protective gear when driving a car that is open? Probably for the same reason people love to ride without a helmet (to feel the air flowing in your face) but jeez, that looks dangerous! I am such a nerd.

Anyways, yes, back to bikes. I don't know if I can recall a Kirk that didn't look 'right'. Theyre amazing bikes.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I am totally NOT a car guy, and this question may show it: why don't you wear protective gear when driving a car that is open? Probably for the same reason people love to ride without a helmet (to feel the air flowing in your face) but jeez, that looks dangerous! I am such a nerd.

Anyways, yes, back to bikes. I don't know if I can recall a Kirk that didn't look 'right'. Theyre amazing bikes.
Good question -

Yes you are very exposed in this type of car. The key thing here is that you are the only driver on the course when you run and there is nothing to hit. So the main thing to fear is bugs or small gravel or sand being thrown up by the super sticky front tires. I of course wear a helmet and ballistic grade (2.4 mm thick shatterproof lexan) glasses just in case a piece of gravel gets thrown up.

Once you move from this type of racing (officially known as "Solo") and start going wheel to wheel with other drivers the safety requirements justifiably get MUCH more stringent. My car would need a full roll cage (and not just the bar is has now), a fire suppression system, and I would need to wear a full race suit and a full face helmet.

Injuries in "Solo" are extremely rare even in cars like mine. I was constantly getting injured when I raced BMX, road and mountain bikes and the only injury I've had in solo is to my ego.

dave
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
So - it finally broke 70° yesterday so I put down the stuff to make things and picked up the stuff to clean things. It feels good to have the place clean again - now it's time to get it dirty again I guess.

Every Kirk ever built has come out of this same room and with any luck that will be the case until I retire.

dave

Every time I see pictures of your shop it always seems very minimalist in the way of tooling and equipment (despite the couple large tool boxes). I visited another builder's shop where he had 12+ lathes/mills setup for different specific functions + tables, welder's, and gas bottles in different areas. I don't think his output as a one man shop would be much different from yours, but just different way of doing things I guess. I like the minimalist approach... maybe I should try to get my kid's-dumping-ground/garage/shop that clean some day.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 PM

A red, white and blue JKS just a bit early for the 4th of July.

dave

Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Lovely work Dave.