Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
What I got from Michael Horn's testimony.

My 2014 is going to require an Adblue retrofit.
This retrofit is going to take a while, maybe more than a year.
It is going to negatively affect performance and fuel mileage.
My operating costs are going to go up.

That said I have two choices. With 2K miles left before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out, now is the time to work with VWoA and my dealer to talk about a realistic, above water trade for a GSW SE. I am going to start that process tomorrow. My other choice is to stick to my original plan of owning it for 8-10 years, getting the refit done and hoping that VW extends the emissions warranty past 200K miles, because that's what it is going to take. Tunes and deletes are not on my radar screen as long as I live in a CARB state.
Yes, the urea will have to be retrofitted. I don't think either of your choices are bad. In fact they are both good. You don't buy a car for an investment, unless you're not too wise, so my advice is to get up tomorrow morning and make the decision before you eat breakfast.

Thinking more about it, what price tag does one put on happiness? Its not worth fretting over. Given the incentives currently offered by VW, you could very well get a nice deal on a new car. Used cars all depreciate so the trade in value should not be of concern. They all depreciate. Say the current trade in value is 9 or 10% less due to this crises, BFD. Like I say, what is happiness worth? In addition, the VW dealer will keep the TDI until the retrofit comes out, then get paid by VW for his installation (so he will make some money off it) - then sell it as an updated TDI with an extended warranty at a good price to a buyer. Everyone is different but I wouldn't waste my time agonizing and waiting for a ship to come in that will likely never make it.

Verdict: Visit your VW dealer tomorrow, and drive a new one home - with a smile. I'd rather have a gas one anyway. Let others do the agonizing, spit'n and bitch'in, and waiting for a ship (monetary settlement from VW or a hip lawyer) that will likely never come in. You come out ahead, and VW comes out ahead because they have maintained you as a customer. In fact this protocol (trading yours in) is probably the desired protocol in their eyes.

Last edited by rnhood; 10-08-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM

I don't have time to visit the dealer, they are 45 minutes away. I want to start with VWoA. They have the leverage to work with the dealer. I can get $5K+ off MSRP right now with loyalty cash. What I am concerned about is the $5K+ of trade in value that I have currently lost in the last month because of their deceit. I don't want revenge. I don't want a buyback. I even want to replace it with a new VW. I just want to be made whole. I specifically ordered one of the last JSW's off the line (which shut down a month later) to avoid Adblue. I think I have a compelling case.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 PM

That $5k of lost trade in value figure sounds a bit hypothetical to me, or speculation so to speak. But it could be close if your vehicle is close to new. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Last edited by rnhood; 10-09-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Now we know why the smaller TDI cars were not offered in an AWD variant..
Isn't TDI A3 AWD?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I don't have time to visit the dealer, they are 45 minutes away. I want to start with VWoA. They have the leverage to work with the dealer. I can get $5K+ off MSRP right now with loyalty cash. What I am concerned about is the $5K+ of trade in value that I have currently lost in the last month because of their deceit. I don't want revenge. I don't want a buyback. I even want to replace it with a new VW. I just want to be made whole. I specifically ordered one of the last JSW's off the line (which shut down a month later) to avoid Adblue. I think I have a compelling case.
Let's us know. I doubt VWofA or any dealer is going to do anything this early.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd be pretty shocked if it did but I'd take a new GSW/gas for my TDI and I really like my TDI.
Yea, so they're going to make an extra 500k of them to take care of TDI owners?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Isn't TDI A3 AWD?
Afaik, the quattro was being introduced with the 2016 models.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/24/h...iesel-scandal/

Yes, the top three+ are no longer with us.

OldPotatoe, wrongful death from Pradaxa is worth up to 5-10million/incident. Apples to oranges in regard to damages for each consumer, but payout they shall nonetheless.
Good to know - thanks

Wait, so he's still employed?

Last edited by bcroslin; 10-08-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: I'm confused, does Horn still work for VW?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 PM

WASHINGTON Federal and California regulators have begun an investigation into a second computer program in Volkswagenç—´ diesel cars that also affects the operation of the cars emission controls.

Volkswagen said that it had withdrawn 2016 models of its diesel cars from environmental certification in the United States because the company should have disclosed the software and sought regulators approval before installing it, but had not done so.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/09...l-hearing.html
Old 10-08-2015, 07:52 PM

The VW Diesel Scandal Is Now a DIY Halloween Costume
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Not a peep yet about the thread reaching 50 pages?!? Isn't that some kind of anniversary?

I, for one, intend to drink a nice glass of single malt to celebrate. (Pretend those are crystal glasses . . . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Not that it really matters all that much, but you could have celebrated quite some time ago. Comparing this forum's page count to another forum's ignores the number of posts displayed per page, which will vary from forum to forum.

And . . . it also varies from user to user within a single forum. I have my option here on the Paceline set to display 40 posts per page (the maximum), so this thread only shows up on my screen as just now hitting its 20th page. But at 790 posts, if I changed to displaying only 5 posts per page (the minimum), we would be at 158 pages, and you could have celebrated several times over!

(Which is why references to "see page X" frustrate me! Tell me the post number you are referencing.)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:37 PM

If a VW diesel owner wants to accept the $2,000 credit toward a new VW will a VW dealer take the old car in trade since VW of NA has prohibited them from selling them as used cars?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If a VW diesel owner wants to accept the $2,000 credit toward a new VW will a VW dealer take the old car in trade since VW of NA has prohibited them from selling them as used cars?
They have only prohibited them from selling CPO, not used.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
That $5k figure sounds a bit hypothetical to me, or speculation so to speak. Anyway, good luck with your decision.
$5k is pretty accurate. They are offering me about $3.5k off of the pre-crisis deal for a gas Golfwagen right now, without loyalty cash.

I'm still hesitant.....
Old 10-09-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
(. . .) if I changed to displaying only 5 posts per page (the minimum), we would be at 158 pages, and you could have celebrated several times over! (. . .)
Your logic is irrefutable. Three single malts it is!

Tags
autoscam, boring threads