Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Salsa Warbird

Excited to log some miles on the new steed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salsa.jpg (82.8 KB, 931 views)
Old 01-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Old 01-29-2016, 05:32 PM

^ Sweet! How do you like it? I'm will assume you love it. I think it's one of the best gravel bikes made.

I wanted a carbon Warbird in black from about May thru October. I thought I had one on order but my LBS was clueless. And waiting for Salsa was a true test of patience. Every time I called I got a different excuse as to the cause of the delay. Anyway, I missed out on the 1st shipment and they don't have a clue when the 2nd one is due to arrive. So bought a Ridley and couldn't be happier - great geometry and spec. Just doesn't look quite as good

Would love a ride report.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
^ Sweet! How do you like it? I'm will assume you love it. I think it's one of the best gravel bikes made.

I wanted a carbon Warbird in black from about May thru October. I thought I had one on order but my LBS was clueless. And waiting for Salsa was a true test of patience. Every time I called I got a different excuse as to the cause of the delay. Anyway, I missed out on the 1st shipment and they don't have a clue when the 2nd one is due to arrive. So bought a Ridley and couldn't be happier - great geometry and spec. Just doesn't look quite as good

Would love a ride report.
I was definitely interested in the Ridley as well. I've only been on the Salsa twice and each time the temp was well below zero so my rides have been pretty short. I hope to get out for a bit longer this weekend.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 AM

When I thought I had ordered a Warbird the Ridley didn't even exist. Then it got announced in about July but w/o and geometry specs. And by October when the Warbird fell through the geo was out and looked very good. And I got a very good deal at Peformance. It was so new they didn't even have all the component specs correct. But they upgraded the ones that were incorrect. It's taken me a couple of months to get used to it and dial it in but I love it. I'm heading out this morning in fact for, hopefully, about 50 mi, all dirt.

The only issue I've had was that it was promoted as having room for 40c tires. I've got a set of WTB Nanos and it fits in front fine but is so tight in the back that I didn't want to ride it. So, if needed, I'll probably run the 40 in front and something a little smaller in back. Right now I have a set of Schwalbe S-One in 30c installed and they are impressive. I may not need much bigger but, if so, the G-One will be next to try.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
When I thought I had ordered a Warbird the Ridley didn't even exist. Then it got announced in about July but w/o and geometry specs. And by October when the Warbird fell through the geo was out and looked very good. And I got a very good deal at Peformance. It was so new they didn't even have all the component specs correct. But they upgraded the ones that were incorrect. It's taken me a couple of months to get used to it and dial it in but I love it. I'm heading out this morning in fact for, hopefully, about 50 mi, all dirt.

The only issue I've had was that it was promoted as having room for 40c tires. I've got a set of WTB Nanos and it fits in front fine but is so tight in the back that I didn't want to ride it. So, if needed, I'll probably run the 40 in front and something a little smaller in back. Right now I have a set of Schwalbe S-One in 30c installed and they are impressive. I may not need much bigger but, if so, the G-One will be next to try.
My first impression of the Warbird was great. It will take me a little time to get used to the swept out bars but overall I am impressed. The stock Schwalbe Sammy Slicks lead me to believe that there will be plenty of room for larger tires if needed. I have run a larger front tire and smaller rear on MTBs before.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 PM
n - 1

Got some Clement MSO 40's mounted up. Will be heading out this weekend on the frozen trails to test them out. Figure they won't do that great, but impatience is getting the best of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (119.1 KB, 690 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 AM

Here is my gravel/go anywhere bike. Tons of fun on and off pavement.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post

Nailed.It.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 AM

Maiden Voyage

First ride today, still getting it all dialed in, but had a ton of fun! Can't wait to get some fatter, knobbier tires on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT Grade Shakedown_01.jpg (99.8 KB, 498 views)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Great looking bike--care to share more about the build geo, etc (I'm looking at getting something similar that is on/off road capable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post

Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Very nice. What is it? I can't make out the decals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c77barlage View Post
Excited to log some miles on the new steed.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Very nice. What is it? I can't make out the decals.
Salsa Warbird
Old 02-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Lousy phone pic of my Elephant NFE on its maiden voyage. Currently rolling on 700x35's, but I also have a 650b wheelset in the works. Build is a mix of Force 22 for shifters and derailleurs, SRAM S900 cranks, and Shimano CX75 hubs and brakes.

Looking forward to lots on on- and off-road adventures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01753.jpg (83.1 KB, 398 views)
Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 PM

yes! ^