Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I just had a recall this summer that involved a reflash of the brain. Wonder if that's related. I did the reflash at a dealer for free and didn't notice any difference. I keep track of my mileage and no difference there either.
Me too, and it was listed as a recall on my notification in the mail. I can't even find that "recall" listed anywhere online.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I just had a recall this summer that involved a reflash of the brain. Wonder if that's related. I did the reflash at a dealer for free and didn't notice any difference. I keep track of my mileage and no difference there either.
Same thing here. We had an issue with the software download and they insisted we reschedule to have the software updated.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:56 PM
ergottWheels

There's a forum I check in with for VW JSW stuff.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...tta-SportWagen
Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM

I'll just leave this right here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34257424
Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
Me too, and it was listed as a recall on my notification in the mail. I can't even find that "recall" listed anywhere online.
All recalls are listed on the NHTSA website. Most of them are listed long before we even have a solution for them.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:45 PM
not banished

Allow me to give the response for the 11 people on the stage during the debate this week.

"China pollutes more than the US."
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
Wait and see. Wait and see.

I teach diesel emissions and engine management systems for a major OEM. There is alot of technology there and its hard for the competition to figure out. This could all be an attempt by the competition to slow VW down. Euro6 emissions is tough too and they have no problem over there.

My theory is based on my information of what Navistar was accusing the competition of doing. The reality was the accuser was the one involved in the wrong doing. They (Navistar) just couldnt figure out the technology. In the end they ended up buying their exhaust aftertreatment systems from their competition (Cummins). Wait and see.
I remember this, the voice of reason.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Same thing here. We had an issue with the software download and they insisted we reschedule to have the software updated.
Popular opinion is that the recall that some owners received starting back in April is related. Makes one wonder if VW was trying to get ahead of the issue before being "forced" by the government to fix the issue.

From what I've read, most people don't notice a difference in performance or fuel economy post software update. For those who've had their ECU tuned, this is another matter since it is believed that the ECU flash with new software will erase the tune and potentially make it difficult to re-tune.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 PM

If someone is looking to sell one of these horrible polluting machines, let me know...!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 PM

i have lost faith in all of our institutions / corporations

if you can't trust VW, who can you trust? Just in case you are Sheldon Cooper, this is sarcasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CtZX9gmZ8

Last edited by eddief; 09-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Epic=No Smiles

The federal government should reject the type certification of all the affected cars as it was attained by fraud, collect them, crush them, and let the owners settle with VW via the court system. Or use the threat of it to levy the appropriate fines of VW.

They won't do that, but intentional fraud to beat a regulation should mean billions in fines.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 PM

I own a 2013 TDi and it will be interesting to learn more about what the trickery does. I suspect it doesn't have a large effect on everyday driving but that the ECU was optimized for the rolling road test done in the EU to give it a better emissions rating which the euros think about when they shop for a car....unlike most of the USA.

But we will see.

I've put about 30,000 miles on mine now and it's averaged over 42 mpg for that time in all type of driving and never once have I seen any soot come out the tail pipe. Come to think of it the inside of the tail pipe is not even black.

All that said VW effed up in a big way on this one and they should pay a hefty price for this stupid decision.

dave
Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 PM

So since VW can tweak the ECU software I wonder if I can get them to flash my ECU so I can roll coal on those jerk cyclists.

Oops, wrong forum.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I own a 2013 TDi and it will be interesting to learn more about what the trickery does. I suspect it doesn't have a large effect on everyday driving but that the ECU was optimized for the rolling road test done in the EU to give it a better emissions rating which the euros think about when they shop for a car....unlike most of the USA.

dave
Reading the NOV, it sounds like they basically shut off the lean NOx selective catalyzer. Since that has a finite lifespan based on the amount of NOx catalyzed, turning it off would mean a longer service life for the (very expensive) part. Turning it on full time shouldn't have a performance impact, but it might mean replacing that catalyzer every 30,000 miles hereafter. Since the catalyzer has to operate at a specific temperature, I'm guessing it was pretty easy - only send power to the part when the CARB/EPA cycle is being run - wheel speed indicating dyno/rolling road, specific rpm ranges etc. I guess the government needs to keep those testing protocols even more secret.

It's pretty damn sneaky and not something that got done by accident, that's for sure. And pretty amazing that they didn't admit it until the EPA said, "F*ck you then, we won't type certify your 2016 cars until you explain the variance between the test protocol results and real world results."

Good work government and WVU scientists!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM

If this was pro cycling it's like VW got caught with electric motors in their bikes. There's no way around the deliberate attempt to get away with breaking the rules. It's not like a manufacturing tolerance was a bit off.

Having said that...

We are a two TDI household (2010, 2011). Also, as of a couple months ago, I'm technically an employee of a dealership family that has a VW dealership, and I park with their employees because we share lots.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads