Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Park Tools for Campy Power Tq Crank

Am I reading this right? Does Park Tool CBP-3 include everything you need to pull the crank off? Then for replacing the drive side bearing you need CBP- 5?

Would assume I wouldn't need to get to bearing for a year or so, and just wonder if the CBP-3 kit that includes the puller is all you need for a while?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Am I reading this right? Does Park Tool CBP-3 include everything you need to pull the crank off? Then for replacing the drive side bearing you need CBP- 5?

Would assume I wouldn't need to get to bearing for a year or so, and just wonder if the CBP-3 kit that includes the puller is all you need for a while?
Yep, have this and it works fine. I use the Cyclus tools to pull the bearing off and on.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yep, have this and it works fine. I use the Cyclus tools to pull the bearing off and on.
Peter, what do you use as a spacer? Looks like both the Cyclus crank puller and the Park CPB-5 tool include an aluminum plug/rod to place in the crank opening to space it out and allow the puller to work. And then there's the issue of the nylon/plastic pad for alloy cranks (which have a different backside contour than the carbon cranks).

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...-cranks_280400

Looks like you could get by with a piece of aluminum billet or maybe a spare crank bolt, but not sure how you'd reproduce that Park pad for alloy cranks…

FWIW, while looking thru stuff about this issue, I found this post from a bike mech in the UK:

The best power-torque tools are made by cyclus. They are very expensive though but the quality of the tools means that no damage will ever come to your carnak arms or bearings.

You don't buy campag cranks for user serviceability. you buy them because they;
1) look fab
2) have low Q factors,
3) best chainring known to man
4) lighter than the competetors - my veloce cranks +BB are lighter ultegra +BB
5) it's got campagnolo on it

So with the money you would save buy buying veloce cranks over ultergra say you can buy all the proper tools to serivce them rather than trying to the cheapest and probably a poorer tool.

Last edited by thwart; 11-21-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Peter, what do you use as a spacer? Looks like both the Cyclus crank puller and the Park CPB-5 tool include an aluminum plug/rod to place in the crank opening to space it out and allow the puller to work. And then there's the issue of the nylon/plastic pad for alloy cranks (which have a different backside contour than the carbon cranks).

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...-cranks_280400

Looks like you could get by with a piece of aluminum billet or maybe a spare crank bolt, but not sure how you'd reproduce that Park pad for alloy cranks…

FWIW, while looking thru stuff about this issue, I found this post from a bike mech in the UK:

The best power-torque tools are made by cyclus. They are very expensive though but the quality of the tools means that no damage will ever come to your carnak arms or bearings.

1) look fab
2) have low Q factors,

So with the money you would save buy buying veloce cranks over ultergra say you can buy all the proper tools to serivce them rather than trying to the cheapest and probably a poorer tool.

I use the Campagnolo plug. They made this but never a puller.

I can look up the part number. I've never had an issue with pulling PT cranks, nor with their performance. I suspect many who had-mouth them hear interweb stuff 2/3/4th hand. They work great, are not expensive.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM
なんでやねん

Park Tools for Campy Power Tq Crank

Quote:
not sure how you'd reproduce that Park pad for alloy cranks…

I broke mine (don't ask) and ever since have just been using a soft rag instead. Works fine.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM

I broke the main plastic piece of the park extractor. They replaced it, but it just is a bit too flimzy for getting the NDS PT crank arm off. (Yes, the arm was fully greased before install, but I cranked it on to the shaft pretty tight)

I bought an all metal unit to get that arm off next time.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
I broke the main plastic piece of the park extractor. They replaced it, but it just is a bit too flimzy for getting the NDS PT crank arm off. (Yes, the arm was fully greased before install, but I cranked it on to the shaft pretty tight)

I bought an all metal unit to get that arm off next time.
Where? The Cyclus one?

Apparently the Park piece may be under-engineered, since the interwebs have multiple mentions of them breaking.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
1) look fab
2) have low Q factors,

[/I]
1-5 are spot on and why many love Campy, but as a home mechanic UT is much more serviceable.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Where? The Cyclus one?

Apparently the Park piece may be under-engineered, since the interwebs have multiple mentions of them breaking.
I bought this one as somebody on a bike forum (might have been here, can't remember for sure) had suggested it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 AM

I bought one like this;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007Q9...UIS_B007Q9VHNM

Worked well enough to pull my cranks and will last forever of pulling power torque cranks is all that I ask if it.

I also used a 500 Won coin and the black piece from a cheap crank puller like below that I had floating in my junk tool drawer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006UMFUES/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1416652713&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 AM

JW... you had to file the bottom part???

I been thinking in buying the crown race extractor that looks like a bearing separator to be used too in UT bearings but no idea if it will work, anybody has experience on that??