Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM

I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira. We only get together once or twice a month for shows and an occasional practice. We mostly practice new songs as we work towards our next recording. The limited time requirement is what makes it work - we just celebrated our 10th year playing together. Even with the limited time, we've had pretty good success. We've recorded five albums, toured California three times and spent a week playing across Italy. We make just enough from our shows and merchandise sales to break even on our traveling expenses and recording costs. I don't really see how you can make money playing music these days except for giving lessons or being a really big touring act.

Here is a video of a song from our show in Livorno, Italy. You can see the beautiful scenery because it's dark (we were playing at 2am), but the stage is on the side of a cliff overlooking the Ligurian Sea - amazing!! "Burning Mirage" - The Madeira
Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Watched this last night. Pretty much sums up why very few artists make a living in the music industry today... http://www.artifactthefilm.com/
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira.
HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I HAVE "SANDSTORM" !!!
Just cued it up on the ipod!!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM

I've been playing drums for forty years, jazz and blues mostly and a few cover bands for a while to pay the bills. Went to Eastman School of Music and studied with some great guys. But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich) it is a very hard way to actually make a living, raise a family, save for retirement...all the "normal" things. These days with jazz a distant memory in the minds of most people...even tougher. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop playing it though but broadcasting and writing is my career gig.

Dave Ferris, nice playing Bro. Tell your drummer nice chops and I love his ride cymbal.

(Edit) Crap Dave...I've been listeing through your entire Sound Cloud play list...just killer. Listening to Monk's "Reflections" now...sweet. Made my day.

Who are the other players in your trio? Accomplished players all.

Last edited by Hawker; 11-18-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
I play bass in a surf rock band - The Madeira. We only get together once or twice a month for shows and an occasional practice. We mostly practice new songs as we work towards our next recording. The limited time requirement is what makes it work - we just celebrated our 10th year playing together. Even with the limited time, we've had pretty good success. We've recorded five albums, toured California three times and spent a week playing across Italy. We make just enough from our shows and merchandise sales to break even on our traveling expenses and recording costs.]
Interesting that several surf bands (from the day) came from places where surfing was not possible, most notably the Astronauts (CO and the Lively Ones (OK). Surf music has seen a resurgence over the years with Jon and The Nightriders really pushing that trend here on the west coast in the late 70's, then Dick Dale made a comeback in the early 90's with the success of 'Miserlou' on Pulp Fiction.

I used to play bass out of the amp your lead guitarist is using, 2x15 blond Showman. The best rig though was a 80's Rick ported 18 cab with a Peavey Black Widow and any 100 watt amp was more than enough to make John Doe from X wonder how I made such bass when he had a stack of Randalls or an SVT. Technique John, technique.

Have you guys ever billed with Los Straitjackets?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Interesting that several surf bands (from the day) came from places where surfing was not possible, most notably the Astronauts (CO and the Lively Ones (OK). Surf music has seen a resurgence over the years with Jon and The Nightriders really pushing that trend here on the west coast in the late 70's, then Dick Dale made a comeback in the early 90's with the success of 'Miserlou' on Pulp Fiction.

I used to play bass out of the amp your lead guitarist is using, 2x15 blond Showman. The best rig though was a 80's Rick ported 18 cab with a Peavey Black Widow and any 100 watt amp was more than enough to make John Doe from X wonder how I made such bass when he had a stack of Randalls or an SVT. Technique John, technique.

Have you guys ever billed with Los Straitjackets?
The SWR amp in the video was the backline for that festival. I usually play out of a '67 Dual Showman & 2x15 cabinet.

Yes, we played with Los Straightjackets once, and another time with one of their offshoots - The Neanderthals. We also opened for Dick Dale when he was in town back in July. We have a lot of fun, and it's always great coming to southern California. Surf rock sounds best played close to the beach!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
2Retro4U

I was a rock band roadie in SF after getting out of the Army in 1968. I worked for the Sons of Champlin for 42 years before hanging it up in 2010. I missed four shows in that time, one when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, three others in 1974 when the truck blew an engine on tour and I had to stay with it while it was rebuilt. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, and I always delivered.

I worked on shows with The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Credence, Santana, Byrds, The Band, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and The News, Albert King, Ike and Tina turner, Jethro Tull, Average White Band, Ten Years After, Bo Diddly, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. etc. Smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, went mountain biking with Bob Weir, and when I met Janis she was only wearing red panties.

Maybe 25 years ago I started playing in my own bands, we were the house band at a sleazy bar for a while.

I have a studio, and if you build it, they will come. For my latest iteration I called a few of my professional musician friends, and mostly we jam in the studio. There is a shifting cast of characters depending on who has a gig, one is a songwriter whose work I have admired for 40 years, and who now plays with me.

We are "Funk and Disorderly."
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 PM

Not surprising really that so many of us here are musicians. As cycling in my experience has historically always been an outsider sport. And akin to the sensitivities of the musically inclined.

It was only recently in the 90's with the Armstrong phenomenon, that cycling became appreciated by the masses in the USA.

And there spawned the rise of agro strava knuckleheads racing across the GG bridge every weekend with baby trailers in tow.

Pro musician for many years... Played Royal Albert Hall and had a one on one lunch with Lou Reed... In retrospect, those were the highlights I should have appreciated more at the time.

Anyways... Cycling soothes the soul in a very familiar way that a magical chord or sound can. Nothing else like it.... I think we all know that.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 AM

I used to work for Ibanez and Tama some 30 years ago. Actually was one of the manufacturing team for Camco Drums. My drums have been in boxes for almost 30 years. Earlier this year met a pro drummer from my old stomping grounds and sparked a flame. Been considering an electronic set due to space limitations and neighbors.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I've been playing drums for forty years, jazz and blues mostly and a few cover bands for a while to pay the bills. Went to Eastman School of Music and studied with some great guys. But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich) it is a very hard way to actually make a living, raise a family, save for retirement...all the "normal" things. These days with jazz a distant memory in the minds of most people...even tougher. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop playing it though but broadcasting and writing is my career gig.

Dave Ferris, nice playing Bro. Tell your drummer nice chops and I love his ride cymbal.

(Edit) Crap Dave...I've been listeing through your entire Sound Cloud play list...just killer. Listening to Monk's "Reflections" now...sweet. Made my day.

Who are the other players in your trio? Accomplished players all.
Hi Steve. Thanks for the nice words, very much appreciated.

Ah Eastman , home of Bill Dobbins. God I've gotten some mileage out of this book of his:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Appro.../dp/B000WMIPMQ

And his transcriptions on Herbie & Clare Fischer (who I studied with briefly) are probably some of the greatest educational contributions to Modern jazz in the last 50 years. Bill's ears are just staggering !

Yes, many friends out here in LA are Eastman alumnus. Close friend and trumpeter Howie Shear. Bob Sheppard , who played on my first CD back in '91, and is probably one of the greatest musicians I've had the privilege of playing with.

Others are Rob Lockhart , Bill Cunliffe, Brian Scanlon, Bob Mcchesney, Bevan Manson and Clay Jenkins (who moved back to Rochester and took a teaching gig at Eastman). I'm sure there are others but those guys are around my age, 61, and come to mind first.
All GREAT players , composers and arrangers.

Yes the drummer on the higher quality studio recordings on SC is one of LA's finest and a long time comrade in arms- Kendall Kay.

The bass player on my first CD, "The Quiet One" is the late Eric Von Essen. A true pure un-compromising Artist who had a profound effect on my playing and music. Lost unfortunately at too young an age and is greatly missed by the entire jazz and arts scene in LA.

On the Vocal tracks it's another one of LA's finest (who I believe re-located to New Zealand in the past year) - bassist Tom Warrington.

And the aforementioned Bob Sheppard is on Tenor on all the Quiet One tracks on SC. We did that at Chick Corea's old studio in Los Feliz- Mad Hatter , live to two track (no overdubs).

We (the trio) had one very short rehearsal with Bob and he basically sight read the stuff down on the date. Most of the tunes were in one take. 70 minutes of music.

I wrote "Road to Boston" in 1990 while preparing for my first Boston Marathon in '91. Bob plays a great solo on it as he does on every track. Can hardly believe it was August of '91 when we recorded that...23 years have gone by ! A lot of it still sounds pretty fresh to my ears , of course I'm a little biased...lol

But yeah Jazz (or any good music of high quality) is like a fine classic bike - it always holds its integrity , no many how many years go by. Sure as heck can't say that about most of the sonic drivel that's polluting the airwaves I hear today. But then that's subject matter for an entriely different thread that could be pages long.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Hey Hawker -

Ever heard of Clayton Cameron?
Saw him play w/ Kenny Burrell a while back. Does some cool things with brushes.

Quote:
But unless you ARE great (Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich)
Don't forget Joe Morello!!
The only guy I ever heard make a drum solo actually musical

or Billy Cobham, Philly Joe, Elvin, Blakey
Old 11-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Clayton Cameron is a monster drummer for sure. I hope we get to play together at some point in time. He took Joe Labarbera's place with Tony Bennett years ago. Not sure if Clayton is still doing the gig though.

Joe was Bill Evans' last drummer btw.

When I was up in Inverness at Steve Potts home ordering my 29er, I found out he was a close friend of Bill Cobham. Being the kinda guy that can *make* anything...Steve was going to design a snare drum for Billy at some point. Probably when he can find time away from type IIs and all the bikes...

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-19-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling on Joe's name
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
Bevan Manson
...[snip]...
Tom Warrington

Ha! Small world: Bevan was teaching at NEC when I was getting my Masters there, and Tom was my undergraduate Arranging teacher at Berklee.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 PM
jam

OT: any musician types out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
I was a rock band roadie in SF after getting out of the Army in 1968. I worked for the Sons of Champlin for 42 years before hanging it up in 2010. I missed four shows in that time, one when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, three others in 1974 when the truck blew an engine on tour and I had to stay with it while it was rebuilt. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, and I always delivered.

I worked on shows with The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Credence, Santana, Byrds, The Band, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and The News, Albert King, Ike and Tina turner, Jethro Tull, Average White Band, Ten Years After, Bo Diddly, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. etc. Smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, went mountain biking with Bob Weir, and when I met Janis she was only wearing red panties.

Maybe 25 years ago I started playing in my own bands, we were the house band at a sleazy bar for a while.

I have a studio, and if you build it, they will come. For my latest iteration I called a few of my professional musician friends, and mostly we jam in the studio. There is a shifting cast of characters depending on who has a gig, one is a songwriter whose work I have admired for 40 years, and who now plays with me.

We are "Funk and Disorderly."

Man, RR. What I would have given to have been that close to those musicians. Just the soundtrack for much of my life. Nice.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Not surprising really that so many of us here are musicians. As cycling in my experience has historically always been an outsider sport. And akin to the sensitivities of the musically inclined.

It was only recently in the 90's with the Armstrong phenomenon, that cycling became appreciated by the masses in the USA.

And there spawned the rise of agro strava knuckleheads racing across the GG bridge every weekend with baby trailers in tow.

Pro musician for many years... Played Royal Albert Hall and had a one on one lunch with Lou Reed... In retrospect, those were the highlights I should have appreciated more at the time.

Anyways... Cycling soothes the soul in a very familiar way that a magical chord or sound can. Nothing else like it.... I think we all know that.
As your last point- yes!

Don't tell anyone, but sometimes, late at night, I just sit and hit a chord on my piano and just let it ring. Then I stick my head inside and just listen as it fades away.

Works with all sorts of chords- with simple chords you can just hear the sweetness -and with more complex chords (e.g the last chord of "Gaucho" by Steely Dan!) you can hear the notes both working with each other and working against each other .

Love it.