Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Member?

Rapha and Specialized? How disappointing.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Campy and shimano will be debated for years to come. I run campy on the road bikes and always have. Shimano will work great as well, seems fine on my mtn bikes. I even have, gulp, sorry OP SRAM on one mtn bike and it works as well.

Now the mavic open pros. Just an opinion but for similar money I think there are many other options. 15 years ago I had several sets, but none in recent years, nothing special and make noise.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Handbuilt Pacenti SL23 rims built with White Industries hubs would be great wheels.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Before i start looking, how difficult is it to build a wheelset. The process seems to be surround by a bit of mystique (at least in my mind).

I'm pretty capable mechanically, and have a well stocked garage, but I would imagine there is a unique torque wrench involved that I don't have. I do love a build project though.

Let me know, and be gentle if it's a bad question.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight228 View Post
Before i start looking, how difficult is it to build a wheelset. The process seems to be surround by a bit of mystique (at least in my mind).

I'm pretty capable mechanically, and have a well stocked garage, but I would imagine there is a unique torque wrench involved that I don't have. I do love a build project though.

Wheel building is not a black art and really not that difficult. Like many things experience helps. It does require some tools, nothing too extravagant, you will need a truing stand which can be found fairly inexpensively and you will need a book, Jobst Brant is probably the gold standard, I'm sure there are others.

All that said unless this is something you are really interested in and expect to do with some regularity you should have an experienced builder do it for you. You'll be more pleased with the product and less frustrated. It you like that sort of thing then by all means go for it. There are many good builders right here. Eric from ergot wheels is a member and very good, I think old potato still builds and others.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Everything is connected

If you don't have a 9 speed group in the parts bin, move on up the ladder to 10 speed at least. I say that as someone who has DA 9 speed on one of my bikes. The clean look of the cable routing alone makes sense with the Ottrott.

If the rest of your bikes run Shimano and you have a stash of wheels, sticking with Shimano might make sense. Or you might take a walk on the wild side and find out how the other half lives with Campagnolo.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:05 PM

If you are handy with your hands, mechanically inclined, and generally tackle do it yourself projects with great success, then by all means try building your own wheels. You have to be able to true the wheels and dish the rear wheel. There are lots of books and videos and you might even be able to borrow the tools or get your LBS to do final check for free.

This does not describe me so I would not even consider building a wheel. Good luck. Don't believe you will save much money as the labor of building the wheel is the least expensive cost of a handbuilt wheel.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Well, it's not hard but it can be difficult. Getting 4 variables correct all at the same time can be challenging. Most of us who build wheels started a while ago on our own wheels, at least I did. But even after 29 years, a wheel build is still fun, challenging and very satisfying.

Decent, proper spoke wrench, truing stand, way to check dish and tension.. Couple of good books and videos out there that talks about the why and where-for.

Jobst Brandt, Gerd Schraener(sp?)....others.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

When I got my Ottrott in 2005 the "period correct" group on it was Dura Ace 7800! I since upgraded it to 7900 for the hidden cables and better lever shape. I also spec'd the Dura Ace 7800 wheel set which is still going strong. In 9 years I have only had to true the front wheel once. These are really nice wheels if you can find them.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech....heels/DSCN1821
Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 PM

Well, it looks like the momentum has shifted to Campy, as I believe I have purchased a 10-speed Campy group. I very much appreciate the recommendation to compare the 9 and 10 speed, and agree the clean look is a plus.

I am intrigued by the sl23 recommendation, but the wheelsets I've found are pretty pricey from my perspective (north of 1k). Am I looking in the wrong places?

If I were to have the built, what are thoughts on DT Swiss hubs (240s)?

I appreciate the references, but from what I'm reading I don't think I would; 1 - do it with enough frequency be competent, and 2 - frequently enough to justify the tool expense.

Truly appreciate all the advice.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Well, it looks like the momentum has shifted to Campy, as I believe I have purchased a 10-speed Campy group. I very much appreciate the recommendation to compare the 9 and 10 speed, and agree the clean look is a plus.

I am intrigued by the sl23 recommendation, but the wheelsets I've found are pretty pricey from my perspective (north of 1k). Am I looking in the wrong places?

If I were to have the built, what are thoughts on DT Swiss hubs (240s)?

I appreciate the references, but from what I'm reading I don't think I would; 1 - do it with enough frequency be competent, and 2 - frequently enough to justify the tool expense.

Truly appreciate all the advice.

DT240 great hubs but look at DT350 also. Some 'off shore' components but still great hubs for less $. Also White Industry or my personal choice, Record hubs, best design of the bunch, imho.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:19 PM

If I may chime in about wheels only. Do not buy Shimano wheels. Shimano j-bend hubs are classic don't shy away from them but Shimano wheels are the enemy. Everything is proprietary. But, that is something a wheelbuilder would say, so grain of salt I guess
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreywood View Post
If I may chime in about wheels only. Do not buy Shimano wheels. Shimano j-bend hubs are classic don't shy away from them but Shimano wheels are the enemy. Everything is proprietary. But, that is something a wheelbuilder would say, so grain of salt I guess
Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreywood View Post
errr..all wheelsouttaboxes are proprietary, all of them. Mavic, Campagnolo, Fulcrum, shimano, Corima, putnameofwheelhere...
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 AM
That guy..

Re: Build-up Advice - Ottrott

Long time Shimano rider. Started off with Shhrrraam Rival. Made my way to Dura Ace couple years ago. Been loving it ever since. 7700/7800/7900 all great groups. However..... Recently built a bike with 10spd Centaur..... Must say... Being the lower end of Campagnolo... I was quite impressed. So much so.... Now I'm looking for some record or super record for future upgrade. I've never had to yet.... But the rebuilding abilities of Campagnolo is a HUGE plus imo. Shimano will always win in the affordable replacement category though. Things to think about if your going older Gen groups.

Never dabbled into the sram line up. Ever. Besides Rival. Good starter group. Just didn't like anything about it. Haha