Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Paging Ti Designs

Ed, you may have seen this already from the Sufferfest folks; it shows there is a market for the excellent technique work you do.

I have really benefited from your videos on dynamic fit and pedalling technique. I know in this thread you were talking about how the fit process is valued (or not) by your shop. Perhaps going direct to the market can work too.

I'm eager for more stuff from you; and appreciate the fact you've put your vids out there for free. Perhaps monetizing remote training tools is another option for you (and others).
Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Looks like they have figured out how to market technique work to the Rapha crowd by calling it style...

Filming of my pedal stroke program is on hold while I put the basics of bike fit on video. I realized that when I teach my pedal stroke class, I need to first check bike fit - it doesn't work if the fit isn't right. Bike fit and explaining how it all works together isn't a small subject. The more I put on film the more I realize I've missed things.

I will have my pedal stroke program on video by the end of October, along with a fitting guide. It's going to be free, I see my income coming from personal coaching, which I hope will increase when people have a better understanding.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Byron

Ti,
As I wrote you when you first posted a video link about "Falling on the pedals", I think the visuals save you a lot of typing time on forums like this trying to explain your techniques.
Thanks,
Byron
Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I watched the "Elements of Style" video - this is the time of year I look at what others are doing for coaching and training. I'm always looking for new ideas, I borrow what I think is good from other programs. Allow me to define "good" here, because my definition is far from universal:

Good (describing an off season training plan or a part of one):

Ed's definition: An element which offers improvement

The more common definition: A hard workout

The other common definition: Anything involving Rapha wearing pro cyclists

I'll never understand why 99.9% will go for the two common definitions and never stop to ask where the improvements come in. It's also somewhat depressing to know that most people will never know the difference between the Sufferfest video and what I teach, so here's a little comparison:

Sufferfest, the Elements of Style: You already know how to ride a bike, we're going to give you areas to concentrate on. Watch this video and you'll be as stylish as the riders in it - and thin too!

Ed's coaching: You don't know how to pedal a bike - you know how to balance a bike and you're borrowing a skill set from walking. Slow it down to a halt, break the pedal stroke down to segments, work muscle group by muscle group until you can put it back together in an efficient sequence. No Rapha needed.

My trainer set-up video and the first week of my pedal stroke class instruction video will show up to preview here shortly. If nothing else, the Sufferfest video got my ass in gear...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
I watched the "Elements of Style" video - this is the time of year I look at what others are doing for coaching and training. I'm always looking for new ideas, I borrow what I think is good from other programs. Allow me to define "good" here, because my definition is far from universal:

Good (describing an off season training plan or a part of one):

Ed's definition: An element which offers improvement

The more common definition: A hard workout

The other common definition: Anything involving Rapha wearing pro cyclists

I'll never understand why 99.9% will go for the two common definitions and never stop to ask where the improvements come in. It's also somewhat depressing to know that most people will never know the difference between the Sufferfest video and what I teach, so here's a little comparison:

Sufferfest, the Elements of Style: You already know how to ride a bike, we're going to give you areas to concentrate on. Watch this video and you'll be as stylish as the riders in it - and thin too!

Ed's coaching: You don't know how to pedal a bike - you know how to balance a bike and you're borrowing a skill set from walking. Slow it down to a halt, break the pedal stroke down to segments, work muscle group by muscle group until you can put it back together in an efficient sequence. No Rapha needed.

My trainer set-up video and the first week of my pedal stroke class instruction video will show up to preview here shortly. If nothing else, the Sufferfest video got my ass in gear..
+1 on the difference. And thank you for your previous generosity here -- looking forward to the pedal stroke classes!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:01 PM
cmg

so when will a climbing video makes its appearance? did you have technique about dropping your weight on the pedals while standing to climb? it's kind of hard to look at the sufferfest ad and not smile. humor does sell.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 AM

First I also want to say thanks to Ti Designs. His videos made big difference for me. Now I have better bike fit and I understand a bit more about pedaling.

I also have the Sufferfest video. I really enjoy the Sufferfest videos for training motivation. The fact that TrainerRoad incorporates them is also really nice for my time on the trainer.

I bought the elements of style thinking it would not hurt ( I have all of the other videos so why not.) Well I was right. It did not help either

Ed, you are a giving person. You have a wealth of knowledge that comes from your dedication and love of what you do. I wish you would think about making videos that you could market and sell.

You could easily use kickstarter. It is perfect for this. You already have your product more or less and that would allow pre-sales and money to make it very professional.

If decide to not to send me your paypal since I have already taken too much without compensating you.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 AM
なんでやねん

Paging Ti Designs

I was actually going to buy that video. This may be the first time this forum has saved me money
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
thanks to Ti Designs.
Yes, thank you!! Your advice has make a difference in my riding.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
First I also want to say thanks to Ti Designs...
+1. Thanks Ed!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACvZ...ature=youtu.be

I'm putting the pedal stroke classes I've been teaching for the past few years on-line, this is the instruction part of week 1. It covers the use of hip flexors, so by itself it's not much good, but I have some good reasons for teaching the muscle groups in the order that I do. I'm trying to get the instruction part of the whole class by the end of the month. I welcome any feedback, I know there are a couple of things I left hanging...
Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACvZ...ature=youtu.be

I'm putting the pedal stroke classes I've been teaching for the past few years on-line, this is the instruction part of week 1. It covers the use of hip flexors, so by itself it's not much good, but I have some good reasons for teaching the muscle groups in the order that I do. I'm trying to get the instruction part of the whole class by the end of the month. I welcome any feedback, I know there are a couple of things I left hanging...

How do the objectives of muscle use with this pedal stroke differ from the objectives of the Powercrank pedal stroke ?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc View Post
How do the objectives of muscle use with this pedal stroke differ from the objectives of the Powercrank pedal stroke ?
I hinted at this answer at the very start - the hip flexors have next to nothing to contribute in terms of power, yet they need to be active by the third week of the pedal stroke program... I guess I left one very important detail out, that was week one of a four week class.

Almost every study about pedal stroke has come to the same conclusion - large muscle groups are better at producing power. Pedaling in true circles would imply that your hip flexors are supplying the same amount of force as your glutes or quads. That's kinda like pulling out your spark plugs and trying to drive around using your starter motor. It'll move the car, but not very well, and it'll burn out. Power cranks imply that the hip flexor is an important muscle in generating power, and that they can be significantly strengthened. I can think of 11 muscles which can produce power at the pedal (without doing something really stupid on the bike), I focus on two of them because that's where the gains are to be made.

So why work on hip flexors at all? Two reasons. When most people start the one leg pedal stroke drill they notice that in a really easy gear their food gets pushed right to the bottom. Almost everything you do involves weight on your feet, that's your default. In the next class we learn that weight on the feet at the front of the pedal stroke is power - that's good. When the pedal gets past 6:00 and is going back up, weight on the foot while the pedal is still going up pushes the hip up. Hips getting pushed up at 80Hz is called torturing your lower back and SI joint. Just taking the weight off the pedal corrects the problem. The second answer comes in the third lesson when the quads are used to push the pedals forward over the top of the pedal stroke. The problem is the knee is well above the bottom bracket, so the arc of the foot and the arc of the pedal don't match. The hip flexor directs the force generated by the quad around the circle, instead of into it.

On some level you could say my first week and PowerCranks teach the same thing, but I see limited use of the hip flexor with a high danger of injury should you ask too much of them.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
+1. Thanks Ed!
Me, too. Great stuff!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

There's this separation between fitting and coaching - every fit school I've been to has clearly stated that coaching isn't part of fitting. My co-workers laugh at me because I coach riders during fittings. Look at any of the bike fitting web sites and you'll find no connection between the two.

I'm working on week 2 of the pedal stroke program, and it's impossible to draw the line between coaching and fitting. If you're not in the right place on the bike you can't get your body weight on the pedals, if you don't know how to get your body weight on the pedals, you can't find the right place on the bike.

As much as I've been trying not to do this, I have to make a bike fitting video as well. I so don't want to be another idiot on youtube telling you how to fit on your bike... I'll set myself apart by explaining the goals for position and the reasons for the limits instead of giving a step by step set of rules. At least then I'll a unique idiot.

Parts of my pedal stroke videos will refer to the fitting guide, which I haven't made yet. This forum is me beta test, the web site doesn't go up until I have it all done. So, asking me where the fitting guide is a lot like the child in the back seat asking "are we there yet?".

Oh yeh, if you go for a fitting, and for some reason you always have weight on your hands, as your fitter if they do any coaching...