Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Colnago question

I recently purchased a NOS Colnago C-50 and dropped it off at my local bike shop to have them install a Record threadless headset. The shop called today saying they have to order a special compression plug for the Colnago fork. Is this true? If so, why and who makes this magical plug? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Yes.

Campy headsets come with regular SFNs. A carbon fork steerer needs an expansion plug. Standard stuff.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Colnago question

They said a regular expansion plug doesn't work because of something special about Colnago carbon forks....

Old 11-20-2014, 10:54 PM

I think that you and your shop might be having a communication issue... some folks call threadless + star nut a "compression headset" because it works via compression, too.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 PM
cmg

"doesn't work because of something special about Colnago carbon forks" not all carbon forks have the same inside diameter. The something special means that the shop doesn't carry all the variants. a shop that doesn't sell Colnagos probably won't carry the needed parts. watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQe9TJJq1PE it's mentioned around the 2:50 mark. there are very few standards. Chris king for example sells different base plates (fork crown) for a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

Last edited by cmg; 11-20-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 PM

If the fork you have in the colnago is made of carbon then what they need is a compression plug aka expander like the FSA somebody is selling like for 5 bucks in the forums.

If the fork has a regular aluminum steering column then is clear to use or a expander or a star nut...

BUT maybe the guys are after the colnago expander??? the particularity of that expander is that is like 3 times longer than the regular ones, less chances to overtorque the thing blah blah... IMO? doesnt matter than much because the campagnolo headset uses like a wedge, you tight just enough and the wedge will get the headset ready to go, so pretty much how long the expander (long or a short one) will be used maybe for 10 seconds to get the headset right.

Since a long time that I havent seen those colnago expanders even in ebay. Hope the bill is not that high.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 PM

CMG expanders have tolerances, have a 1 1/8 colnago fork in here and I even went to try one expander FSA i have moving around and the thing will tight just right. I do get what you are saying tho... but what I think is that the dudes are after the extra long colnago expander, and those looks like went MIA since years ago.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 PM
cmg

google extra long compression plugs. I had one like this from Bianchi, but Pinerello makes one to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bianchi plug.jpg (3.3 KB, 386 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 03:12 PM

yep, colnago expander bungs are "extra long"

to give the steerer-tube area clamped by the stem more support. the ID of the steerer doesnt appear to be particularly unique.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Colnago question

New twist: bike shop says the need for a special compression plug is because fork on the c50 has an "oval" internal shape. I don't recall that but going back to shop tomorrow to confirm. Does this sound fishy to you?

Old 11-22-2014, 12:31 AM

The plot thickens...

No such thing as a Colnago specific compression plug or Colnago specific oval steer tube.

....might b time to pick up ur new frame and find a new LBS.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:40 AM

Actually, there does appear to be a colnago specific expander plug:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...r/rp-prod70234

Some googling suggests that not all expanders have the same inner diameter, and not all forks are designed to use the same expander plugs (remember those alpha-qs with the glued in bung?), so not all plugs are made to fit all forks. In any event, it looks like the difference between the colnago one and the specialized one (which is excellent) is all of 15-20 bucks. Hardly a reason to switch shops if you like em. Heck, be happy they called around to ask if the nago had a special plug, instead of just ramming something too wrong into the hole.

Last edited by hockeybike; 11-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
Actually, there does appear to be a colnago specific expander plug:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...r/rp-prod70234

Some googling suggests that not all expanders have the same inner diameter, and not all forks are designed to use the same expander plugs (remember those alpha-qs with the glued in bung?), so not all plugs are made to fit all forks. In any event, it looks like the difference between the colnago one and the specialized one (which is excellent) is all of 15-20 bucks. Hardly a reason to switch shops if you like em. Heck, be happy they called around to ask if the nago had a special plug, instead of just ramming something too wrong into the hole.
Have a similiar issue with my C59 fork which uses the newer Acros style headset which holds the steer tube by a collar with a 1.5 allen screw. The top cap is also supposed to be held in by tightening that collar.

The Acros system didnt feel secure for my liking so I picked up a couple different ~2" non- colnago compression/expanders (one was by Orion and the other was some generic brand) to additionally secure the steering tube and add a std top cap but found they are just a slightly too large for the inner diameter of the steer tube.

Still just using the Acros headset alone for now until I decide to fork out $40 for one of the ones in the link.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
The plot thickens...

No such thing as a Colnago specific compression plug or Colnago specific oval steer tube.

....might b time to pick up ur new frame and find a new LBS.
Probably no oval ID but Colnago carbon forks DO have a specific internal expansion plug. I'm not sure if others will fit, like the Ritchey one. Perhaps not if the ID is small.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM

This is the reason why (and I apologize to the people that had/have/or work in a lbs) there is some simple stuff you have to make at home yourself.

Not saying that colnago couldn;t make an oval steering tube but if you look at it doesnt make any sense to even dare to make the steering tube ovalized internally w/o having the compressor available somewhere, people would know a detail as important as that one, even posted in several forums already. I had to design one I would make one rifled but not oval inside.

I would stop at the lbs to check that out yourself. If you have another bike with a regular expander just take it out, bring that to the LBS w/u, put it yourself in the fork and check out the fit, if fits ok tell the guy... "Oh! looks like we have a perfect fit!.."

Good luck.