Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I have seen that issue with these pumps, too. Some right on the showroom floor. Like there's no friction at all in the pumping chamber. A mechanic opened it up and put some lube on the ring, which acts like a gasket, I think, and it worked fine. I don't think it's a throw-away issue, just needs a little lube. Would guess that it sitting around for a few months caused it to dry out or something.

T
Thanks. I did this last night, took the top off with my 20 year old bottom bracket pin spanner that I've been keeping in case I ever needed it for anything...
The two rubber gaskets on the bottom plunger had some green grease on them and appeared fine, not dried out. But I went ahead and added a bit of grease, and that did seem to help, pump is working a bit better now.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I have a Lezyne pump I've had since 2008 and it has been fantastic... I have no doubt your pump may have an issue... I HIGHLY suggest before you tear it apart, you contact Lezyne customer service in the morning and see what they say...

Give the company a chance to make it right before ripping them on a forum...
Just wanted to follow up to Fourfly's post.
I emailed Lezyne using their website contact page on November 16th.
I've yet to hear anything from them.
So this is me now ripping them on a forum. Crappy pump, crappy customer service.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:26 AM

I too have a Lezyne floor pump. The chuck went to lunch so I bought another off ebay...problem solved.
I chucked the chuck
because the chuck sucked
so chuck your chuck
if your chuck sucks
and get a new chuck, Chuck!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff n. View Post
i too have a lezyne floor pump. The chuck went to lunch so i bought another off ebay...problem solved.
I chucked the chuck
because the chuck sucked
so chuck your chuck
if your chuck sucks
and get a new chuck, chuck!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Well, after several more months with my assortment of pumps, I've noted the following:
- I hate the Leyzyne pump. It takes forever to pump anything up, its like it isn't really catching any air pressure when it pumps. I did try taking apart and re-greasing the washer or whatever it was that was recommened, and it helped a tiny bit, but not much. It also tends to unscrew my valve extenders, even when releasing the pressure button first.

- I then bought the hirami pump head, thinking it would be the magical solution. Cut off the POS pump head from my specialized pump that never worked properly, and installed it on there. Didn't work well, and also the head was too big to fit in my disc wheel opening (Zipp Super 9).

- After trying all these pumps, the only one that seems to put air in reliably is a 10+ year old orange pedros floor pump that has a rusted shaft and the original pump head on it.

I really wanted something new and nicer with more volume, but nothing seems to work well for me! Grrr... I'd even pay for the $400 Silca floor pump if I thought the f'ing head on it would stay on the valve, but my experience with their track pumps tell me they won't...
Old 06-01-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Well, after several more months with my assortment of pumps, I've noted the following:
- I hate the Leyzyne pump. It takes forever to pump anything up, its like it isn't really catching any air pressure when it pumps. I did try taking apart and re-greasing the washer or whatever it was that was recommened, and it helped a tiny bit, but not much. It also tends to unscrew my valve extenders, even when releasing the pressure button first.

- I then bought the hirami pump head, thinking it would be the magical solution. Cut off the POS pump head from my specialized pump that never worked properly, and installed it on there. Didn't work well, and also the head was too big to fit in my disc wheel opening (Zipp Super 9).

- After trying all these pumps, the only one that seems to put air in reliably is a 10+ year old orange pedros floor pump that has a rusted shaft and the original pump head on it.

I really wanted something new and nicer with more volume, but nothing seems to work well for me! Grrr... I'd even pay for the $400 Silca floor pump if I thought the f'ing head on it would stay on the valve, but my experience with their track pumps tell me they won't...
Try using a non-threaded valve stem and your Silca. I've used a standard Silca floor pump this way for at least 20+ years with zero problem.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 PM

I have a nice Lezyne floor pump, which lost its mojo in a similar way. Lezyne has always been good about standing behind their product, so I emailed them with a description of the issue and asked if they could sell me the gasket parts. They said, no, we'll get them out to you right away. No charge. The rubber o-ring around the plunger needed replacing, and that was that.

I would suggest contacting the company if you have not already. They are trying to back up their products, but can't if they don't know about the problem. My 2c's.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Vendor

I am the Pump; there is no other Pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (38.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Lezyne Pump Not Working....

I've used my Lezyne floor pump for about 6 years now with no issues and it gets used a lot between my 3 bikes, my wife's, my sons road and MTB.
My LBS has one they recently put seals in after years of daily use.
Lezyne has good warranty, take it back to the shop you bought it from.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 PM

I had the exact same thing happen with my lezyne. A new oring fixed it but it took many tries to successfully reach anyone at Lezyne to get the oring.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
or buy 2 Lezyne's and spend the extra $350 on the bike
Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Exactly my experience. The O-ring seal lasts only a few months for me. Sure, I can measure it, and source a replacement-but still, shouldn't Lezyne be able to send me a replacement, or at very least tell me the spec on the part in their own pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twors View Post
My Lezyne pump lasted about 9 months before pumping became weak. You'll need a pin spanner wrench to unscrew the top to gain access to the seal. The seal is nothing more than a single o-ring around the pistion head. You'll find a extra o-ring around the shaft that acts as a bumper, switch them around and all should be good....for awhile. Still waiting for Lezyne to respond in question to replacement o-rings or what size the o-ring is, its been 6 weeks. Crappy seal package IMO considering the construction of the rest of pump.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
I, too, splurged for one of these. Got a deal.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I, too, splurged for one of these. Got a deal.
Please explain to me, how do you get a silca pump head to stay on the valve?!

Oh, and Lezyne got back to me finally, after I posted on their FB page. They said it was the o-ring and to go talk to my LBS..
Again, my old rusted pedros has never had a part replaced.....kind of frustrating...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Please explain to me, how do you get a silca pump head to stay on the valve?!
Loctite Red - it's the only way...