Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight228 View Post
Well, it looks like the momentum has shifted to Campy, as I believe I have purchased a 10-speed Campy group. I very much appreciate the recommendation to compare the 9 and 10 speed, and agree the clean look is a plus.

I am intrigued by the sl23 recommendation, but the wheelsets I've found are pretty pricey from my perspective (north of 1k). Am I looking in the wrong places?

If I were to have the built, what are thoughts on DT Swiss hubs (240s)?

I appreciate the references, but from what I'm reading I don't think I would; 1 - do it with enough frequency be competent, and 2 - frequently enough to justify the tool expense.

Truly appreciate all the advice.
Good choice on the Campag. The Pacenti rims look awesome. A good (possibly cheaper) alternative are Hplusson Archetypes. I would go with the DT 350 hub since it's cheaper than the 240 and very similar. Just limited options with the number of spokes you can use.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:11 PM

I'm thinking about grabbing a used wheelset for now, with the goal on building a set in the next year. Trying to decide whether to pick up a "new take-off" that would be serviceable in the interim, or look for a “better” set that’s seen some use. I've seen a few sets go across the classifieds this week that were probably good candidates.

Any thoughts there?

In the opposite direction, how difficult is it to touch-up the finish on scuffed hubs (specifically the 240s and 340s)? They're out there to be had used, but often look a little rought. Is the finis paint, or anodized on most black hubs. I wouldn't touch an attempt to refinish anodized with a stick.