Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
At this point I'd just like to watch a Der Klassiker that's competitive, I love that kind of match, El Classico for example, it's not the same if they become one sided. BVB and Schalke used to be really good too.

In the end, as a neutral I was fine with the Newcastle Arsenal outcome. They let both teams play all through the match and didn't call much of anything on physical play. BG could have been sent off, but he wasn't the only one playing on the edge. On the goal I don't think any of the officials have any idea still today if the ball was actually out or in, if it was onside or not and I don't think you can hang your hat on getting that foul called. The keeper went for that cross and didn't get there, at that point the entire play was behind them, that doesn't tend to work out, and neither does one shot on target.

Newcastle and Arsenal are both pretty good to follow to me, even if they're not my teams.
Schalke, despite having been relegated, acquitted themselves well in the Riviere Derby last year. One of the many draws that ultimately ended BVB’s title challenge.

As for Spurs game this afternoon. Holy s***, didn’t expect it. I always thought Spurs were over-performing and might revert to the mean. Didn’t realize the team would shoot itself in the foot and then lose two more players to injury…
Old 12-02-2023, 03:54 PM

Euro 2024 finals draw:
GROUP A: Germany (hosts), Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Spain, Croatia, Italy, Albania.

GROUP C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England.

GROUP D: Play-off winner A, (Poland/Wales/Finland/Estonia), Netherlands, Austria, France.

GROUP E: Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Play-off winner B (Israel/Bosnia/Ukraine/Iceland).

GROUP F: Turkey, Play-off winner C (Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg), Portugal, Czech Republic.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Euro 2024 finals draw:

GROUP D: Play-off winner A, (Poland/Wales/Finland/Estonia), Netherlands, Austria, France.

GROUP E: Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Play-off winner B (Israel/Bosnia/Ukraine/Iceland).

GROUP F: Turkey, Play-off winner C (Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg), Portugal, Czech Republic.
There's a good chance that Germany finishes third in that group.

None of the groups really feel like a Group of Death. Croatia isn't quite what it used to be.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
there's a good chance that germany finishes fourth in that group.
fify
Old 12-03-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
fify
Yikes, that's almost Tottenham/ BVB 09 level of self-doubt.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Euro 2024 finals draw:

Groups E & F seem like the opposite of the group of death.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:51 PM

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

Villa leads City, with a helter skelter quarter hour remaining.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:54 AM

For the first time in history - Santos relegated!!!!
Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

Villa leads City, with a helter skelter quarter hour remaining.
Villa dominated that match beyond anything I thought people thought could be done to City.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Villa dominated that match beyond anything I thought people thought could be done to City.
Indeed. City folded like a cheap suit without Rodri. But the lack of attacking intent was still glaring. Two shots (albeit both on goal) total. I think the record low before this was the match at Arsenal this season, where City had 4 shots (1 of which on goal). Incidentally, another match for which Rodri was suspended.

LFC, even when it was running rampant against City (3-1 in the title winning season and the 2018 UCL quarterfinal tie where LFC won 5-1 on aggregate), wasn't able to neutralize Pep's City to this extent.

Not having De Bruyne certainly doesn't help, but I always thought that Gundogan was the more influential player who got them ticking along when the going was tough.

Last edited by echappist; 12-07-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:30 PM

Anyone watch the Copa America draw tonight?
For the final team in Group C (which USA is in), they showed that selection as the play-in winner between Honduras and Costa Rica. However they immediately switched it to the Brazil group and the last team selected (Bolivia) was entered into group C.
Just curious!
Old 12-08-2023, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Indeed.

Not having De Bruyne certainly doesn't help, but I always thought that Gundogan was the more influential player who got them ticking along when the going was tough.
Good point about Gundogan. Its funny I look at him and I see Gattuso - just facially - but he certainly plays with more finesse and skill than Gattuso ever did. I say that as a Milan fan by the way

Last edited by Beldar77; 12-08-2023 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Napoli vs Milan.
Milan started Musah and Pulisic, as usual - both had an exceptional first half.
Pulisic was pulled for the 2nd half (injury?) and Napoli was able to shine (thank goodness) and salvage a draw at the Maradona.
It's rather crowded at the top of the Serie A table.

I thought Napoli was not doing well (there were talks of Garcia getting the sack), but they are at least in the UCL spots now.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
It's rather crowded at the top of the Serie A table.

I thought Napoli was not doing well (there were talks of Garcia getting the sack), but they are at least in the UCL spots now.
They have been a mess - Garcia changed things (I think they are much better under Spalletti's system of controlling the ball with quick short passes and a strong centre forward), ADL being himself - Garcia would have been sacked if Conte agreed to a contract, Osimhen with contract issues and injuries from international play. And loosing Kim was huge.
But yesterdays game was fun to watch.

Yup - crowed at the top - Americans assisting:
Pulisic and Musah on Milan
Weah and McKinnie on Juve
Old 09-20-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
so my mother is from Madrid, and I've been given RM kit since I was a child by half of my cousins there (a few are Atleti fans).. So I count myself as a doubting Real Madrid fan. Before this season I was getting worried some about them losing their identity and traditional Spanish core around the galacticos but that looks to be changing some this season with Joselu, Fran Garcia, and Brahim coming back.

I really follow 3 teams, Real Madrid, Celta Vigo (dad's family was from there, and Aspas is just incredible), and Real Oviedo in the second division since my grandmother followed them during their golden era in the 40s as a kid.
It’s all good . Hope you guys get a good viewing experience at the Bernabeu.

Though you’ll have to excuse me when i post “the game in Spain is played mainly in the brain” type of quips when the national team gets trounced despite having >70% possession.

As an ardent fan of USMNT, it’s just about all I have: schadenfreude when the big teams get upset.

Last edited by echappist; 09-20-2023 at 04:11 PM.