Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Got a 1Up that is about 6 years old and used moderately. I have noticed that the lever/ratchet to release the wheel cradles is getting harder to release and the bar release to lower the rack is also getting harder to use.

No idea if those are replaceable, repairable or just need maintenance, but I have been eyeing the Kuat piston. It looks like a more sensible and evolved design.

I am also confused by Qwikrack vs. 1Up as to who is better. I know who's cheaper.
Dry a drop of tri-flo in the stiff parts
Old 04-19-2024, 07:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Not all kuat. Just the expensive ones comparable to one up. I owned the lower cost transfer 3 bike for a little while and it stinks in every way compared to the equip d I replaced it with. It was heavy, ugly, way more difficult to install and swayed(they’ve solved that since), difficult to clamp bikes, and far less customizable.
Agreed. The Transfer is a big fat PITA. Hate selling them because by the time it's built, we've broken even.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:44 PM

No. I just sold a Kuat, and while it's good kit, it's not a 1-up. Not an even trade, IMO. I would keep the 1-up.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:56 PM

I would not swap a 1Up for anything other than another 1Up. My rack lives on my car and is used heavily for work - there is nothing that will outlast a 1Up. Their new heavier duty options are even easier to use and more bomber.

The only comparable rack is the QuikrStuff, which is for all intents and purposes, the same thing designed by the same people after they sold 1Up.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Agreed on sticking with the 1UP. Mine is going strong at 6-7 years old - drove cross country with it with 3 bikes and a packed car. I've had someone back into it in a parking lot while I was out on a ride and bent one of the parts. Within a week, 1UP got that part to me.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:25 PM

I might be in the minority here and I've never actually owned a 1Up rack so YMMV. I've had experience with the Kuat Piston Pro X and it has been fantastic. Easy to use, durable, and installation is a breeze. I've had a couple of minor issues and Kuat has also been great to deal with on the phone and promptly sent up replacement/warranty parts when needed. The 1Up is likely a great rack too but the "homemade in my garage" look isn't stylish enough to hang off the back of my truck...
Old 04-23-2024, 12:35 PM

Going to try to tune up the 1Up.

The one that caught my eye is the Rocky Mounts Guiderail. Kind of like if a good product design firm re-designed the 1Up.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Vendor

Like others have already said, sounds like you just need some maintenance. I have a Kuat NV and know others with a 1UP and Piston Pro. They all have their pro/cons, but I wouldn't swap. Kuat has fantastic customer service. I needed some wheel adaptors to fit kids bikes. I called them up, a real person answered, and they immediately shipped out a pair. The Piston has tail lights. I wish they all did. The main benefit of the 1UP design is that the bikes are angled up. The further something sticks out the back the worse the departure angle. On the Kuat, the bike trays extend straight out. I sometimes carry 4 bikes. I have a lifted truck and I wouldn't want to try it on anything else unless there are no driveways to go up.