Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2022, 12:42 PM

Three years of pandemic riding

A couple of folks mentioned in the Goals for 2023 thread that they might be a bit nerdy. Well, I resemble that!

At the start of 2020 I'd already gone to 2 days/week working from home. Then early March all WFH as the pandemic shut things down, then at the end of 2020 I left my job and reverted to self-employment. The big effect of all this was time flexibility I didn't have with a job in an office, so I was able to ride when the weather was good, and work other times out of the usual 8-5. So my mileage increased a bunch. I track my riding with RidewithGPS and a Wahoo Elemnt.

I put the data into Excel because I was curious how much of the total each bike got during the three years 2020-2022. In the table, the green rows are bikes I own now. The Anderson was replaced by the Strong which was replaced by the Bingham. The Bilenky tandem wasn't a big hit and went away. I had the Casati for a year to experience Italian steel (TSX), but its place in the stable duplicated the Firefly so it eventually was sold.

At this point the all-road bike (Strong then Bingham) gets the most miles, and the Firefly is second. The two bike types, all road and 'pure' road, got 65% of my miles in 2022. The Pivot FS29er is primarily ridden on the Sunday morning MTB small group ride, and it's pretty much what I'd guess, about 650 miles annually.

The Nagasawa doesn't get a lot of miles but I'm not ready to abandon some fixed gear riding. The Dummy is the big stuff errand and go-to-the-beach bike, and hardly ever gets further than a 5 mile radius from the house.

I look forward to ramping down work even more, and I hope some more travel with a bike. This year I had some great riding in VT and Asheville, NC. I'd like to get out to the PNW again, and maybe Montana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 1.23.17 PM.jpg (97.3 KB, 249 views)
Old 12-31-2022, 01:01 PM
Sunshine

After looking at your breakdown, I just added my bikes to strava so I can track miles for each this coming year.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
After looking at your breakdown, I just added my bikes to strava so I can track miles for each this coming year.
One of the drawbacks of RideWithGPS is that it's not easy to download the data by bike, instead, it's just a file organized by date. There's a field where one can insert Gear, but it doesn't appear to be in the .csv file that is downloadable. So I get some of the data by using the filters on the actual web site and paste those into the spreadsheet. Strava may be more data analysis friendly.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The Bilenky tandem wasn't a big hit and went away.
I think you get to apply for a "We Survived Our Tandem" bumper sticker now
Old 12-31-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I think you get to apply for a "We Survived Our Tandem" bumper sticker now
The funny aspect was that my wife can ride her own road bike just fine, but she doesn't like to go too fast so she slows down descending hills. So on the tandem, she paid a lot of attention when we were going downhill - but didn't notice how fast we could go on the flat!
Old 12-31-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
They let you put a start date by component too, so you can track wear
Old 12-31-2022, 04:13 PM

Nice. Okay now group photo.