Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Mr Dobalina

Great/Cool Shi# Thread

In the last year what have you bought (bike preferred but not limited) that you consider great. Now don't tell me about your 83 Serotta (unless you bought it in the last year and you just discovered how awesome old steel is)

Reynolds blue (carbon specific brake pads).....and I thought Swisstop yellows were good. Pez mentioned...I bought...brakes awesome...no squealing.

Rotor Rings.....not sure how much faster I am, but noticeably less fatigued (muscle fatigue post ride) and nagging r-patellar knee pain....GONE

Sole self moldable shoe orthotics....have em in all my shoes, including my cycling shoes....better than some customs I have had made. REI carries em...bring your shoes with you. Thanks to Mandasol (forum member) for advice on dialing them in.

Motorola HD-10 blue tooth stereo headphones (not tethered to my music anymore...awesome for the gym (or bike ride if your inclined ) ...chimes over when the phone is ringing)

Last edited by firerescuefin; 07-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM

HOPE headset. CK now has some serious competition. All HOPE parts (headsets, skewers, bar ends, seat tube collars, hubsets) are top drawer, IMO.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 07-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM
2 ea his own

Fixin 2 drop $$ on an IPad. In anticipation, knowing it is great, IPad.

My Fujitsu ScanSnap!!!!!
It kicks az. It eats paper, has never malfunctioned and absolutely no problems whatsoever so far.
I love it. (and so do my classmates when I scan stuff and email to them)

not to use too much hyperbole but it has changed my life (wiping a tear away).

Last edited by 1happygirl; 07-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Back At It!

so I gotta say it's that I discovered classic steel... back in late April/early May I found a mid-eighties Bridgestone Mile112 and just couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was than my Ti Litespeed even thought it was probably a size too big (got it for $25 at Salvation Army)... so I was intrigued and ran across an opportunity to pick up a Steelman Stage Race... wow, I'm really loving it... I also gotta say I'm digging SRAM stuff... the Steelman came with so I thought I'd check it out... I gotta say it shifts well and feels just as good as my Campy 11sp Chorus...

Last, the coolest thing that has happned to me this last year is the Coast Guard deciding to send me to college full time while they pay me salary and pay for my college! this has given me time to be Mr. Mom to my 3 y/o during the day and it has been great!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys
Last, the coolest thing that has happned to me this last year is the Coast Guard deciding to send me to college full time while they pay me salary and pay for my college! this has given me time to be Mr. Mom to my 3 y/o during the day and it has been great!
Congrats! My dad got the Army to pay for not one, but TWO masters degrees.

Neatest thing in the last year??? Specialized Prevail helmet. I had to wear a head warmer jobbie well into the upper 50s this winter/spring

Acros stuff. Well made. They're German after all!

A-23s are meh. They go round in circles. I'd trade my pair of slightly ridden rims for some Open Pros, Aeroheads, or Amborsio Excellights

Louis Garneau Equipe bibs. Mmmm nice.

M
Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Older Than You

My new to me Serotta Custom Ti. I've had carbon bikes that were lighter but none rode like this Serotta.

I've re-discovered my 91 Paramount. I acquired a Velo Orange setback seat post and what a difference it made....like a new bike. I'm finally getting enough miles on it to break in my Brooks Pro saddle.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Time & Bikes

Bought a Volkswagen GTI hatchback last September -- and I'm delighted with it.

The bike element: I realized a hatch would be better for sticking a bike inside than the Acura TSX sedan I traded in. That's a breeze.

The car element: I realized the GTI would drive better on the twisty Hudson Valley roads than other hatchbacks in that price range -- and it's great fun to drive, with a smooth 6-speed manual.

Plus, the Dynaudio stereo has the best sound I've heard in a car -- which matters a lot to me -- and I can play hours and hours of music off of a tiny 32GB SDHC card.

The GTI is great, and a great value I'd say.

Dave, who cares too much about his bikes to stick them on roof racks which is why he and his wife also have a small SUV for carrying both their bikes together inside
Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Assos winter bibs. When worn under tights, they allowed sub 25 degree rides to be achieved in comfort.

Zonda wheelset. Best bang for the buck wheelset.

Vittoria Open Evo SC. I sold all my tub wheelsets and tires.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Cool stuff

Knog Frogs. We got a set of front and rears and they are the best little lights you can imagine. The integrated rubber clamp is so cool. If you just need a little light to be seen, they are the shizzle dizzle!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator

veloflex corsa-22 clinchers. best clinchers i've used, hands down - great road feel, from a connected to road standpoint, great grip, supple ride, impressive handling.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I'll second steel, though not only classic. I picked up a IF SSR road frame and a Zanc cross frame this year. Awesome, reminded me of what I loved about riding in the 90s.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
veloflex corsa-22 clinchers. best clinchers i've used, hands down - great road feel, from a connected to road standpoint, great grip, supple ride, impressive handling.
Thanks, AS. I think I'm going to try these.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Trek 69er got me back on the mountain and enjoying it a true roadies mtb

xtr brifters make that long time gap between quick shifts and braking a thing of the past

Ortlieb panniers keep your stuff dry no matter the weather

USB rechargeable niterider mini newt best purchase I've made all year
Old 07-02-2011, 06:31 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
how's the flat resistance?

Last edited by thegunner; 07-02-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Mr Dobalina

AngryS....what tires are you using as a reference point to gauge the veloflexs aganst.