Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Time & Bikes

Titanium Seatpost in Titanium Frame ???

Because of galling or seizing or whatever the exact term, is it a dumb idea to install a titanium seatpost in a titanium frame?

I mean, normally, with an alloy seatpost in a titanium frame, I use copious amounts of Phil grease inside the seat tube and on the seatpost, and when I need to remove the post, all is good. And with a carbon seatpost in a titanium frame, I use that carbon paste, and again, removal is easy.

But if I were to install a ti seatpost in a ti frame, should I use lots of copper anti-seize? Or should I just skip the idea?

All real-life tales or expert insight with details appreciated here.

Dave, who is talking about a Chorus seatpost to be particular and who doesn't typically remove the seatpost every month or anything like that
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM

Many brands who manufacture high end titanium frames- Moots, Lynskey, Firefly, the list goes on- produce titanium seatposts that are frequently found on their frames. While I have never so much as owned a Ti frame, I cannot imagine this would be anything other than a fine idea, assuming you take care of the frame as you seem to already be doing with the current seatpost.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Administrator

zero issues to worry about. stuck seatposts are the derived from corrosion, which swells the diameter of the seat tube or the post, causing the freeze up. ti is pretty immune to corrosion of any sort. use a light layer of grease and you're good to go!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
zero issues to worry about. stuck seatposts are the derived from corrosion, which swells the diameter of the seat tube or the post, causing the freeze up. ti is pretty immune to corrosion of any sort. use a light layer of grease and you're good to go!
Actually ti is susceptible to galvanic corrosion, but this happens when metals with dissimilar potential are in contact. So no worries about ti seatpost in a ti frame.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM

I'm running a ti post in my Legend Ti without any problems...must be 5 or 6 years now. I do use anti-seize there but from my understanding, unit-seize is grease with metal particles. I would say, check it a few times a year and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM

I've had a Moots Ti post in a Moots Ti frame for a little over 10 years. I use copper antiseize everytime I remove it but never had an issue.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Because of galling or seizing or whatever the exact term, is it a dumb idea to install a titanium seatpost in a titanium frame?

I mean, normally, with an alloy seatpost in a titanium frame, I use copious amounts of Phil grease inside the seat tube and on the seatpost, and when I need to remove the post, all is good. And with a carbon seatpost in a titanium frame, I use that carbon paste, and again, removal is easy.

But if I were to install a ti seatpost in a ti frame, should I use lots of copper anti-seize? Or should I just skip the idea?

All real-life tales or expert insight with details appreciated here.

Dave, who is talking about a Chorus seatpost to be particular and who doesn't typically remove the seatpost every month or anything like that
See pic...about 5 years, use antisieze and I do take it out once per year and clean/reaaply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.2 KB, 588 views)
Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM

I've been using ti posts in ti bikes for years - anti-seize is your friend.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 PM

I don't use anti seize on my ti posts. Still no issues at all. Id say they are the easiest posts to remove from the frames (perhaps due to ti posts have higher quality control of diameters or because of material, dunno but my alu or carbon posts seem to take a lot more effort to remove).
Old 05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
That guy..

Once a year!?

I take my seatpost out once a month :P just to clean and re-apply anti seize
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Yes, anti-seize or grease is a really good idea for a ti seatpost. But you don't need it if the frame is also ti. It doesn't oxidize, and you can't have galvanic corrosion with ti on ti.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that several of the Ti bike makers, line their seat tubes with an inner plastic sleeve. I thought I read or heard that somewhere, but cannot verify. I own two Sevens and a Legend and have never had an issue. Like Peter, I remove, clean, and reinstall once per season.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 PM

Here's some advice from a guy who know a thing or two about titanium posts and frames...

General Discussion—ti post and ti frame—single post from this thread.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've left ti posts in ti frames for well over a year and never had an issue.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Here's some advice from a guy who know a thing or two about titanium posts and frames...

General Discussion—ti post and ti frame—single post from this thread.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've left ti posts in ti frames for well over a year and never had an issue.
Yup that's my scenario- Kent post in a moots frame for a year with only some light grease at initial install a year ago. Never removed, never cleaned or reapplied, never any slippage.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 AM

Just get a Seven, they use a composite liner to prevent this issue.

Tim