Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 06:01 PM

All I see are used car prices... Where are the car pics?

My TDI GSW 2015 was $11,000 post TDI scandal fix with 40,000mi on the ODO.. hahaha

I love the AC crew, and they price according to the demographic. Sausalito/Marin is the rare area where you'll see a Ferrari 250GTO or Enzo owner grabbing coffee.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=prototoast;3009953]What does being fast have to do with it? These bikes aren't about going fast, they're about looking good and savoring craftsmanship. The fastest guys in the state (Neilson Powless? Christopher Blevins? Justin Williams?) are all riding team bikes from their sponsors.

Above Category caters to bike aficionados who want something special, and might spend more on a bottle of wine than they do on their bicycle. But being fast is completely irrelevant.[/QUOTEt

This is cycling, speed is everything lol. I get your point, I really do, but people are lying if they say they don’t roll their eyes a bit when they see a slow, inexperienced rider who can barely clip in show up on a top end bike. As far as I can see it, it’s pretty much the emperor has no clothes at this point.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:45 PM

Different world people live in. When a 1 bed in SF cost $4k+ a month, a $21k bike all of the sudden doesn't seem that bad. Imagine someone working for google who's been taking stock option for the past few years. a junior software engineer was making equivalent of $300k+ a year so a $21 bike is nothing. SF is full of those affluent people.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post

This is cycling, speed is everything lol. I get your point, I really do, but people are lying if they say they don’t roll their eyes a bit when they see a slow, inexperienced rider who can barely clip in show up on a top end bike. As far as I can see it, it’s pretty much the emperor has no clothes at this point.
I come from the sport, but happen to be in the trade too - though more in the margins with each passing new trend - and my experience is in contrast to yours. Judging folks by what they roll on, and how they roll on it? That’s a foreign concept to me.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I come from the sport, but happen to be in the trade too - though more in the margins with each passing new trend - and my experience is in contrast to yours. Judging folks by what they roll on, and how they roll on it? That’s a foreign concept to me.
Oh, man, I’m not even going to touch this.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:07 PM

Are people really still surprised that some things cost more than others?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=chunkylover53;3009964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
What does being fast have to do with it? These bikes aren't about going fast, they're about looking good and savoring craftsmanship. The fastest guys in the state (Neilson Powless? Christopher Blevins? Justin Williams?) are all riding team bikes from their sponsors.

Above Category caters to bike aficionados who want something special, and might spend more on a bottle of wine than they do on their bicycle. But being fast is completely irrelevant.[/QUOTEt

Let’s be real here. Not totally out of the question, but a beginner cyclist will probably not going into AC and going through the process of ordering a custom bike.

Life is short, if I want to buy a nice bike to roll on, and enjoy, I don’t need a cat 1 license or to prove to anyone that I deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2021, 08:24 PM

The people buying bikes at this price point likely don't blink an eye at the register. They're probably wearing a watch worth as much or more than the bike they're buying. If they enjoy the ride the money was worth it.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:39 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
are you really still surprised that people find it interesting and remarkable when a thing is being sold for significantly more than the norm?

better get used to it my bruh - this is normal n aint changing
Old 11-12-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No way. Can't be true.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
are you really still surprised that people find it interesting and remarkable when a thing is being sold for significantly more than the norm?

Bruh,

Are bikes sold at Above Category the norm?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

AC has been in business for over a decade. It’s always been the most expensive shop in town.

Last edited by EB; 11-12-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:36 PM

Cycling has really lost the plot

When you can buy a brand new 2021 Honda 600RR ($11,899 Retail) for less than some pedal bicycles there is something seriously wrong & really the customers are to blame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-cbr600rr-grand_prix_red_tricolor-650x380.jpg (80.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:59 PM

i bet the margins on kids' bikes are better in % terms.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:17 AM
The B!

Quote:
Bruh,

Are bikes sold at Above Category the norm?
some people rarely see bikes this expensive and its interesting and evocative. pretending like everyone ought be used to or unimpressed by luxury bikes is a lil pretentious bruh

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods