Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Garmin 800 Cycle Touring

Found the Garmin 800 to be fantastic for cycle touring from Copenhagen to France, with no maps. I planned the routes before hand using Garmin Europe, loaded each day separately. Very rarely had a problem. When we changed the route, we could get back on or go directly to any location with the Garmin. It was handy to use hosts' computers to revise the route. Will take an ultranotebook next time. Even used it to find hotels.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Touring with Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbratina View Post
Found the Garmin 800 to be fantastic for cycle touring from Copenhagen to France, with no maps. I planned the routes before hand using Garmin Europe, loaded each day separately. Very rarely had a problem. When we changed the route, we could get back on or go directly to any location with the Garmin. It was handy to use hosts' computers to revise the route. Will take an ultranotebook next time. Even used it to find hotels.
I've also found the Garmin to work very well on our tours. Similar experience with finding lodging etc. I also pack a tiny Sony Viao to upload/download data.

The one wild goose chase we had was in Italy where one of the "roads" listed was actually an old Roman path complete with hand carved steps down a treacherous escarpment but it did in fact lead us to where we were going.

Pretty fun but a sense of adventure helps when the path gets strange....We had a paper map as well and knew we were off it's suggested course but thought what the heck, it's heading us in the same general direction so we went for it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Epic=No Smiles

For me, 25-50% of the enjoyment is TCI and Michelin maps.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Garmin 800 Cycle Touring

It would be nice in heavy traffic if the turn beep distinguished between left and right.