Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 PM

Show me your gravelbikes....inspire me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay View Post
Following a recent conversation with @sparky33, I thought I should post an updated photo of my well-used steed, which made an appearance much earlier in this thread. It was prototype #1 of Seven's Evergreen model and, given that they hadn't come up with the name at that point, it proclaims itself to be an Axiom. What's in a name?

It's wearing 650B x 48 Switchback Hills in this photo, which I've nicknamed The Irresponsibles, because they encourage you to do things you probably shouldn't!

-- John

Did you wear out all the original components already? It's showing real personality now.

Switchbacks look just right here, and its a great example of fitting a very large tire on a ti frame with road cranks. How long are the chainstays?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 12-05-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay View Post
Following a recent conversation with @sparky33, I thought I should post an updated photo of my well-used steed, which made an appearance much earlier in this thread. It was prototype #1 of Seven's Evergreen model and, given that they hadn't come up with the name at that point, it proclaims itself to be an Axiom. What's in a name?

It's wearing 650B x 48 Switchback Hills in this photo, which I've nicknamed The Irresponsibles, because they encourage you to do things you probably shouldn't!

-- John

whoa!
Sorry Jos, your picture gonna be replaced by this new wallpaper!

I just got an update from Harris Cyclery that the Switchback hills tires I ordered over the holidays are being shipped out priority mail today so I should be getting them as early as Wednesday possibly. I can't wait to put them on my long haul trucker, it won't look nearly as nice as John pal's SEVEN but at least I am hoping it will encourage me to be a bit more brave riding on the trails. when it comes to taking risks on the bike, I am truly a Nancy.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

woah, that 7 is hella cool
Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Did you wear out all the original components already? It's showing real personality now.
The original components were the result of sponsorship and didn't belong to me. What you see here now are my own eclectic choices. ;-)

Quote:
Switchbacks look just right here, and its a great example of fitting a very large tire on a ti frame with road cranks. How long are the chainstays?
The Switchbacks work very nicely on this bike, alright. The chainstays are a nominal 43.6cm, but that is to the centre of the eccentric shell. If I were to rotate the eccentric to the rear of the shell (just for the sake of argument), the effective chainstay length, in terms of where tubes are joined etc., would be 43cm exactly. It would be hard to go significantly shorter if you want to be able to use mudguards/fenders over them and have a slack seat angle. I use a relatively steep seat angle (73.5°) and there's not a lot of room to play with betwixt seat tube and fender.

At the time I spec'd the frame, all I could really ask for was "clearance for the fattest 650Bs you can squeeze between road cranks, with reasonable chainstay length." The Switchback Hills and other recently available choices weren't around to use for testing clearance, so I'm delighted with the way the combination has work out. That said, with the 46x32 crank pictured here, there is definitely room to either increase tyre clearance or shorten the 'stays.

-- John

P.S. Speaking of the crank, I love the concept and execution of the Sugino OX901 crank itself. Sugino's outer chainring sucks to high heaven, though - literally. I experienced the worst chainsuck ever using the rings that came with it, to the extent that I destroyed a Shimano CX70 front mech. because of it. Replacing the outer with a TA ring completely solved the problem, however.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 PM

Snapped a quick shot after Sunday's ride; love this bike!

Old 12-14-2016, 12:45 AM

my steel quiring cycles gravel bike.

built to clear 40c nanos, i found that it could also clear the 47c horizon 27.5 tires.

running 42t wolftooth dropstop ring on hollowgrams, hydro di2 with a xtr rear derailleur and a x01 10-42 cassette.

fork is a trp with 15mm thru axle. wheels are sram rise 60 carbon....enve and king parts to finish off the build.

great bike built by a great guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4090.jpg (107.8 KB, 885 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4092.jpg (106.6 KB, 705 views)

Last edited by kam; 12-14-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
woah, that 7 is hella cool
yes, that seven is one of the coolest bikes ive seen around here, so much useful
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam View Post
my steel quiring cycles gravel bike.

built to clear 40c nanos, i found that it could also clear the 47c horizon 27.5 tires.

running 42t wolftooth dropstop ring on hollowgrams, hydro di2 with a xtr rear derailleur and a x01 10-42 cassette.

fork is a trp with 15mm thru axle. wheels are sram risw 60 carbon....enve and king parts to finish off the build.

great bike build bike a great guy!
cool build, love the pink accents, and those wheels mean business!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 PM

[IMG]gravel climbing by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM

I haven't participated here much but have been over at V-Salon for quite some time. Here's my most recent build. 650b disc all-road. Wheels are WTB KOMs laced to DT 350s by Jude at Sugar Wheelworks. I'm really digging this thing so far! Full build album here.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Really enjoyed seeing those lovely gravel bikes pals have...it would be even more lovely if folks can mention the wheels/tires their rigs are on....
Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Administrator

i am going to have an very very awesome contribution for this page shortly. just waiting on a couple little parts....
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Can't wait angry pal!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 PM

Show me your gravelbikes....inspire me.

I've lusted over the disc gravel bikes on this thread over and over, but each and every time I throw my leg over my Cannondale CX9 I decide against it. I'm sure I'll upgrade at some stage but the CX9 works well enough in her current form. Found some "nearly new" Red 22 shifters online and added a new chain, cassette and WiFli rear mech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk