Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Lezyne Micro GPS

Anyone here try the Lezyne Micro GPS?
http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-mi...p#.WHptTbFh3Nw
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Nobody?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Somebody is way into these...can't recall who. Maybe bobswire?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM

I have an older Super GPS that I like alot. Compared to a Garmin 810 I like the Lezyne better with the exception that it currently can't do maps. I haven't plugged into a computer in the last 6 months so an update may take care of that. Or may not. I'll probably get another Lezyne in the next 3-4 months to replace the 810.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM

I've since decided to (eventually) get a Garmin 820 as I want the mapping (I don't carry a smartphone when I ride). I'll probably pick one up next month.

Any comments on the Garmin Edge 820?
(I've found a good review at: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/...-edge-820.html)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

you should also consider the new wahoo bolt, seems like a nice 820 competitor
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

I have looked at the bolt in the past, but it I thought that it was more like a 520 competitor (I'll take another look though).
The wahoo does have the "aero advantage" — that is until you put a rider on the bike, then it looses that advantage
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
The wahoo does have the "aero advantage" — that is until you put a rider on the bike, then it looses that advantage
I was giggling a couple weeks back about how the Bar Fly out-front Garmin mount brags that it saves 8 seconds in a 40km TT, over the comparable Garmin-branded mount. ok then.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Retired!

Quote:
I've since decided to (eventually) get a Garmin 820 as I want the mapping (I don't carry a smartphone when I ride). I'll probably pick one up next month.

(I've found a good review at: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/...-edge-820.html)
I've been a loyal Garmin user for years beginning in 2006 with an Edge 305. I've since acquired an Edge 705, Forerunner 235, Approach S6 and now an 820. All of those devices serve me well with the exception of the 820. My Edge 705 is a much better unit for stability (not freezing up and dumping data as my 820 routinely does) and accuracy. When I ride the trails the 705's receiver is considerably better at keeping a signal. There's a 10 mile wooded section where my 820 consistently shorts me over a mile worth of distance when compared to my 705. I've used them side by side many times and it's always the same disparity.

I'm on my 2nd 820 and am really growing tired of its issues. I can't recommend this unit at all.

Kevin g
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Retired!

Here's a review that may be of interest to those considering a Garmin 820. He talks about (and shows in a video) the problems with the touch screen and how it's very slow to respond -- if at all. I've experienced all of this many times. Also, just trying to get the unit to shut down can be more than a little frustrating as shown in the video. And speaking of shutting down -- my 820 has recently begun to shut down on its own in the middle of a ride for no reason whatsoever. I may have to reformat the unit and start from scratch to see if that helps.

Again, my 8 year old 705 is a superior unit in terms of accuracy and reliability. I never expected that to be the case when I decided to upgrade to what I thought would be a superior unit.

Kevin g
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I like mine, but I would seriously look at the Wahoo if I was buying today.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I like mine, but I would seriously look at the Wahoo if I was buying today.
I have an Elemnt. It's much more user friendly than the 800 it replaced, but mapping on the 800 was much better. Elemnt can't zoom out much, no street names, and can't re-position the map to see where that mysterious road might take you. If you want to explore unknown roads or trails, I'd pick a Garmin. If you want convenient and easy setup and integration with visual display for workouts, the Wahoo is a good option.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Administrator

This guy does some in-depth reviews and here is one on "a" Lezyne GPS, not sure if this is the one you are looking at...
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/...-computer.html
Old 03-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I have an Elemnt. It's much more user friendly than the 800 it replaced, but mapping on the 800 was much better. Elemnt can't zoom out much, no street names, and can't re-position the map to see where that mysterious road might take you. If you want to explore unknown roads or trails, I'd pick a Garmin. If you want convenient and easy setup and integration with visual display for workouts, the Wahoo is a good option.
Yeah, that's the reason I'm considering the 820. I carry an old flip phone when I ride, so no smartphone mapping options.
For the past few years I've used a Garmin eTrex 20 attached to the top-tube, which works quite well, but I was looking into something smaller.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Somebody is way into these...can't recall who. Maybe bobswire?
It's probably me. I'm a big advocate of their computers any time GPS stuff comes up.

I have one of last year's computers (their year9 stuff), and we've done a good few of their new year10 stuff, which are moderate to major improvements over the year9 stuff which I already liked.

The 10 stuff compared to the 9 has a few more features that solve the small gripes I have with the year nine stuff - namely an ability to change major settings while recording a ride.