Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Damaged frame

I did some checking and I found a fee things that did not seem right so I took the frame to my local bike shop. The fame alignment tool shows it out by 10mm. Appears one of the seat stays is bent.

My guess is the frame was good until FedEx got it, but the poor packing , with "normal" handling did not arrive in good shape

I think the seller will return my funds

Ray
Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 PM

The seller might not voluntarily refund the money but if you photograph the way it shipped and have a shop verifying issues then paypal should get you your money back no problem.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:26 PM

Update

The last email from the seller indicated he would
I have pics

Ray
Old 04-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I did some checking and I found a fee things that did not seem right so I took the frame to my local bike shop. The fame alignment tool shows it out by 10mm. Appears one of the seat stays is bent.

My guess is the frame was good until FedEx got it, but the poor packing , with "normal" handling did not arrive in good shape

I think the seller will return my funds

Ray
It just occurred to me after reading threads like this that people who sell and ship bike stuff sure can get complacent. I don't want to place all the blame/ responsibility on them even though they own it. I have to say though whether it be wheels, frames or complete bikes it's amazing how these things can take such abuse at what they are made to do thru intended use, if well made and not abused. However when not shipped right they can get very easily damaged and they are really kinda expensive.

Unrelated to this I just recently badly warped a Mavic Open pro wheel with minimal use over a four year period and I only weigh 170. The wheel has a 36 spoke count, nothing special but it was said to me that it was a very stout, bullet proof build that should've been able to handle me jumping off curbs. All it took was a two inch bunnyhop and some ****ty road to cripple it and now it's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks to replace. Ironic that bike parts are expensive and easy to break just say'in.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
It just occurred to me after reading threads like this that people who sell and ship bike stuff sure can get complacent. I don't want to place all the blame/ responsibility on them even though they own it. I have to say though whether it be wheels, frames or complete bikes it's amazing how these things can take such abuse at what they are made to do thru intended use, if well made and not abused. However when not shipped right they can get very easily damaged and they are really kinda expensive.

Unrelated to this I just recently badly warped a Mavic Open pro wheel with minimal use over a four year period and I only weigh 170. The wheel has a 36 spoke count, nothing special but it was said to me that it was a very stout, bullet proof build that should've been able to handle me jumping off curbs. All it took was a two inch bunnyhop and some ****ty road to cripple it and now it's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks to replace. Ironic that bike parts are expensive and easy to break just say'in.
I have weighed as much as 215 lbs. and ridden Open Pro 32 hole wheels on Campy and Shimano hubs on/off road and never had to true them after the original build so I would guess that your wheel might not have been properly built.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I have weighed as much as 215 lbs. and ridden Open Pro 32 hole wheels on Campy and Shimano hubs on/off road and never had to true them after the original build so I would guess that your wheel might not have been properly built.
Yeah man I'm totally with you. That wheel always had a slight out of trueness and this after I took it to a lbs, got a good deal on them built up with dt spokes and 105 hubs. However they were already built by god know who or what,lol. The kid at the lbs only charged me like 30$ to look them over, someone on this site said that was a good idea to do which I don't doubt. At the time I was happy to pay the price but I would have paid twice as much if it meant this not happening at all. I don't know really why it happened but it's a really nasty s pattern that has the wheel stopping short as it hits either side brake pads and this with brakes slackened for easy wheel removal. I'm disappointed but I can see how maybe if at the right position just the right force could throw it all out of whack. I mean I wasn't riding the bike in a bad way at all.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:50 PM

I think the seller set himself up in a bad way. Not saying you did, however because of this sellers poor packing job (sure you have pictures) it will be hard to prove that you didn't screw the frame up and had it verified by your LBS so as to win this case.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I think the seller set himself up in a bad way. Not saying you did, however because of this sellers poor packing job (sure you have pictures) it will be hard to prove that you didn't screw the frame up and had it verified by your LBS so as to win this case.
I reported the "poor packing" upon receipt and engaged the seller. The seller insisted on me getting the frame checked (emails), I had it checked, took plenty of pics. Seller agreed to a refund, all good ☺☺
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 AM

That's good news! You would have been in a good position for a dispute anyway BUT having the seller agree is just so much easier. Are they covering the shipping back?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
That's good news! You would have been in a good position for a dispute anyway BUT having the seller agree is just so much easier. Are they covering the shipping back?
Totally, way easier. I've never used a "shipper", I've had a few things packed but generally do that myself, that way I know how it was packed. Not sure how much was paid, but the packing was inadequate given how packages are handled, the likely hood of no damage give the pack job was,IMHO, Zero.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 PM
v a n i l l a

Glad that worked out economically but sorry you did not get the frame that you had wanted. being that close and then being sunk due to packing is really lousy.

my earlier comment about frame value was to possible correlate the sellers care in packing. for instance would he have shipped a C60 that way?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 PM

What would he do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Glad that worked out economically but sorry you did not get the frame that you had wanted. being that close and then being sunk due to packing is really lousy.

my earlier comment about frame value was to possible correlate the sellers care in packing. for instance would he have shipped a C60 that way?
So he said it was packed by a shipper so who the heck knows if a C60 would get packed that way. This Nago is a very nice Dream with Arte Decor and a bit unusual. Anyway not gonna be
Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
seriously, i keep coming back for pictures...
this^

Frames can almost be shipped in a double wheel box i've even shipped them in child carrier boxes with plenty of room to spare. File a claim.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
this^

Frames can almost be shipped in a double wheel box i've even shipped them in child carrier boxes with plenty of room to spare. File a claim.
I've got the. Don't know how to post them and I don't use hosting services. If you want ,PM me with your email and I will sent you one

Just to make sure you are clear, th frame had a small area, basically the triangle covered with cardboard. The headtube, BB, rear triangle was cover with one layer of small bubble wrap. I've gotten wheels that were wrapped with bubble wrap then encased in a large box that was tapped down, that at least covers the entire item. Anyway deal is done