Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 PM

wheel advice

the question is how light can i build a set of 32 hole wheels without getting into silly compromises in strength or ride quality? hubs are dt 240s for standard road qr. 32 hole

i was holding out for the exaliths, but after riding my enves for a bit now, i'm unsure i want all that braking noise that comes with textured brake tracks. i've gone thru a couple theoretical builds with online configurators, but it's tedious and they don't have all the rims available on the market anyway.

fwiw, my next build would probably be for my wife's bike, so no need for clydesdale strength. looking for lightweight and highly responsive, minimal wind up. doesn't have to be super wide, but would like something more contemporary than the rr1.1 on there now. clincher only.

tia
Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM
ergottWheels

Nevermind, not 32.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
the question is how light can i build a set of 32 hole wheels without getting into silly compromises in strength or ride quality? hubs are dt 240s for standard road qr. 32 hole

i was holding out for the exaliths, but after riding my enves for a bit now, i'm unsure i want all that braking noise that comes with textured brake tracks. i've gone thru a couple theoretical builds with online configurators, but it's tedious and they don't have all the rims available on the market anyway.

fwiw, my next build would probably be for my wife's bike, so no need for clydesdale strength. looking for lightweight and highly responsive, minimal wind up. doesn't have to be super wide, but would like something more contemporary than the rr1.1 on there now. clincher only.

tia
Wife? DT411, OC rear...with the goofy squorx nipples and rim washers but they build well. Depending on her weight and her cycling 'technique', Sapim Race all around. 3cross.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:37 PM
ergottWheels

I've built up the Altamont Lite and the Pacenti Forza and both are nice options. The Altamont is a consistent 442g so it's the lighter option. The Forza is available in offset rear so it's a stronger rear wheel.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Wife? DT411, OC rear...with the goofy squorx nipples and rim washers but they build well. Depending on her weight and her cycling 'technique', Sapim Race all around. 3cross.
DT website says only 20-28. Is there a 32 version? That was my first recommendation until I checked.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM

For weight and price I was going to suggest Sapim Race with Kinlin XR200. Get the black rim for the contemporary look
Old 04-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
DT website says only 20-28. Is there a 32 version? That was my first recommendation until I checked.
Rear has a 32, front is 28, no 32...that's a shame.

Then I'd say either DT440 or Velocity A23.