Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 PM

The game is the game.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 PM
aka mbrt

Every day is important whether you are aware of it or not...AND.... Love your neighbor as you love yourself!

Ray
Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 PM

Best thing about no longer being in the corporate world is not having to listen to horsesh*t like mission statements and whatever this year's jargon is. So no, no personal mission statement for me.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM

"You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family."
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Riding Along

I have a family rule that I teach my kids: Never give up.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM

We have a company mission statement, and I do remember enjoying the process in developing it.
I don't have one for my personal life. I think instead it's principles that I've used to guide what and why I do it over the past 40 years. That just about marks the point when I decided to try and live a "principled' life. Perhaps they've evolved some, but it's probably more that i've just come to see them more clearly and they're affect on me and the resultant affect upon others.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

This would be a good place for me to recommend one of my favorite books:

Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Rollin' just to keep on rollin'..

It's from a Mark Lanegan song and has a bit of a zen vibe to it for me...fits as a good mantra for long climbs and headwinds too...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
This would be a good place for me to recommend one of my favorite books:

Thank you...... another friend has recommended this. I've been meaning to read it for a while now but this will light a fire under me.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 PM

don't always go with the 'safe' option...

take some risks in life.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:44 PM

an entire profession grew up about 20 years ago = life coaching

= not therapy, but working regularly with a person certified to help you keep your eye on the ball. not "the ball" but YOUR ball. what do you want for your limited time in this time zone? gonna stay focused? how you gonna stay focused? if not on your own, then maybe a coach is the ticket. half an hour, once a week...on the phone.

"We help people move forward and set personal and professional goals that will give them the life they really want. Most life coaching clients are healthy, successful people who might be a bit stuck or simply want to make a big change in their lives and want the support of their own personal coach to do so."

Last edited by eddief; 04-23-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:54 PM

I dunno. I may be an asshole on the forum, but my whole life and (second) career are dedicated to helping the poor, the homeless, and victims of domestic violence and abuse. mostly kids, or at least, thats where we see the biggest impact.
I eschewed a career in entertainment that could have been pretty lucrative for this life. I started that and gave it up after a few years, doing PR and marketing and doing it pretty well.

Now, I work hard I guess, but often times it doesn't feel like it.

I don't really know how or why I got into this work, honestly. Everyone has some "mission moment" I never had. I just grew up thinking that people had to be helped, and it was something I could do, and do well, and kind of always knew I'd get there.. I cant imagine ever helping to make someone else rich. Thats impossible for me. Even when I was in Ent it was mostly self-employment or a small firm.

There never was a mission statement for me, never was some sanctimonious proclamation. My parents were working poor and divorced when I was 12, but I didn't have a bad or truly hard life.
I dunno. despite all that. no mission statement. I just want to be a good dad and good at helping people.

and an asshole on the forum.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM

dude, the best mission statement ever. own it.

"I may be an asshole on the forum, but my whole life and career are dedicated to helping the poor, the homeless, and victims of domestic violence and abuse. mostly kids, or at least, thats where we see the biggest impact."

benevolent assholes are hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I dunno. I may be an asshole on the forum, but my whole life and (second) career are dedicated to helping the poor, the homeless, and victims of domestic violence and abuse. mostly kids, or at least, thats where we see the biggest impact.
I eschewed a career in entertainment that could have been pretty lucrative for this life. I started that and gave it up after a few years, doing PR and marketing and doing it pretty well.

I don't really know how or why I got into this work, honestly. Everyone has some "mission moment" I never had. I just grew up thinking that people had to be helped, and it was something I could do, and do well, and kind of always knew I'd get there.. I cant imagine ever helping to make someone else rich. Thats impossible for me. Even when I was in Ent it was mostly self-employment or a small firm.

There never was a mission statement for me, never was some sanctimonious proclamation. My parents were working poor and divorced when I was 12, but I didn't have a bad or truly hard life.
I dunno. despite all that. no mission statement. I just want to be a good dad and good at helping people.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
"I may be an asshole on the forum, but my whole life and career are dedicated to helping the poor, the homeless, and victims of domestic violence and abuse. mostly kids, or at least, thats where we see the biggest impact."

benevolent assholes are hard to find.
Well we do what we can, you ****ing dickhead.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post

Thank you.... you might be an asshole on the forum but this is a great post.