Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 PM

How do you choose?

Once you have built up a nice stable of bicycles, how does one choose which to take on any given day? Oh the problems! way better than discussing politics... at least there's an answer here.

do you have a system?

algorithm?

matchy matchy?

bikes to fit the conditions?

Today its windy and it may rain or it may be 70 degrees. who knows? which horse out of the stable?
[IMG]Choices by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

i let the hen pick. she choose the blue bike. good choice in the wind with lower profile wheels and wider tires.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Eeny meeny miny moe ......

But that's only two bikes?

One always calls out to me louder than the others.

That blue is just so right.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Eeny meeny miny moe ......

But that's only two bikes?

One always calls out to me louder than the others.

That blue is just so right.
At the moment i have one other choice, but im tired of fenders, so at least i made it this far!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Is that a real chicken?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:53 PM
ZhugeLiang

The secret is to make sure you don't duplicate and there are enough of a distinction between them to warrant the occasion. Some pals have racing bike #1, racing bike #2, racing bike #3....nuthin' wrong with that if that's what float your boat.

Here's the way I differentiate...

Classic steel bike #1 (Rivendell) - 32mm Compass tires, all-day comfort, relatively bad roads

Classic steel bike #2 (Eddy Merckx Corsa Xtra)- stage racer geometry, hot sexy red, bring to group ride where 99% of folks show up on their 5k carbon bikes, let them know who's boss , bears the name of god on the downtube

Classic steel bike #3 (Richard Sachs) - S&S coupled - travel or bring bike on trips, Eroica/PBP

Custom steel bike #4 - Ritchey Breakaway coupling - travel/carry bike on plane, meet airline restrictions, can fit 35mm tires, D2R2 bike

Multipurpose steel bike #5 (Surly Trucker) - platform flat pedals, saddle almost level with handlebar, big fatty 48mm Switch Back Hills compass tires, do-it-all, can serve gravel duty or just neighborhood bike

Titanium gravel bike (Merlin) - full fenders, triple crank, can fit 32mm file thread slicks or 42mm knobby, bad weather bike, has a rear pannier rack, light-duty/credit card touring

Carbon road bike (Cyfac) - absolutely must have the latest and the greatest but doesn't seem to make me any faster, I am no retro-grouch

There are others....but you get the idea. Buy/Build/Ride with Purpose.

Last edited by weisan; 04-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
At the moment i have one other choice, but im tired of fenders, so at least i made it this far!
Hey, nice bikes for sure! Is your other choice a maroon Jeff Lyon L'avecaise? That's three beautiful bikes. Congrats!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:13 PM

One has a compact, one has a standard.

The route helps dictate what I'm going to ride, along with the weather. Ones the nice day bike, the other can get disgusting.

And sometimes it's just mood.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 PM

I have three really nice bikes. I usually ride one day, the second the next, the third the following. Once in a while I will get the itch to ride one a few times in a row but usually just swap them out one after the other. Keeps the drivetrain wear, etc. about equal.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
The secret is to make sure you don't duplicate and there are enough of a distinction between them to warrant the occasion.
I think this is key. I currently have 3 "race" bikes that are essentially the same bike but for frame material. I'm thinking that's two too many; one of each style that you "need"/use. 1st world problem for sure but there's a feeling tugging at me that not having to decide and just going with one would be better (NB- there's still the rain/rando and the travel and the 29er so ...).
Old 04-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Once you have built up a nice stable of bicycles, how does one choose which to take on any given day? Oh the problems! way better than discussing politics... at least there's an answer here.

do you have a system?

algorithm?

matchy matchy?

bikes to fit the conditions?

Today its windy and it may rain or it may be 70 degrees. who knows? which horse out of the stable?
[IMG]Choices by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

i let the hen pick. she choose the blue bike. good choice in the wind with lower profile wheels and wider tires.
In your case either is fine and neither sht like a stable steed.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:43 PM

I have narrowed it down to two race bikes and a gravel bike. One titanium for when the weather may turn the others are steel. I found that when I have 5 or more high end bikes at least two don't end up getting ridden.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:08 PM

I take the clean one
Old 04-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Tires.

Why change tires when you can change wheels.
Why change wheels when you can change bikes.

Kidding aside. As I ride every surface I can and preferably most or all in the same ride when possible. For road, dirt, mountain and snow, I really have slotted most of my bikes based on tire size and tread purpose at this point.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
One has a compact, one has a standard.

The route helps dictate what I'm going to ride, along with the weather. Ones the nice day bike, the other can get disgusting.

And sometimes it's just mood.
Yep - it's 1) gearing best suited to the ride, and then 2) mood. No fuss, no muss.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Is that a real chicken?
Yes, thats one of my silly flock of birds!
I love the answers
here's my bikes by tire clearance

Zanconato: race bike, fits 25mm tires, 52-36 subcompact crank, stiff as, long and low, nice day bike, hammerfest bike.

Goodrich: steel roadie, blue, fits 30mm tires, 53-38 crank, performance oriented but more comfy all day then the Zanc (maybe its the wider tires), and blue!

Lavecaise: all road, fits 35mm tires, 50-34 compact crank, steel fork, fendered, pump peg, gravel ready, no computer.

Berthoud: out of commission for now, future town bike with flat peals

the weather here has really been bad, so its been a lot of the Lavecaise and lately the Goodrich when i can.