Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 AM

Downtube Shifters

Recently got a Serotta Atlanta from a forum member (thanks kobetsang!), that doesn't have any bosses for downtube shifters. I'd like to convert it, so was wondering if anyone had any experiences or opinions on using the clamp-on ones temporarly. Was thinking about these:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=771

Ultimately would like to get some brazed on and repaint, but plan on riding it thru the rest of the season. It's a great ride, and don't want to mess it up.
-- Dan
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
It's a great ride, and don't want to mess it up.
-- Dan
^^^^Do this.^^^^^^

Quote:
Ultimately would like to get some brazed on and repaint
-- Dan
^^^^^This is a bad idea. ^^^^^^^
Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Administrator

i am using that very clamp on my Bridgestone drop bar conversion. works great!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM

That problem solver mount just looks so much like an after thought. Ugly. I'd just pick up an old set of DT shifters and use the band clamp with your shifter. That's assuming you can find one to work with your shifters. I feel it just lends a much cleaner look, IMHO.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'd just pick up an old set of DT shifters and use the band clamp with your shifter...
Second on that.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

"I feel it just lends a much cleaner look, IMHO."

Completely agree.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Shimano clamps for index shifters are out there. I see NOS 105 and Sante on ebay, and used Light Action. Pretty sure the clamps supplied with them will take any index era Shimano shifter. The Problem Solvers clamp says S9/S10 but I'm wondering if it would work with Campagnolo. I'm pretty sure the Shimano clamps will only work with their shifters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Shimano-...wAAOSwjDZYk5G5
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i am using that very clamp on my Bridgestone drop bar conversion. works great!

Love it!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 PM

Dude on eBay sells old Huret shifter clamps for either Campy or Shimano. I've used both, they look right, work right and don't cost much.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Hey, everybody, thanks for all of the ideas and comments. I'll start fishing around for an old Shimano clamp, unless someone is eager to sell one. A friend has a problem solvers clamp that he is willing to lend me, hence that direction.
-- Dan
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, everybody, thanks for all of the ideas and comments. I'll start fishing around for an old Shimano clamp, ...-- Dan
What diameter is Atlanta down-tube? Most "standard" band clamps were for 28.6mm/1-1/8inch diameter. If the Atlanta is 31.8/1-1/4, the Problem Solvers or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOSE-RACING...-/152500879533

Tom
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 AM

I think the shifters on the bike above look "different" because they look to be mounted higher on the downtube than what is considered "normal". That and the bike is on the smaller side. On a larger framed bike with the shifters slid down a bit I bet all these different shifters would look fine.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM

I like bar con shifters better than DT- with good quality slick modern cables and housing the old arguments against longer cables/slower shifting no longer really apply, plus you can completely bury the cable under the bar tape to emerge at the stem for a clean look. I don't see the point in trying to retrofit DT shifters with an ugly clamp as a design "feature" on an otherwise nice frame, there's better options to avoid brifters (and I do see the point in avoiding brifters sometimes).
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM

I'm over bar ends myself. Work great and all but downtube shifters are just so much cleaner and indestructible. As a friend says "as long as you don't mind reaching.....". I'm itching to try some Paul Thumbies which is another option you may want to consider.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I like bar con shifters better than DT- with good quality slick modern cables and housing the old arguments against longer cables/slower shifting no longer really apply, plus you can completely bury the cable under the bar tape to emerge at the stem for a clean look. I don't see the point in trying to retrofit DT shifters with an ugly clamp as a design "feature" on an otherwise nice frame, there's better options to avoid brifters (and I do see the point in avoiding brifters sometimes).

I'm a fan of bar cons too, and run the cables under the bar tape. They work great on my gravel/touring bike that has V brakes and Tektro V brake levers, and mountain bike components. I never liked downtube shifters. I never liked having to remove one hand from the bars to shift and trim the front derailleur.