Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I am in your camp, and could care less if someone or some business wants to see what I see. BFD.

If you are keeping Chrome updated, and it mostly does so automatically, then you need not worry about Flash malware because Chrome blocks it automatically.
It is a BFD if you ever use a credit card over the Internet as the new bill loosens the requirements for ISP's to take reasonable measures to protect this information.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:03 PM

No BFD. HTTPS protects credit card info, and probably anything else that is personal and/or important. Don't read further into this "selling info" thing than is there.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM

HTTPS invulnerability? HA HA. If you think your data is harmless because you are only visiting "safe" sites and not using Google Search for anything you are naive. Perhaps it is no BFD to you, but there are plenty of people for who it is a BFD.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I use Malwarebytes on all our computers. I've got a teenage boy with a laptop in his room and it has yet to be infected, so there you go. They have a free version that you can run one time to see how it works.
I've good success with Malwarebytes too for removing the junk on an infected computer.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

I've been using NoScript which blocks javascript from websites automatically when you intentionally go or are redirected to another site. It's kind of a pain in the @$$ when you're trying to get a streamed site to load or if you're trying to order online from a 'new' vendor's website as you have to manually go thru and choose which sites are allowed to load on your screen. You do have the option to allow permanently, allow once or block. Over time, I've learned which common sites I need to allow to remain blocked.

I do believe, tho, that this little free program has protected me on numerous occasions. Now this was on my old XP machine running Firefox. No idea how or if it works with newer OS's or other browsers. I've also been running Comodo A/V-firewall for several years with good success. It scans every morning around 3 am. Also use Spyware Blaster which maintains a list of common 'bad sites' and blocks them quietly in the background.

Mike in AR
Old 04-22-2017, 04:56 PM

uBlock Origin is a nice open source extension for content filtering and ad blocking. It runs really well on Firefox, Chrome and Opera. It is also available for other browsers, but I am not sure if it is as affective.