Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 AM

So this raises a good question. What is a good suggested test writing protocol? After 45 years of skiing, I certainly know what to look for and how to test a pair skis to fit exactly what I want. As a new rider how would you suggest evaluating a bike to feel what I'm supposed to be feeling appreciate the differences among frames?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:51 AM

same wheels and same route to start
Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
So this raises a good question. What is a good suggested test writing protocol? After 45 years of skiing, I certainly know what to look for and how to test a pair skis to fit exactly what I want. As a new rider how would you suggest evaluating a bike to feel what I'm supposed to be feeling appreciate the differences among frames?
you're right, it's not as straightforward as one would think. i think after a lot of saddle time you get more sensitive to the inputs that make up ride quality. deciding whether a bike "speaks to you" can take some time. most bikes feel fine, especially if you're feeling strong and in a good mood.
I've found the best way to gauge a bike is when I am not feeling great. as every commuter knows, sometimes the last thing you want to do is to hop on the bike for that ride home after a long day. but on the bike's I've kept, I am immediately reminded of why I love cycling so much. there is a combination of spring and smoothness that just feels so great. on bikes that were not a good fit for me (stiffness/geometry), or set up wrong, the bike does nothing to inspire me, and it just feels like a grind.
as for carbon, I've always found it to be a more muted ride, but I agree that it can be fantastic. I had a carbon landshark that was just wonderful - light, smooth and springy. if the headset wasn't too tall, it would have been a keeper.
lastly, i will add that the "light" feel can be had on a frame of any material with lightweight carbon wheel tubulars.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:39 PM

I'm finding reach and balance interesting me a lot right now - the difference between longer w less drop and shorter w more drop, and then how the balance feels in and out of the saddle from there. That, plus whether my hands can adapt to 26.0 bars and Campy 10 hoods vs 31.8 and Campy 11. It's lots of fun trying the permutations, with no "right" answer - just personal preference to suss out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 PM

Once again, I thank you for the wealth of experience and knowledge shared here.

I write the following fully aware that posting these links may cost me the frame (if it's a good one), but I figure that even if that happens I can learn something from you, and that nice frames will come around again someday.

Three options on the table tonight:

1. Buy a superbike frame from a forumite. This individual has made an amazingly generous offer on a bike way beyond anything I've ever imagined. I'm sure it's incredible, but it's more than I ought to be spending (even though it is a fantastic forum deal).

2. Buy this frame. Cracked steerer, but it appears to leave plenty of usable steerer underneath, if that is how carbon steerers work . . .

3. Buy the 585 listed on our own classifieds, even though it's smaller than the bikes I typically ride. Every bike I've ever ridden has been a solid 54-56.

I can already feel that option #3 is not the right answer. I guess my biggest question is how sketchy you would feel about the ebay bike. No go? Red flag?

Thanks again,

exapkib

Last edited by exapkib; 04-24-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 PM

Plenty of non-cracked steerers out there on great bikes. How much do you want to see your orthopedist?

I'd avoid it like the plague.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Once again, I thank you for the wealth of experience and knowledge shared here.

I write the following fully aware that posting these links may cost me the frame (if it's a good one), but I figure that even if that happens I can learn something from you, and that nice frames will come around again someday.

Three options on the table tonight:

1. Buy a superbike frame from a forumite. This individual has made an amazingly generous offer on a bike way beyond anything I've ever imagined. I'm sure it's incredible, but it's more than I ought to be spending (even though it is a fantastic forum deal).

2. Buy this frame. Cracked steerer, but it appears to leave plenty of usable steerer underneath, if that is how carbon steerers work . . .

3. Buy the 585 listed on our own classifieds, even though it's smaller than the bikes I typically ride. Every bike I've ever ridden has been a solid 54-56.

I can already feel that option #3 is not the right answer. I guess my biggest question is how sketchy you would feel about the ebay bike. No go? Red flag?

Thanks again,

exapkib
#1 is the right answer if it speaks to you - otherwise sit tight and keep refreshing the classifieds and craigslist - something good is always around the corner - no reason to settle.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM

cracked steerer?

the Look with Reynolds fork makes me wonder. Didn't it come as a frameset originally? What happened to the original fork? Usually first to go in an incident. Be extra careful buying carbon from old men on ebay.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM

I've decided to hold off on everything for now. While I may try a carbon frame somewhere down the road, for right now I need to be focusing on family, writing and (of course) riding.

I learned a lot from your comments, and I'm sure I'll come back to this thread in the future. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Total Fred

Sometimes just talking about the itch is enough to scratch it...and this forum is a great place for that.

I find that the best time of year to shop for used high end gear is December through February. Demand is lowest as people are spending money on the holidays and paying off credit card bills afterwards. Common scenario is someone who spent way too much on something nice that gathers dust, then sells it after Christmas to free up some cash. Here in Seattle, I can find great local CL deals into April as it is still rainy season. Demand bumps up after tax day as people start spending their refund money and weather warms up.

As a recovering bike hoarder, I commend you for your sensibility.

Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I've decided to hold off on everything for now. While I may try a carbon frame somewhere down the road, for right now I need to be focusing on family, writing and (of course) riding.

I learned a lot from your comments, and I'm sure I'll come back to this thread in the future. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
As a recovering bike hoarder, I commend you for your sensibility.

Tai

Any interest in being my sponsor?

Forum Quote du Jour:

"It's just a bike. If you want another and can afford it, buy it. It will be fast, if you pedal it fast." -- Jr59