Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Easter weekend ride reports - post 'em up

wow, Spring is here and the perfect riding weather is here with it. today was an ideal day for logging some miles. good times.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 PM

We had about 20 mostly B riders out today for our Saturday Morning Ride. We did a few short climbs but it was mainly along the river, so flat to rolling. Great views for this time of year. The pace was friendly although a few of us threw a little power down into the headwind on the way back. This is a picture of the group at the Poet's Seat Tower in Greenfield. I'm just to the right of the Box Truck on the left.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:06 PM

I got out a couple of times this week to enjoy the weather. Glad you're enjoying it as well Nick.

Trying to put a dirt road loop together sometime within the next couple of weeks. Things seem to be drying up nicely, but the roads are a bit rougher than they were in the fall.

Great to be out riding with some sunshine and looking forward to getting some saddle time on my new aquisitions. Bike lust has been fulfilled this winter
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Some local peeps organized the Greasy Joes Gravel Ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170415_093936.jpg (86.3 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by pinkshogun; 04-15-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 PM

No pictures but we put in close to 100 miles over the last two days. 65 came yesterday on a Good Friday ride meant to make us suffer in memory of why we honor Good Fridayl. It was hard but good. Today was a recovery ride that turned into a drag race a couple of times.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM

My buddy is visiting from Chicago so I set up my Cannondale for him to ride (except I forgot to put the bars higher for him ).

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM

No pics either but got in 43 Friday with a buddy and 25 today. Wind was pretty bad today. Rode along Lake Michigan both days. Winter sucks but the rest of the year here in West Michigan is pretty darn nice!!
Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Got in 50mi with ~3,600ft of climbing today under bluebird Pac NW skies...pretty phenomenal...but no pics

A couple interesting things happened though.

1) I weighed my Yamaguchi (Pic Link) after putting on a set of Campy Neutron Ultras with the infamous Open Corsa tires that were so hard to mount - and it was 21.7 lbs with Look Keo Max pedals, 2015 Record 11, Deda Zero 100 bars, a Thomson post, Arundel cages, and a <200g Regale FX saddle...meaning, it must be an extremely heavy frameset because those parts aren't WW light, but they aren't old-school heavy either...will find out when I do a teardown/rebuild in the next couple days... Anyway, I left for the ride feeling a little bummed about how heavy it was, and had that in mind on all the hills.

and

2) Even though I was out riding at a conversational pace, meaning not pushing it into Z5 or even high Z4 all ride, I pulled PRs on two long climbs (Dorland and Logie for the locals)...which I only realized after getting back and pulling out my phone (wasn't riding with any live speed/distance/time today) to turn off Strava.

I guess I'm getting in better shape? The previous PRs were set last Fall on a 15.5 lb wunderbike and had me nearly blowing chunks...and I haven't lost the 6.2 lbs difference in body weight or anything.

Interesting stuff.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
My buddy is visiting from Chicago so I set up my Cannondale for him to ride (except I forgot to put the bars higher for him ).
That building is a perfect background to do some sexy shots of your Serotta against! There's a thread out there recently that had tips on taking good bike photos...you know, making art, vs. cataloging the ride (which is what I mostly do).
Old 04-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Got in 50mi with ~3,600ft of climbing today under bluebird Pac NW skies...pretty phenomenal...but no pics

A couple interesting things happened though.

1) I weighed my Yamaguchi (Pic Link) after putting on a set of Campy Neutron Ultras with the infamous Open Corsa tires that were so hard to mount - and it was 21.7 lbs with Look Keo Max pedals, 2015 Record 11, Deda Zero 100 bars, a Thomson post, Arundel cages, and a <200g Regale FX saddle...meaning, it must be an extremely heavy frameset because those parts aren't WW light, but they aren't old-school heavy either...will find out when I do a teardown/rebuild in the next couple days... Anyway, I left for the ride feeling a little bummed about how heavy it was, and had that in mind on all the hills.

and

2) Even though I was out riding at a conversational pace, meaning not pushing it into Z5 or even high Z4 all ride, I pulled PRs on two long climbs (Dorland and Logie for the locals)...which I only realized after getting back and pulling out my phone (wasn't riding with any live speed/distance/time today) to turn off Strava.

I guess I'm getting in better shape? The previous PRs were set last Fall on a 15.5 lb wunderbike and had me nearly blowing chunks...and I haven't lost the 6.2 lbs difference in body weight or anything.

Interesting stuff.
Bike weight isn't everything. I find that I ride better when I'm comfortable. Wheels and tires can make more of a difference than overall frame weight as well.

I love my neutrons for climbing and overall performance. I find them to be the best bang for buck wheel out there and paired with some nice vittorias or veloflex tires they seem to eat up anything in front of them regardless of the frameset and build they are accompanied by.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Happy Easter to me, Built this up this morning then had a nice 35 mile shakedown ride around the hood
[IMG]Cherry good day by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Happy Easter to me, Built this up this morning then had a nice 35 mile shakedown ride around the hood
[IMG]Cherry good day by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Sweet build! Those parts would look great on any frameset, but I think they fit the blue very nicely..
Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 PM

60ish miles around Orange County, CA, mostly at or near the beach. low 70s, not a cloud in the sky, light wind, went with a friend I haven't ridden with in what felt like forever. Good coffee break, good convo, and I felt like my form is coming back around since I changed up some of my riding routine. It was a great day on the bike.
Best part was coming home and hanging with my kids all day and talking about Easter stuff though.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 PM

A bit muddy, but sunny and crisp in Steamboat, CO today.

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 04-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That building is a perfect background to do some sexy shots of your Serotta against! There's a thread out there recently that had tips on taking good bike photos...you know, making art, vs. cataloging the ride (which is what I mostly do).
It is a cool building. Problem is I hate stopping, and usually there's a bunch of cars in front of it. My friend needed a break so we stopped and it was early enough that there were no cars yet.