Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnooks View Post
So, this morning, same spot, same goose. He recognized me from 50 yards away. Stood up and puffed up his chest..
I took my chances with the traffic on the road this time, lol
Lolz. I've been updating my wife on this story, she thinks it's pretty funny too.

On a side note, I've lived all around the US in my life and have been around geese a few times. Even had them get blustery, but I was never really afraid of them. Reading this thread though I didnt realize they can actually injure you that badly. I'll definitely be more careful around them in the future.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:19 PM

Re:

When my oldest daughter was three she was attacked while we were in a park. I grabbed her, put my back between her and the goose, and walked away. The goose wouldn't let her alone and kept after her. I ended up turning and kicking a field goal. The goose got up and waddled off... guess it was ok.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Thank you

Flying rats 🐭

Don't even stop when they are in the road 🚲🚘🐭⚰️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Canada Goose.....

Nature's equivalent to s big, flying rat

Just sayin'

😎

BK
SN# HC-54-265
Old 04-15-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
So, this morning, same spot, same goose. He recognized me from 50 yards away. Stood up and puffed up his chest..
I took my chances with the traffic on the road this time, lol
That's because he knows you are afraid. If you would have kicked his butt real good when he went after you the first time, he would pretend you weren't there.
Drive down the bike path and stand your ground next time and he will leave you alone. He's just a goose and the pinches they do with their bills don't hurt much and the damage you can do is real to him. He knows you can kill him easily if you are brave. He's not stupid.

I grew up raising animals and my grandfather had a farm with lots of geese. They know when you're scared.

Last edited by bikinchris; 04-15-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
That's because he knows you are afraid. If you would have kicked his butt real good when he went after you the first time, he would pretend you weren't there.
Drive down the bike path and stand your ground next time and he will leave you alone. He's just a goose and the pinches they do with their bills don't hurt much and the damage you can do is real to him. He knows you can kill him easily if you are brave. He's not stupid.

I grew up raising animals and my grandfather had a farm with lots of geese. They know when you're scared.
It's kind of hard to fight a goose while riding a bike, and if I stop to kick its butt, I'll end up in jail for animal cruelty. Remember, this is in the city next to a very busy 4 lane road, not on my grandfather's farm.
Not to mention the fact that I really don't want to hurt any animal, especially because there's no need to. It's not that much trouble to just give it more space.

Last edited by jasnooks; 04-16-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It's kind of hard to fight a goose while riding a bike, and if I stop to kick its butt, I'll end up in jail for animal cruelty. Remember, this is in the city next to a very busy 4 lane road, not on my grandfather's farm.
Not to mention the fact that I really don't want to hurt any animal, especially because there's no need to. It's not that much trouble to just give it more space.
That reminds me of the driver who flipped a school bus avoiding a dog. At some point putting yourself in the hospital (or die) to avoid hurting an animal is not smart.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
This is how I feel as well.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
That reminds me of the driver who flipped a school bus avoiding a dog. At some point putting yourself in the hospital (or die) to avoid hurting an animal is not smart.
This is definitely some sort of faulty reasoning. False equivalency? One Canada goose and a cyclist do not equal a flipped school bus.

What's cool is that the goose territoriality can center on incredible goslings. Have you seen them? At the right stage, they look like extra fuzzy tennis balls.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Lanterne rouge

Next time, roll through there dressed like a chef with a BBQ. Maybe then he will get the idea.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Big buggers, those geese. They occasionally hang around my girlfriends pond; I detest them, they each crap about 2 pounds a day.

One tried chasing me once, I ran right at him. Better to get on the offensive with them. Now swans, that's a different story; especially if you are in a kayak.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
This is definitely some sort of faulty reasoning. False equivalency? One Canada goose and a cyclist do not equal a flipped school bus.

What's cool is that the goose territoriality can center on incredible goslings. Have you seen them? At the right stage, they look like extra fuzzy tennis balls.
Caring more about the animal than personal safety is not false equivalency.

Call the goose's bluff. Run at him and scream. He will run away. It will keep him from getting hurt trying to attack you.

Last edited by bikinchris; 04-17-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM

Goose make tasty jerky

Just sayin.

For the meat eaters.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
cnighbor2

Hence the term I was gloosed came about

Hence the term I was gloosed came about
Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Caring more about the animal than personal safety is not false equivalency.

Call the goose's bluff. Run at him and scream. He will run away. It will keep him from getting hurt trying to attack you.
Op here.

I haven't seen the goose since the day I rode around him, until this morning...

Up until now I've been riding thru that area on pins and needles, getting ready to confront my bully. Basically getting ready to throw down with a goose..

He found a new spot to hang out, about a hundred yards further down the road.

We both spotted each other at the same time, and as he stood up, I was like "it's on". He started his **** again, and I looked right at him and yelled "F#+# OFF"! After that he was still trying to act like he was in charge, but he didn't come at me.

6 hours later when I was heading back thru the area,I saw him again.. This time he stood up, didn't make a sound turned away, and he walked away from the bike path.

So anyways, Chris thank you for the advice. You helped me retain my eyeballs, and you also helped prevent the goose from becoming dinner, lol

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk