Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 PM

I was a Sidi guy, and clipless guy for years. Tried flats and 5 10s as kind of a fluke, haven't looked back, have them on all my mountain bikes now.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 PM
shimergo

Thanks everyone. I've narrowed my search down to a few shoes.

Regarding carbon soled shoes, will there be any issues using Time ATAC cleats on them? These cleats, when fully tightened down, create an indent to prevent unwanted movement.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Thanks everyone. I've narrowed my search down to a few shoes.

Regarding carbon soled shoes, will there be any issues using Time ATAC cleats on them? These cleats, when fully tightened down, create an indent to prevent unwanted movement.
I would suggest using some kind of sole protector that goes in between the cleat and the sole. There are a few varieties out there, crank brothers are the best I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brother.../dp/B014Q1LJDK
Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
(...) Guess its only me but the narrowness of the last easily makes them ankle breakers. (..)
Are you aware of the Sidi "Mega" versions of their shoes that are extra wide?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...FUKUfgodxfkPFA

I'm a really big fan of these guys. I've been riding them for about two years now and they've worn pretty nicely. I can't say that I'm an expert on MTB shoes as these are only my second pair, but they feel better and more durable than my previous SIDIs.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:30 PM

I've been very happy with the comfort and durability of my Giro Privateers. Going to try to wear these out.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
I've been very happy with the comfort and durability of my Giro Privateers. Going to try to wear these out.
How are yours holding up? I had a pair of the original Privateers from ~2012 and wore out the fabric on the inside of the shoes a little quicker than I would have liked. I was happy with their comfort and performance though, I'd give them another shot as I'm sure they've updated their materials since then.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 AM
it's all nuts!!

you will like these, they are not nuts.

nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

Old 05-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Has anyone tried the Diadora X Vortex Pro shoes that Fogrider linked to earlier in this thread? I've just ordered two pair from Chain Reaction in adjacent sizes. Like the dual Boa design, but don't know how they fit.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benneke View Post
How are yours holding up? I had a pair of the original Privateers from ~2012 and wore out the fabric on the inside of the shoes a little quicker than I would have liked. I was happy with their comfort and performance though, I'd give them another shot as I'm sure they've updated their materials since then.
I've got only about a hundred rides on these, but no signs of wear.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm a big fan of Lake shoes.

I have the CX-specific version from last year that I'll ride gravel on then race em in the fall.

M
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 AM

I had some Shimano MTB shoes that are pretty comfortable, but the upper tore after just a couple months of routine use. Shimano eventually replaced them on a warranty claim, but they made the warranty process WAY more of a hassle than it needed to be.

To wit:

I sent them the defective shoes. They sent me a replacement. But they sent me the wrong size.

When I contacted them about the wrong size, they insisted at that point that I go through my LBS. My LBS does not sell or deal with Shimano shoes and was not super eager to deal with the warranty claim, although they did because I know the staff.

I eventually got a replacement pair of shoes that have held up well, but they whole warranty process annoyed me. What difference does it make if I fill out the warranty claim form versus the LBS doing it? What if I lived in an area without access to an LBS that would be willing to deal with it? Etc.

I also find this somewhat ironic and inconsistent given Shimano's overall "let's screw the LBS as hard as possible" business practices.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Diadora

I had a pair of the road version for a while-
Weird fit and not for me.
They were high volume but not at all wide. Made for someone with a high instep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Has anyone tried the Diadora X Vortex Pro shoes that Fogrider linked to earlier in this thread? I've just ordered two pair from Chain Reaction in adjacent sizes. Like the dual Boa design, but don't know how they fit.