Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 03:06 PM
shimergo

New MTB Shoe Recommendations?

I own only 1 pair of clipless shoes, Sidi Dominator 5, that is currently used for everything from commuting, road bike, gravel, and MTB (including technical stuff).

At this point, it's safe to say they need to be replaced. These have served me well, so I was looking at getting another pair of Dominators.

However, there's a ton of options now that might be equivalent and possibly cheaper. Am I missing anything by going with another pair of Sidis?

I've tried out some Giros (VR70, Privateer) and some Shimanos, which felt great and are lower in price.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Here's the killer deal:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...c90-shoes-mens
Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM

yes, there are lots of options! I too had to replace my worn out MTB shoes and looked those that you mentioned. I wanted carbon and boas but they were crazy money. I ended up with these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod156200

sizes are limited, but these guys have others for good prices. I found that there is no padding under the boas (stuck some velcro, (ironic?) on there and its fine).
Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Currently riding Mavic Fury's and Sidi Drako's after migrating from Sidi Ergo 2's and 3 bolt pedals towards SPD's. Purchased both pairs used for screaming cheap...

Both fit well, though the sz 45 Drako's don't quite fit the same as my previous sz 45 Ergo 2's. Drako's seem a bit fuller and the lorica does not breath quite as well as the mesh. The Fury's are great but they just aren't quite as beefy as the Drako's, seeming almost slipper like. Really like the closure system, but just doesn't seem as robust as the Drako's.

Love the adjustment of the Drako's which provide the Sidi feel/fit in spades. Only caveat is I would have prefered a size smaller( 44.5 ) Drako given the newer fit. Still work, just not as 'perfect' as my Ergo 2's where.

The carbon soles on both are quite stiff, enough so that there is NO flex, but with the recessed SPD clea walkable w/o any concern or issue.

Was also considering the VR70's but couldn't pass up the pricing on either of these.

Standard YMMV clause applies of course.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 PM

The new shimano xc7 is a little bit awesome. Available in wide or normal sizes.
I normally wear sidi but made the switch and am very happy
Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 AM

I replaced my dominator 5s with a pair of VR90s from treefort when they were on sale last year for 165. I also went up a size form 42 to 43.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Have the expert (Boa) and the older comp (velcro) great shoes!
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/shoes/mountain
Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered (ab)User

If I can convince myself that their Megas actually fit my foot, I'll probably try the Sidi Dragon 4 as my next shoe, just so I can experience what all the hubbub is about ...but I've spent the past 10+ years in Specialized and Gaerne shoes, and have no complaints. The Gaerne especially are a very high quality shoe (ostensibly made in the same Italian town where the Sidi factory is!) that was ridiculously underpriced compared to the competition.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 PM

I am a big fan of a less racer-y shoe. The new shoes with rubber/vibram soles are just great. I have been using the Mavic Crossride XL Elite for the past year and think they are pretty much perfect. The traction off the bike is so worth it. If you have to scramble up some rocks or walk through the office lobby..

Review: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2016/08/...e-protect.html

-Joe
Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Giro Terraduros have been perfect for me.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:59 AM

I always go with SIDI - I have had good experiences and longevity I also really like the DRAKO -
Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM

I just got the Shimano ME-7 shoes. So far I really like them - nice fit for my narrow foot and great soles for when you have to walk a tough section of trail.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM

I'm on my 3rd pair of Dominators, and they fit very close to the road shoes which is a plus.

Guess its only me but the narrowness of the last easily makes them ankle breakers. Just saying. I went with the Dominator (7) again because they fit, and I'm very picking about shoe fit. That and with shipping to Honolulu, it costs a fortune to go through the return process.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM

I am also switching from ergo2s to a mtb shoe. last week I got the giro vr90 for $180. today they went up to $221 but they always send you voucher codes so worth signing up to the mailing list.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-...ntrySelected=Y
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't be afraid to try less boutique brands.. I've loved Specialized shoes in the past, I love the 2 pairs of Bontrager shoes I have now. Heck I've never really been unhappy with any bike shoes, I had Shimano and DMT shoes in the past too and was very happy with them. One of the things I've been most happy about with Spec. Ed. and Bontrager is in both cases they tend to make road and MTB version of the same shoe.. so you can easily go buy one pair of each and they fit identically, even to the point of being able to buy one pair of orthotics/insoles and they fit perfectly in both.

I went in a couple years ago and tried on Sidi and Fizik and they just didn't fit me well enough to justify the sky high prices, particularly the Fizik shoes.. ugly, seemed like the leather was too delicate/fashionable, and they had a huge built in carbon fiber arch that didn't work for my foot.

There's something out there for everyone.