Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Strong Walker

i mix shaving with a regular razor, with an electric razor (Braun 3 Series), and not shaving much at all intermittently. Pretty much the only thing that *doesn't* work for me multibladed gadgets.. i very much prefer one of these:

blades are inexpensive and double as useful household items for countless purposes, too.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 AM

Might try a different blade. I was not able to get Harry's to work for me. Went back to Mach III.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:35 AM

Shaver

I am surprised that Harry's does not work for you but it may be because of the close spacing of the blades as compared to the Mach 3.

I don't think that switching between electric and blade shaving is good over the longer term because there is a prior of time for your beard to adjust to the electric razor.

I have not tried Dollar Shave Club but that might be worth a try. Gillette blades are crazy expensive.

Ray
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Might try a different blade. I was not able to get Harry's to work for me. Went back to Mach III.
I think this might be your problem. You can buy variety packs of double edge blades from Amazon for just this reason. Blades are like saddles, they seem so personal. Most of the highly recommended blades cut the crap out of my face, Gillette silver blue work well for me and they are $15 for 100 blades!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM
n - 1

Lots of good thoughts. I'm past my prime but still have a few things to learn, I guess. Thanks for the tips on shaving. Tried yesterday and this morning, and definitely made a difference.

But I think I'll still try out the electric. Seems much less of hassle and time consuming. If it doesn't work out, I'll try out the other suggestions/tips. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Shifty Member

Different blades make a difference. You using cartridge blades? I have really sensitive skin and use a DE with feather blades. There was a learning curve, but a really good shave. I use a Norelco 6800 for days when I don't have the time for a proper shave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Daniel

If the Harry's isn't working for you, I agree with the advice to try some more products...but if electric is appealing to you (it is for more but I had bad luck with them--more to follow), then it's worth a try if you can find a way that lets you test drive at home.

No one here is sharing these deets, but I think it's important to note what your beard is like. Sure most guys' beards are coarser than the hair on their heads, but the hair on my head is very course. And curly. My father in law cut my hair once 10 years ago commented that my hair is "like wires." Ten years later, he still brings it up. For me, I can shave my face just fine, but my neck is much more sensitive due to the coarseness and curliness of the hair and since the grain goes in the other direction.

Many moons ago, I bought a top of the line Norelco or Braun or whatever at Best Buy with the extended warranty and over the course of the next 6-12 months, I tried all of their top razors, each for more than 30 days. None of them could shave me without irritation, even when I tried different products and techniques.

Following that and a period of experimentation, I have landed on the follow products and technique:

1) Shave after your shower
2) Pre shave oil. You can buy some that is marketed such, use olive oil, or like me, jojoba oil.
3) Shaving brush to brush on shaving soap
4) Double edge safety razor*
5) Shave slowly, with minimal pressure, with the grain, rinsing the blade as you go. Change the blade often. I typically only use my blades once**
6) Rinse your face with COLD water afterward (some people even use ice cubes) and PAT dry.

*I started with a no name razor from eBay, with Derby blades. I've upgraded to a Merkur (German) razor with Feather (Japan) blades. There are loads of nice DE razors out there, including vintage--maybe even your grandpa's!

**The Derby blades seemed to last longer. If/when changing brands see what you can get away with. The Feathers shave better, but don't last as long for me. Changing blades daily may sound crazy-go-nuts coming from the $10 blades on the Mach 9 (or whatever) you're used to, but DE blades are pennies a piece. And it's your face and comfort!

One final note on DE razors: you travelers may be dismayed, as I was, that 1) you can't fly with blades and 2) even the razor with out a blade has had me pulled aside at the airport, so I now travel with a Harry's triple blade contraption. I shave with the Harry's while I'm out of town, but to 5 shaves on the blade. I've been flying weekly all year (and only in frequently before), so I have good faith in the Harry's razors, provided you follow the other 5 steps in the above manifesto.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 PM

I recently returned to shaving after a couple years away from the practice. Going back to a DE or Straight shave daily seemed a little daunting after so much time away from a razor for anything other than some neck cleanup. I ended up ordering a Norelco One Blade electric. It's become an ideal solution for me. It does not provide a close shave, quiet the opposite. The uniform 5 o'clock works for me 99% of the time and it seems impossible to get any sort of razor burn or ingrown hairs. I reached for a regular straight razor for the first time in weeks this morning for a funeral, and I don't expect to use one again anytime soon.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 PM

Norelco for me for the past 35 years. I have tried other electrics but I prefer the Norelco. I hated blades but everyone is different.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
If the Harry's isn't working for you...
1) Shave after your shower
... other 5 steps in the above manifesto.
I forgot about this. The steaming in the shower definitely assists in softening the hairs, making for a smoother shave. Good tip.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 AM

blades

I shave in the shower. Lather up when I get in; wash and rinse the rest of my body and then shave just before I get out. After the shave, rinse my face and head with cool water and then get out.
I typically shave every 3rd day or so and this method works for me. I use Harry's razor and blades.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:33 AM

I do the same steps as 559rando, with similar tools but not always all the steps due to time constraints or stubble length. Longer is easier and doesn't require anything but shave cream.

I used a Braun and it worked fine for me but was not ideal for me besides a touch up. Safety razors are the way to go, imo. Never had such an easy and smooth shave.

I make my own simple oil, and use a German brand for shave cream that is fantastic but difficult to find. I use Amazon since they usually have it. Wife tried it once and now she uses it too...

https://www.amazon.com/Speick-Shave-.../dp/B0012XXDG2
Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM
n - 1

As a follow up, 9 days later: It seems my face is made for e-shavers. Zero cuts, adequately smooth results. No transition, or time needed to get acclimated. Great results from day 1. Doesn't get as close as a blade in some spots, but does the job well enough, and quickly. I don't think I'll be going back to blades anytime soon.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
As a follow up, 9 days later: It seems my face is made for e-shavers. Zero cuts, adequately smooth results. No transition, or time needed to get acclimated. Great results from day 1. Doesn't get as close as a blade in some spots, but does the job well enough, and quickly. I don't think I'll be going back to blades anytime soon.
I found this out 30 years ago. Never used a blade since. Remember that preshave (Williams or other) can really make it smooth and effortless.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I found this out 30 years ago. Never used a blade since. Remember that preshave (Williams or other) can really make it smooth and effortless.
I've tried a few. I hate the smell of the Williams Lectric Shave. I've been using this Lab Series stuff. http://www.labseries.com/product/153...ion/index.tmpl. It's still alcohol based, but it works well and doesn't smell. It's sold at Macy's, but I order it three bottles at a time online. A bottle lasts about 2 months for me.